Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG SI/CX steering questions.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG SI/CX steering questions.......

I just bought a "mutt" car. It is a CX shell with Si motor, power steering, dash, sunroof, ect....... Here are my questions......

1. The power steering rack is welded onto my crossmember that the bracket for the rack is on. Can i get a new crossmember an where?

2. What do i have to do to switch my powersteering to manual steering? (what came original in the CX)

3. my current rack has a quite abit of play and wonders and is quite scary over icy and snowy roads, can i fix or rebuild the current rack an not totally damage it buy cutting it off my crossmember?

I did a search and never really came up with an answer.

Thanks for your time.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG SI/CX steering questions....... (abishop)

this car sounds like a hack job does it have a salvage title if so you should take it to a bodyshop to make sure the reason it is a mutt is not some huge accident it was in i.e. frame damage
Old 12-19-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Re: EG SI/CX steering questions....... (darkclark)

it doesn't have a salavage title. How can i fix my problem anyone?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sunroof = SI.
so he hacked the roof too..

If they welded a Power rack into it, I'd dump it, the car is probably more trouble than its worth.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:47 AM

If I understand correctly,

1) Yeah if the rack is welded to just the crossmember the whole cross member/rack/LCA assembly will drop out with a few bolts/ball joints. You can get the same assembly from a junk yard and bolt it in.

2) When you get the assembly, get from a CX or DX and it'll be manual steering. You may want to use your own LCAs, since if they're from an Si, they'll have holes for a sway (save the brackets from the crossmember too). Oh, yeah, remove the pressure lines and PS pump & belt too (this should be obvious). You'll need the U-joint where the rack ties into the steering column as well - these are different btw. manual and power (spline count on the rack side).

3) If its welded to the cross member ditch the whole thing.... not worth it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by abishop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just bought a "mutt" car. It is a CX shell with Si motor, power steering, dash, sunroof, ect....... Here are my questions......

1. The power steering rack is welded onto my crossmember that the bracket for the rack is on. Can i get a new crossmember an where?

2. What do i have to do to switch my powersteering to manual steering? (what came original in the CX)

3. my current rack has a quite abit of play and wonders and is quite scary over icy and snowy roads, can i fix or rebuild the current rack an not totally damage it buy cutting it off my crossmember?

I did a search and never really came up with an answer.

Thanks for your time.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-19-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: EG SI/CX steering questions....... (hades)

^ thats good advice man. So how much would i be looking to switch it back to manual steering / crossmember from a junk yard cx?

I will be trying to sell the car but if i can easily fix this for less the 500 in parts i will be keeping it, since this is the only thing the previous owner did a shitty job on.

The sunroof, dash, and motor all work great and look factory.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:59 AM

locally this would probably run me about $200 from the pick & pull. Try car-part.com or start calling around. I'm not sure what prices would be like in your area either.