Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Macco paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Macco paint?

i'm about to head out to macco to have my 94 civic si paint long beach blue pearl tri-coat. my car is originally red. i'm gonna have them do the body work and painting. anyone know's how good there customer service are and how good they work on ur car. i've heard from people that macco sucks, and from some that macco's are good. i guess u just have to talk to the painter. anyone ever went there before, and if do, can u post up pictures of ur ride with the paintjob.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you would've searched first, you would've found many Macco threads, but since i love my car more than useless threads, ill post a few: this is a macco job. $476
Old 02-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Macco paint? (lilo_goki)

There is a huge Maaco thread in the appearance forum right now. It's 20+ pages and goes through all of the various opinions about Maaco and shows a bunch of Maaco paint jobs.

I am dropping my 92 Si off at a local Maaco shop next Monday to have a full respray -- factory Milano Red R-81-4 excluding jambs and engine bay. I will post my experiences with the paint job in the Maaco thread when I get it back, but so far they have been professional and knowledgeable.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

kewl, for $476. did they prep ur body work and did everything for u or did u have to prep ur body work urself. what kind of paint is that, did u just do the enamel paint or the durable enamel paint etc. looks nice.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wrecked my old car, a corolla and took it to maaco in Virginia Beach. They repaired the damage and painted it and it came out great. I guess some maacos are good while others suck.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:18 AM

They accidentally molded my front bumper to the rest of my car and they gave me a crappy paint job. (Did not get into nitches and hard-to-get-spots at all!)
Old 02-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn that sucks for you lithel? how much did u pay? oh i want to prep my car myself, i was just wondering what's the process of wetsanding. i want to wetsand my car myself so i can take all the clear coat off. after wetsanding, what do i do next? i'm a noob on the autobody so have no idea. any help would be greatly apprecite.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dont waste your time wet sanding off your clear coat...

prepping the car is the most important part of a paint job... for best results leave it to the painter.

or else when it looks like crap who do you think they will look at?

BUT if u want to prep it...

remove any paint that is flaking or chipping or not adhering perfectly. scuff the rest with 400grit sand paper. you could do it wet or dry. look into getting a DA sander, you wont regret it.
i dunno if you plan to do the body work too (if it needs it) but anywhere you apply filler you should completly remove all paint under it

Modified by welfarepc at 2:57 PM 2/22/2008
Old 02-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

kewl, i heard that maaco sucks at prepping the car though, and i was thinking it'll be cheaper if i prep it myself. i'm just gonna wet sand it to take all the clear coat off, and maybe primer it. i have a dent on my driver side door and it's on the molding too. i have to fix that dent, that's the major one on my car, all other's are just little dings. how hard is it to bundle a car, i've never tried it before.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (my95dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my95dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/100_0395.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/al...2.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/al...1.jpg

if you would've searched first, you would've found many Macco threads, but since i love my car more than useless threads, ill post a few: this is a macco job. $476 </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow
Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NEVER GO TO MAACO............
Old 02-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why not? i've seen some nice maaco paint jobs on the apperance fourms.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (lilo_goki)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilo_goki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not? i've seen some nice maaco paint jobs on the apperance fourms.</TD></TR></TABLE>

just because you see some good one doesnt mean it's good.

if you know anything about bodywork and how a shop is run you know you can do a complete spray job with 1 day turn around.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:29 PM

I painted for macco for three days and had to leave because their mentality is production over quality, just an insight though as far as prepping all macco does is buzz over the car with 320 grit sandpaper on a DA and red scotchbrite in the cracks and crevices, they also use sherwin williams paint coating which is close to the bottom of the line. With body work you get what you pay for, macco jobs may look nice but will only last about three to five years. Everything I paint has a lifetime warranty and will outlast the vehicles life.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:05 AM

