Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

2005 RSX type s turbo or supercharge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 RSX type s turbo or supercharge?

im seriously thinking about one or the other, but i cant make up my mind. i dont know what else i will have to do to the engine either. turbo or supercharge? and what do i need to go with it?
Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 RSX type s turbo or supercharge? (siriussr)

Well, you have a lot of reading to do.

You need to either purchase a kit, or piece together your own.

Then buy a quality tuning device such as Hondata.

Then go have it tuned, professionally.

You are looking at about $2-4k total for either one, depending on your goals.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 RSX type s turbo or supercharge? (portaman03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by portaman03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, you have a lot of reading to do.

You need to either purchase a kit, or piece together your own.

Then buy a quality tuning device such as Hondata.

Then go have it tuned, professionally.

You are looking at about $2-4k total for either one, depending on your goals.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, what he said.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 RSX type s turbo or supercharge? (TriiiME3)

$2-4k sounds a little on the low side...I'de say $4-5k after a good tune. KPro is a K alone.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally, I would go all-motor instead of turbo/supercharging it because of what the car offers. Camshafts, b-pipe and muffler from the exhaust, 4.77 final drive ratio, crankshaft pulley, and the intake snorkel duct which was all taken from the Japanese model Honda Integra Type-R (DC5R). As you can see, it's begging to go all-motor.

Plus, the compression ratio is already up there. Get a good I/H/E combo and a tune. You'll be surprise what kind of numbers it will put down, without a single problem.

Modified by Pat_S at 7:05 AM 2/12/2008
Old 02-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 RSX type s turbo or supercharge? (Pat_S)

thats not a bad idea. how much do you think it would cost to do all that?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Intakes can be had for $50, headers range from $100-700 depending on your preference, and exhausts can be had for extremely cheap ($200) as well.

You're looking at about $400, then an ECU reflash or EMS ($300-1000).
Old 02-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, now about all the computer stuff. what is the best thing to do. there are so many different things and i dont know the difference. what is the best computer upgrade and what is it. is it the piggy-back?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the route portaman told you was a "light" all motor area where pump gas 93+ is what you can run on. If you go the all motor route 93+ is the minimum you can run. If you go anything above 11.5 compression, IMO to be on safeside, Pump gas will no longer be able to keep up and that's where you need to look into higher octane like 100+. To be honest all motor DD is just not going to cut it, how many gas pumps are going to have over 93 octane? Probably none.. if you're lucky you'll find 95 but that's a few in a billion. All motor is meant for track purposes or a "I'll take my car out on a nice day cruise" car. Unless you are rich and can afford 100+ octane (which is very very expensive) then i wouldn't go all motor unless it's the "light" all motor like the typeR which has a 11.5:1 compression. Just remember the higher your compression the higher the octane is required to fuel that bad boy so it doesn't ping to death and blow something.

turbo/supercharger
you're looking at 4-8k. 8k being the highest if you have no slight clue and just go buy kits and get it tuned by a shop etc.... etc.. 4k being minimum if you know exactly what you're doing and know how to find excellent deals and have the hookup.

It's really hard to tell someone to go with turbo or supercharger because everyone is going to give you their opinion and everyone likes different things. I can tell you this tho, a turbo charger will always outflow a supercharger any day of the week. Find someone who has a turbo charged vehicle and somone who has a supercharged vehicle, take a spin in both of them and see how you like them. Also with a turbo charger if you build the motor you can get away with lower octane gas on light boost because of the lower compression.

Best computer upgrade IMO is K-pro hands down is by far the best management system for K-series. No it's not a piggy-back. It's a full engine management system. Don't even think about going piggy-back with these motors it's a waste of money and time.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 RSX type s turbo or supercharge? (risktypeS)

&lt;300 WHP = Supercharger; &gt;300WHP = Turbo. All comes down to how much power you want to make, what your budget is, and how reliable you want the car to be.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 RSX type s turbo or supercharge? (blueshark123)

so i have decided to get headers and exhaust, i already have the CAI. what kind of K-pro is the best? and what still about the turbo or superchgarger?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by risktypeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the route portaman told you was a "light" all motor area where pump gas 93+ is what you can run on. If you go the all motor route 93+ is the minimum you can run. If you go anything above 11.5 compression, IMO to be on safeside, Pump gas will no longer be able to keep up and that's where you need to look into higher octane like 100+. To be honest all motor DD is just not going to cut it, how many gas pumps are going to have over 93 octane? Probably none.. if you're lucky you'll find 95 but that's a few in a billion. All motor is meant for track purposes or a "I'll take my car out on a nice day cruise" car. Unless you are rich and can afford 100+ octane (which is very very expensive) then i wouldn't go all motor unless it's the "light" all motor like the typeR which has a 11.5:1 compression. Just remember the higher your compression the higher the octane is required to fuel that bad boy so it doesn't ping to death and blow something.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just basic bolt-ons and some tuning. He can safely run on 91+.

