Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

fuel pump cut out switch??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump cut out switch??

When i was driving my car last week i hit a bump and a few seconds later my fuel pump just shut off. After getting the car towed, i replaced every fuse and relay i could find in the car and still no fuel. I cant hear the pump priming and theres no fuel pressure. A friend of mine said maybe the car has a fuel pump cut off switch that might have been tripped. Do eg civics have fuel pump cut off switches? if so where is it? and can it be reset? I need this car back on the road asap. HELP!
Old 01-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Um, I think he's referring to a security feature in which you can install a hidden switch for disconnecting the fuel pump circuit, usually called a kill switch. If that's the case, it sucks that the previous owner didn't tell you about it.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: fuel pump cut out switch?? (civic89si666)

#1, don't "throw parts" at a problem. it's a waste of your time and money. find out what the root cause is and then fix it with the right part or adjustment.

#2, unless a previous owner has installed a switch then no, it doesn't have anything like that.

did you replace the main relay (a.k.a. pgm-fi relay, fuel pump relay...)? in most cases that i've seen, if a car doesn't get fuel pressure suddenly and has good power (battery and alt are good) then a main relay should fix it.

you can probably find detailed instructions on the site here, but the main relay is under the dash, usually on the drivers side. it's a black or gray box the size of a large pack of gum with a large 8 pin connector.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel pump cut out switch?? (hondamark35)

already replaced the main relay. that was my first guess. i have no idea what it could be. I was also told it could be my ignition but im not sure of that. i just want to find out whats going on with my car.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check to make sure your ground is still down securely... maybe it worked its way loose and the bump moved it enough to make the ground bad so it wont prime the pump.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel pump cut out switch?? (93egSLEEPER)

i redid the ground for the pump and it still isnt working. I would guess it would have something to do with wiring somewhere.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're friend is referring to an emergency fuel cut off switch found on fords that trips when you've been in an accident. This is not to be confused with a security kill switch that everyone else is referring to. No, Honda never had one and thank god for that. Every time you hit a pothole your car stalls out and most people are ignorant as to why.

Get a fuse and some wire and try giving the fuel pump power directly from the battery.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

since you didn't say anything i assume your starter is spining, but did you check your spark yet? ignitors can give out while your going down the road, and kill the engine.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel pump cut out switch?? (hondamark35)

put power to the pump, pump turns on. i need to find out why the power isnt going through the stock wireing harness. Everything is working fine and the car runs fine when i put power to the pump. I just dont know why it wont turn on like normal.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 PM

it sounds like to me it is the fuel pump relay but you said you changed it.... was it a "known working" relay u replaced it with? make sure the connection to the relay are good and secure and this might not be safe but I rode around for like a month with a wire fom my +battery to my fuel pump until I could get it fixed. you have to pull the wire out everytime or it will keep running after you take out ur key LOL gl hope u find the problem.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel pump cut out switch?? (JLefevers)

thats how i got it now lol. i got it wired to a switch with a fuse though for now.. i need to fix this problem asap and the relay was brand new and came out of a crashed accord. It is the same relay as in the 92-95 civics
Old 02-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump my old thread. Car is still having fuel pump problems. WHat could my problem be? THis car will get thrown off a bridge if i cant fix it.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as I know honda never used a fuel enertia switch, what I assumed by kill switch. Lots of times when a fuel pump dies if you pound the bottom of the tank it will continue working for awhile. It may be something to consider. It way be at the point where it is about to die and the bump knocked it out. LMK what u find.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Default Re: fuel pump cut out switch?? (wernhersey)

will it run for awile then cut off??? or just not crank?? I would do the hot wire from the battery 1st to see if it is the relay. If still does not work then I woudl quess your fuel pump. One time I knew this dude that put a condom in another guys fuel tank. It would run for awile until the condom would block the pump and cut off. once it settled it would run fine for like another few mins. lol that is a mechanic's nightmare. lol
Old 02-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel pump cut out switch?? (JLefevers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JLefevers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will it run for awile then cut off??? or just not crank?? I would do the hot wire from the battery 1st to see if it is the relay. If still does not work then I woudl quess your fuel pump. One time I knew this dude that put a condom in another guys fuel tank. It would run for awile until the condom would block the pump and cut off. once it settled it would run fine for like another few mins. lol that is a mechanic's nightmare. lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol thats pretty kool. I already tried the hot wire. its running right now off a switch that is hooked to a wire from the battery to the stock wiring. It has something to do with the wiring before the relay. Or this relay is bad too. But i took it out of a running 91 accord. (same part number)
Old 08-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Trial User

Default Re: fuel pump cut out switch??

I know this is quite an old thread, ive looked around for an answer and havnt seen one, so thought id share the info incase anyone is having the same problem.
I clipped a boulder sticking out a bit on a country lane and the engine cut out. Had to tow the car home, couldn't figure it out for a few days, then decided to check the owners manual... Fuel cut off switch kicks in when the car gets a sudden jolt for safety!
Switch is located behind the cigarette lighter/ashtray console. Press down on the top, you will hear a click. My 96' civic had fuel again!
Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by civic89si666
When i was driving my car last week i hit a bump and a few seconds later my fuel pump just shut off. After getting the car towed, i replaced every fuse and relay i could find in the car and still no fuel. I cant hear the pump priming and theres no fuel pressure. A friend of mine said maybe the car has a fuel pump cut off switch that might have been tripped. Do eg civics have fuel pump cut off switches? if so where is it? and can it be reset? I need this car back on the road asap. HELP!
Old 05-31-2016, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same thing happen to me . I had a fuel pump fuse blown it was 15 amp mini fuse for the fuel pump.Once i replaced the blown fuse the car started. Check all your fuses
Old 05-31-2016, 11:39 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dead tread, last post was 3 years ago.

OP also said he checked/replaced all the fuses. 94