Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY: Fixing Doorlocks that open with any key...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Fixing Doorlocks that open with any key...

So I recently bought a 92 civic vx, and one of the problems I noticed with it was a difficult door lock. In order to open the door, you had to kind of wiggle the key around, and when it did unlock, it didn't feel quite right. While messing around with it, i was slightly alarmed to discover that I could open it with any of my honda keys, with just a little bit of wiggling. As if hondas aren't easy enough to break in to....

Anyway, I took the lock mechanisim apart, and quickly discovered the problem. My integra also feels kind of the same, so I figured this probably isn't that out of the ordinary. I am tired of always hearing about hondas getting broken into, so this DIY is my attemt to make it just a little bit harder to get into our cars...

Tools Needed:
Phillips Screwdriver
Small Pliers or some sort of small hook-type tool

Parts Needed:
Door Lock Cylinder Kit (honda P/N 06725-SR3-305 for EG drivers side)
This will run you $18.34 on majestic honda.

Procedure:

1. Remove the door panel. You should know how to do this, but for my car it involved a screw in the door handle, one in the cup on the armrest, and one plastic body fastner in the upper right side of the door panel. Then just pull around the edge until it pops loose.

2. Remove the door lock cylinder. The FSM would have you remove the whole handler assembly, but the easiest way I found to do this is to just push down on the clip with the arrows pointing at it in the picture below. Make sure you don't lose the clip, but once it is out the lock cylinder will slide out(towards the inside of the car). Once it is out of the handle, it is easy to just slide it off the end of the lock rod.

3.Here is what the lock cylinder will look like when you remove it:

4. Remove the e-clip on the end of the lock cylinder. You can usually push it off with a screwdriver.

5. Remove the plastic lever arm, spring and spring holder, and then carefully slide the moving section of the cylinder out of the sleeve(it will slide out the front). You need to be careful, because the lock plates are spring loaded, and will try to launch out the side of the moving section as you remove it.

This is the moving part of the lock:

6. Inspect the fixed part of the lock. The picture below shows why my locks weren't working. As you can see, the lock plates had basically eaten away at the housing. This was basically creating a ramp, that would push them into position when you tried to turn the lock, whether or not you had the correct key.

7. Open up your new lock cylinder kit, and lay it out with the old parts. As you can see, it comes with basically everything you need, except the lock plates.:

8. The lock plates are just slid into the moving part of the lock. They have very small springs behind them, which hold them in position. You will need to reuse these plates and their springs, so be very careful to not lose anything. It makes a lot of sense to have a clean, flat surface to work on, so nothing rolls away.

Remove the lowest lock plate and it's spring. I would suggest cleaning it at this point, as mine were covered with crap, that was probably making the lock work poorly.

9. Once you clean the lock plate, you should be able to read a number on it. This number corresponds to the shape of the key, and allows you to order an exact replacement, if any of your plates are worn or damaged.

Slide the spring, and then the lock plate into the new housing. Make sure you put it in the slot the corresponds to the one you removed it from on the old housing(I shouldn't have to say this, but you never know).

10. Repeat the above two steps for the remaining parts, one at a time so you dont get them mixed up. When you are done it should look like this:

11. Carefully compress the lock plates, and slide the whole assembly into the new housing. Be careful not to let go of anything suddenly, as the springs will shoot the lock plates across the room.

12. Slide the spring onto the end of the assembly, and then place the plastic lever arm on top. Reinstall the e-clip.

13. Reinstall everything in the car. Everything goes in the reverse order of removal: Lock cylinder onto lock bar, slide into handle housing, re-install the retaining clip. Test it all with your key, and it should turn easier and, of course, only work with the correct key for the car...
Old 02-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: Fixing Doorlocks that open with any key... (MatHadder)

Great write up! This needs to be added to the how to section for sure
Old 02-29-2008, 04:11 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice

Maybe a stupid question.. but you do still use the same key??
Old 02-29-2008, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good write up.this is might what i need to fix my door lock. thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: Fixing Doorlocks that open with any key... (crazyguy)

This is indeed a very good write up
Old 02-29-2008, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jimmy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice

Maybe a stupid question.. but you do still use the same key??</TD></TR></TABLE>

The brass plates with the little springs determine which key actuates the lock. Since he reused them, the original key would still work.

OP: Nice writeup!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:52 AM

Default Re: DIY: Fixing Doorlocks that open with any key... (marquisdee1018)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marquisdee1018 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is indeed a very good write up </TD></TR></TABLE>
x2
Old 02-29-2008, 07:00 AM
cute little bastard

damn, i hope i dont **** this up
Old 02-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaiJekBok)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaiJekBok &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The brass plates with the little springs determine which key actuates the lock. Since he reused them, the original key would still work.

OP: Nice writeup!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, exactly. The number code is printed on the plates, so you can order new ones if you want to, but you would need to take the lock apart first to figure out what numbers you need.

