Go Back   Honda-Tech > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate > Electronics, Gaming & Photography
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
b18C1_liLkyLe
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default How do I reformat? - Dell laptop did not come with disk(s)

Hey guys,

I've had my laptop for about 2 years now and its gotten extremely sluggish and all I want to do is reformat this thing and start fresh. The problem is..unlike every other computer I've had in the past, it did not come with a reformatting disk. But, it did have a "OS recovery" disk file that I burned out from the computer on my own. Now..I thought it was odd that it had me burn this thing out on my own because in the event my computer crapped on itself I don't know how I was supposed to get this accomplished but luckily that did not happen.

Anyway.. I put the disk in and a window popped up prompting me to re-install Windows XP. Now, my question is..will doing this effectively erase everything on my hard-drive ect. and in effect pretty much reformat my computer or did Dell just **** on the new buyers and not offer them the option of actually reformatting and force us to want to buy something new?

Cliffs: I want to reformat my Dell Inspiron 700m purchased 2 years ago but it did
not come with any disks like my other computers have in the past that allow
me to do so. BUT..it does have a "OS recovery" cd I burned out which looks
to be only a Windows XP cd.

*By 'burned out' I mean that under programs
and in the folder "Dell" there was a tab labeled "OS Recovery disk" that then
told me to insert a blank disk and then proceeded to burn the "recovery"
software onto it.

PM me or post a response. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
rAndal-
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: How do I reformat? - Dell laptop did not come with disk(s) (b18C1_liLkyLe)

It is more and more common that oems aren't including recovery disks so its not too surprising. From the sound of the process you went through it seems you should be fine reloading from that disc you made.
rAndal- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 AM   #3
soulrider4ever
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to soulrider4ever
Default Re: How do I reformat? - Dell laptop did not come with disk(s) (b18C1_liLkyLe)

it'll probably work, I'd just try to BOOT from it rather than run it from within windows. Then make sure anywhere it says to repair you say no, and delete/erase all partitions.

PS - I'd backup my dell drivers folder first (to a CD/Flash drive) GL Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:00 AM   #4
Splat
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: How do I reformat? - Dell laptop did not come with disk(s) (soulrider4ever)

You *should* be able to format the data partition as part of the OS reinstall. Just don't delete or format the utility or recovery partition, whatever they call it now.

I believe she's going down,
I believe we're gonna die die die!
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
awang
Garage is empty, add now

if you call dell, they'll provide you with some
Old 02-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
Hatchy-Ownzjo0
H-T Poker champion
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Hatchy-Ownzjo0

I hate that ****. If I ever buy another computer from a company I will refuse to buy it if they do not send me the OS and Driver CDs. People should be able to reformat their computers without going through a bunch of BS because the companies dont want to give you the CDs anymore. Click the image to open in full size.

I'm building my next PC anyway.. Meh.

More like BRZ-OwnzJo0, amirite!?
Hatchy-Ownzjo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
b18C1_liLkyLe
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks guys,

Wow, so I guess I was right then. I didn't think they would actually start doing this crap (not providing you with reformat disks). Can't believe those bastards. They better send me the disks when I call them.

I consider myself a 'better-than-average' computer user but once people start mentioning partitions I get worried so I don't think I'm going to try messing with that. When I hear "make sure you dont..." then I pretty much know that I'm not going to try it. Lol.

I'm just going to call Dell up and demand these miserable f*cks just send me the disks.

Thanks again HT!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Splat
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker
Garage is empty, add now

Everyone does the restore partition these days. Mainly because people were bitching about getting all these discs in the box they had to keep up with Click the image to open in full size.

I believe she's going down,
I believe we're gonna die die die!
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
Danny_EJ
Garage is empty, add now

Every Dell I recieve (5-10/week) comes with the restore CD. Hell even the replacement hard drives have the options of coming pre-imaged with the original OS. I think you just discarded yours. I must have 100 of those green dell restore cds which work excellent by the way! No key needed Bios check FTW.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
byronl
Honda-Tech Member
1999 Acura Integra

I think the recovery disk will pretty much re-install xp to when u first got ur dell, so all the bs programs dell provided u with n stuff when u first got the comp will b there when u use that disk. At least, that's how it was with my compaq when i used those recovery disks some time ago. compaq POS.
byronl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #11
tonyxcom
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: How do I reformat? - Dell laptop did not come with disk(s) (byronl)

if you didnt choose the option when ordering the computer to have them provide the OS cd, then you wont get it.

Kinda like how most mcdonalds wont give you any napkins or condiments unless you specifically ask for it.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:12 AM   #12
Danny_EJ
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: How do I reformat? - Dell laptop did not come with disk(s) (byronl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom
if you didnt choose the option when ordering the computer to have them provide the OS cd, then you wont get it.

Kinda like how most mcdonalds wont give you any napkins or condiments unless you specifically ask for it.
nope its just a scratch XP install. You have to actually manually install some drivers too
Old 02-13-2008, 03:18 AM   #13
Doostur
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Doostur
Default Re: (awang)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awang
if you call dell, they'll provide you with some
True story. I did it for my girls dell I baught her.
Doostur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
Yellowone
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (Doostur)

ctrl+f11 Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #15
Tadehi
Schumacher '10 WDC
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Tadehi
Default Re: How do I reformat? - Dell laptop did not come with disk(s) (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0
I hate that ****. If I ever buy another computer from a company I will refuse to buy it if they do not send me the OS and Driver CDs. People should be able to reformat their computers without going through a bunch of BS because the companies dont want to give you the CDs anymore. Click the image to open in full size.

I'm building my next PC anyway.. Meh.
Building a laptop is different from building a desktop. Ask me how I know Click the image to open in full size.

submit to reddit

Tags
700m, cd, dell, didnt, disc, disk, disks, force, give, inspiron, laptop, os, recovery, reformat, windows, wont