Default Re: (T-Rock)

yo for way cheaper than the cheapest Maaco job you can do a better job yourself in your garage with way better quality paint. Used compressor =$100 ebay paint gun =$40 2 quatrs paint and additives = $80 single stage urethane total $220. For $220 you can spray better paint than the cheap enamel they use and do it yourself plus you never habe to buy the tools again..
Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MEAN88Si4WS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MEAN88Si4WS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yo for way cheaper than the cheapest Maaco job you can do a better job yourself in your garage with way better quality paint. Used compressor =$100 ebay paint gun =$40 2 quatrs paint and additives = $80 single stage urethane total $220. For $220 you can spray better paint than the cheap enamel they use and do it yourself plus you never habe to buy the tools again..</TD></TR></TABLE>

um...good luck finding all that and paint a complete car with 2 qt of paint
Old 02-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MEAN88Si4WS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yo for way cheaper than the cheapest Maaco job you can do a better job yourself in your garage with way better quality paint. Used compressor =$100 ebay paint gun =$40 2 quatrs paint and additives = $80 single stage urethane total $220. For $220 you can spray better paint than the cheap enamel they use and do it yourself plus you never habe to buy the tools again..</TD></TR></TABLE>

+ sealer and primer
+ whatever you spend on plastics/masking materials and items to ready your garage
+ ventilation necessities (must haves for positive results)
+ all the various mixing and measuring materials/experience that you can't really put a price tag on (Do you know when/why/how to use an adhesion promoter? What about how much flexibility agent to add for painting a urethane lip?)

All that could easily equal a few hundred more than a cheap Maaco job with uncertain results.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i knoe macco job aren't gonna last long, but it's cheap. i mean who expects a paint job under a $1000 to last long. it's a daily driver so it'll be alrite. some maaco are actually good, u just gotta go see how they did perform in the shop. gotta talk to the painter and give him tip, and maybe ur car will turn out a lot better. some people went to the wrong maaco and got angry so that's why they're saying maaco sucks. i believe though, most do suck, but some are good.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:33 PM

You pay for a $600 job, you get a $600 job. If you pay for a $3000 job, you get a $3000 job. I have seen all kinds of paint jobs come into the shop I work at by Maaco. Some great, others TERRIBLE.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

says a man who has probably never painted a car, haha.

op, I'd be very skeptical about getting a tri stage job at macco, but hey. If you only plan on keeping the car for a year or two longer, go for it. I would also try to do a little prep work on the car beforehand. I normally wouldn't recommend that, because I hate having to prep cars that someone who doesn't know what they're doing already expletiveed up, but with macco its a different story. I have seen a lot of failing paint jobs from there because of poorly done prep work. I'd do some research on prep work and try your hand at it.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (7andaswitchblade)

as most have said, some maaco's, surprisingly enough, care about their work...i, as well as my friends, have taken a good number of cars to this one maaco by our area (fairfax, va) and they have all turned out good...granted we do pretty much the entire prep work and just have them spray it...all have turned out really nice...
Old 02-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Infinity_Racer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Infinity_Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as most have said, some maaco's, surprisingly enough, care about their work...i, as well as my friends, have taken a good number of cars to this one maaco by our area (fairfax, va) and they have all turned out good...granted we do pretty much the entire prep work and just have them spray it...all have turned out really nice... </TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe because 80 percent of paint job is prepping and post paint care?

i mean i took me two weeks to prep my car, the whole spraying in the booth thing took 2 days.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iam7head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iam7head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe because 80 percent of paint job is prepping and post paint care?

i mean i took me two weeks to prep my car, the whole spraying in the booth thing took 2 days.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea exactly...i mean i personally wouldnt let maaco prep my car, but i'll sure let them spray it
Old 02-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

prepping huh. i would love to do it on mine but i have no idea. only know that i have to wetsand it right? how many times and with how many grits. and i also have a dent on my driver side door, it's right by my molding as well. what do i have to do to fix this.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:19 PM

Default Re: (7andaswitchblade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 7andaswitchblade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
says a man who has probably never painted a car, haha.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Think again.... Red Prelude halfway down this page https://honda-tech.com/zero...e=200

He did THAT in an alley... outside! He didn't put too much work into it cause the car was being sold but I think it's absolutely comparable or even better than Maaco. The shine is about as good as the blue Teg in this thread.

Quick Reply: Macco paint?