Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Paint and Body
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 01-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
ug1yu
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via ICQ to ug1yu Send a message via AIM to ug1yu
Default I just got a replacement front bumper/fender. What Step do i need to prep it for paint

What kind of steps to do i need to prep it ready for paint? The bumper is those hard plastic/rubber oem replacement and the fender is metal.

Im not planning on prepping it up really well for an exspensive paint job. I just want to know the basic prep steps. Like what what kind of sand, primer

Well any help or info would help. Thx in advance

Btw this is for a DD ek hatch.

Modified by ug1yu at 7:49 PM 1/1/2008
ug1yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
powerflow
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: I just got a replacement front bumper/fender. What Step do i need to prep it for paint (ug1yu)

Are the parts OEM or aftermarket, what car? The fender should be primed already; clean it, completely sand w/ 500 edges too, clean it, blow it off, wipe down with wet/damp clean rag, blow it again, wax degreaser, tack before you paint. Same for the bumper if its primed, should be primed if its OEM Honda or aftermarket for a Honda. Seal the parts before base, if available use flex agent on the bumper also. The step will be different for raw plastic. Check the parts really good for imperfections, fix any before paint, especially when it comes to aftermarket parts.

Modified by powerflow at 5:28 PM 1/1/2008
Old 01-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
MiracleWhip
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: I just got a replacement front bumper/fender. What Step do i need to prep it for paint (ug1yu)

i agree with power flow. one thing he neglected to mention about the rubber bumper is that it requires an adhesion promoter before the sealer, not to mention cleaning of its mould release agent.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
powerflow
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: I just got a replacement front bumper/fender. What Step do i need to prep it for paint (powerfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerflow
Same for the bumper if its primed. The steps will be different for raw plastic.
Read much.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #5
ug1yu
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to ug1yu Send a message via AIM to ug1yu
Default Re: I just got a replacement front bumper/fender. What Step do i need to prep it for paint (powerfl

thx powerflow
ug1yu is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
2005, acura, bumper, bumpers, fender, front, market, nsx, paint, painting, primed, replacement, rl, sand, side