Also, it is probably a good idea to write the numbers down, in order, as you transfer them. This way if something goes wrong and they launch all over the place, you will be able to put them back together correctly.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn, i hope i dont **** this up</TD></TR></TABLE>

The main thing is just to make sure you dont loose any of the little springs, and make sure the plates dont fall out. If you are careful, it shouldnt really be a problem.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 AM

im missing the whole key cylinder kit and no i dont want to spend over three hundred dollars. I am curious however if i buy one off of any honda at a junkyard and just take it to a lock smith to re-key it, will it work
Old 02-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SolScifi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SolScifi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im missing the whole key cylinder kit and no i dont want to spend over three hundred dollars. I am curious however if i buy one off of any honda at a junkyard and just take it to a lock smith to re-key it, will it work</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, it will.

This has been going on for years now with being able to use any key. Glad you took the time to figure it out.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:18 AM

Majestic Honda better have a fat stock of those kits.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ic3tray)

Good write up. Its funny how many of my friends cars i can open with my key; but what if someone wanted mine?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SolScifi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SolScifi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im missing the whole key cylinder kit and no i dont want to spend over three hundred dollars. I am curious however if i buy one off of any honda at a junkyard and just take it to a lock smith to re-key it, will it work</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you missing both sides? If not, take out your passenger side, make note of the number code on the seven plates, and then order the cylinder kit I used above, and the correct plates individually, along with the little springs. The lock plates are only about $3 each, and you need seven of them, along with the little springs, which are also about $3 each. You should be able to build yourself a brand new lock cylinder, that works with your original key, for about $60.

Another option would be to grab a couple of lock cylinders from a junkyard, and then try to piece them together to match your original lock...
Old 02-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Shenanigans

Default Re: (MatHadder)

hmm now if only you could do this with the ignition....i can start my car with any honda key

nice wright up
Old 03-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H22Ej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22Ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm now if only you could do this with the ignition....i can start my car with any honda key

nice wright up </TD></TR></TABLE>

The ignition cylinder is probably pretty similar, so it is probably doable. None of my cars are having that problem, though, otherwise I would probably try to figure it out.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MatHadder)

Old 04-03-2008, 08:05 PM

bump... everyone should be doing this
Old 07-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a used 93 Civic. The passenger door lock was not working at all. The key would insert, but it would not turn. Or now and then it would turn, and one could at least open the lock. Sometimes one could close it, too.

Thanks to the instructions here, I took the lock (and now a few others) apart. I found that removing all but the two most outboard lock plates allows me to open the lock consistently, and sometimes I can close it, too. I also bent one of the levers connecting the lock mechanism to the door latch, and this helped as well. Everything's been cleaned and lubed.

From two junkyard locks, I rebuilt one to fit my key. Again I get only intermittent correct operation.

New lockplates? Cylinder (though my symptoms are not the OP's)? Or new key from the dealer? The original key appears quite worn. Two more "new" keys came from the used car dealer (a Nissan new car dealer normally), but they are not technically Honda keys.

Tip if the lock plates fall out in a mess: Disassemble the trunk lock. It's pretty easy access.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You sure know your way around fumbling with key locks/holes. Hmmm, makes me wonder....

Good job though, I should look into this too, I have to wiggle my key around as well to open it.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Default Re: DIY: Fixing Doorlocks that open with any key...

Great writeup. My driver's door lock was inoperable. I followed the OP's instructions. It was very easy. The only two differences I found were:

1. The new cylinder from Honda came complete with the brass plates and two new matching keys. Maybe Honda has changed the packaging since '08?

2. My old key was so worn that when I switched brass plates, the old key wouldn't turn the lock. I ended up reinstalling the new plates in the new cylinder.

I now use two different door keys, one for the driver side and the other for the passenger and hatchback. Surprisingly, the old worn key works fine on the other two locks.

Thanks

Paulw
94 Civic VX
Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PaulW
Great writeup. My driver's door lock was inoperable. I followed the OP's instructions. It was very easy. The only two differences I found were:

1. The new cylinder from Honda came complete with the brass plates and two new matching keys. Maybe Honda has changed the packaging since '08?

2. My old key was so worn that when I switched brass plates, the old key wouldn't turn the lock. I ended up reinstalling the new plates in the new cylinder.

I now use two different door keys, one for the driver side and the other for the passenger and hatchback. Surprisingly, the old worn key works fine on the other two locks.

Thanks

Paulw
94 Civic VX
Hmmm seems like the problem I was having with some lock cylinders. I put the plates into a new cylinder that wasn't worn out and the key didn't want to turn the lock. I thought I did something wrong , but nope

Is there also a way to change out the trunks? The trunk lock looks pretty solid....

GREAT DIY BTW!!!

Last edited by Syper; 12-14-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:44 AM

Nice write up...gonna do this on my winter beater.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sence your good with keys and shyt my key just falls out of my egnition i can turn the car on and just dip with the key in my pocket if i wanted to
Old 12-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am glad this 2008 post got dug back up. Great info, I am having the same problems with my drivers door lock cylinder so I will be replacing them shortly. Looks like prices have gone up. Each key cylinder on Hondapartsunlimited is roughly 30 bucks, looks like they do indeed come with a key now days though, I called my local Honda dealer to see if they had them in stock, they didn't and wanted $43 per lock cylinder. I need to get this done soon though but am going to try and find it cheaper.

Quick Reply: DIY: Fixing Doorlocks that open with any key...