There is no need for him to go all ***** out and put pump gas with that mild setup.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siriussr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i have decided to get headers and exhaust, i already have the CAI. what kind of K-pro is the best? and what still about the turbo or superchgarger?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can only put one header on a k20. If you get header and exhaust you will trash that when u go turbo.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 RSX type s turbo or supercharge? (blueshark123)

what if i supercharge it? will they still not work? why wont the rest of the exhaust work with a turbo?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you supercharge it then you would have to only get rid of your intake manifold.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what is the fuel economy difference between supercharging and turbo-ing?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bro, it depends on how you drive.

howstuffworks.com read all about anything.

Just search turbo or supercharger.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

currently i get about 21 mpg. thats been constant for me for about 2 months.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:02 PM

Turbo is less reliable, supercharge is more than the turbo and bolt ons are the most reliable. Just remember if you go to bolt ons and then decide to go with super or turbo you those mods will do you no good and youve wasted that money on bolt ons. But if you do use bolt ons you will put out awesome numbers. A decent header costs 500-700$. Exahust such as Greedy cost $600+ and CAI or RAM will run about 250$. These are for decent ones. Cams can run you anywhere from 500-2000$ depending on the stage and make of it. I would recomend Bolt ons. After all the bolt ons are on and everything you want is on then tune it with Kpro or reflash and you will be satisfied! But if you want a alot of power then go turbo...but remember its FWD and you will spin alot of tire...Have fun and good luck man!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pat_S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just basic bolt-ons and some tuning. He can safely run on 91+.

There is no need for him to go all ***** out and put pump gas with that mild setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what i said..
"light" modifications.
i say 93 because i see 93 out in some places. 91+ is just fine for "light" modifications.

DC54LIFE:
Turbo's and superchargers are just as reliable as bolt ons or i call "light" mods. If they weren't they wouldn't be selling them in highly manufactured vehicles ex. Dodge stealth, Cobra (supercharged one), DSM VR4, Evo VIII, Evo XI, SRT-4, Acura RDX, Cadillac (supercharged one)....etc..etc... and so forth.

siriussr:
Turbochargers actually increase MPG (if you're not constantly on it)
Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM

well i own a turbocharged rsx and i love it everything cost me between 4 and 4.5 k and like most people have said i get great gas when i dont decide to step on it so in the end its all up to you and how much money your looking to spend
Old 02-13-2008, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by risktypeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's what i said..
"light" modifications.
i say 93 because i see 93 out in some places. 91+ is just fine for "light" modifications.

DC54LIFE:
Turbo's and superchargers are just as reliable as bolt ons or i call "light" mods. If they weren't they wouldn't be selling them in highly manufactured vehicles ex. Dodge stealth, Cobra (supercharged one), DSM VR4, Evo VIII, Evo XI, SRT-4, Acura RDX, Cadillac (supercharged one)....etc..etc... and so forth.

siriussr:
Turbochargers actually increase MPG (if you're not constantly on it)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Troof and turbo is only as reliable as the parts and tune you get. Also rigorous maintenance is a must. I actually get 22-24 mpg on my 460whp 93 octane tune and thats beating on it about 70% of the time I drive lol
Old 02-13-2008, 04:49 PM

Risk: The reason the turbos are very reliable in the SRT-4 Evo and STI are because those are manufactured parts. These are aftermarket which can be risky depending on what your getting. Yes they can very reliable at the same time you just have to do it right or you end up with a mess...
Old 02-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DC54LIFE)

if i got a turbo, i would probably get a garrett t3/t4. what is the right way to do it?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siriussr)

IMO, a t3/t4 is small for the k series

Quick Reply: 2005 RSX type s turbo or supercharge?