Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

How to cailbrate a TPS sensor.??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to cailbrate a TPS sensor.??????

just curious to know if anyone knows how to calibrate a tps senssor after installing. for example if buying a new one from omni. How do you go about making the calibrations for it to work fine.

thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to cailbrate a TPS sensor.?????? (DeDonDeRosa)

loosen the 2 screws that hold the tps sensor in place. Now u might have to notch them or cut them to be able to loosen them. next, backprobe the tps sensor ( the middle wire) which is the signal wire. Next turn the car to the on position but don't start it. Now check the voltage coming through the wire, it should be .45V at idle. If not, turn the tps sensor clockise or counterclockwise until the voltage reaches .45V. Once u reach the specific voltage tighten up the screws, and then check the voltage to make sure it's still at .45V. And ur done!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to cailbrate a TPS sensor.?????? (JasonST)

thanks a lot good info
Old 12-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just ask I'll be glad to help with anything else or if u want more clarification on anything.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you very much your one of the nicer peeps on ht i appreciate it
Old 12-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JasonST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">loosen the 2 screws that hold the tps sensor in place. Now u might have to notch them or cut them to be able to loosen them. next, backprobe the tps sensor ( the middle wire) which is the signal wire. Next turn the car to the on position but don't start it. Now check the voltage coming through the wire, it should be .45V at idle. If not, turn the tps sensor clockise or counterclockwise until the voltage reaches .45V. Once u reach the specific voltage tighten up the screws, and then check the voltage to make sure it's still at .45V. And ur done! </TD></TR></TABLE>

im pretty sure it shoud read .5 volts at idle and 4.5 at WOT
Old 12-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JasonST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">loosen the 2 screws that hold the tps sensor in place. Now u might have to notch them or cut them to be able to loosen them. next, backprobe the tps sensor ( the middle wire) which is the signal wire. Next turn the car to the on position but don't start it. Now check the voltage coming through the wire, it should be .45V at idle. If not, turn the tps sensor clockise or counterclockwise until the voltage reaches .45V. Once u reach the specific voltage tighten up the screws, and then check the voltage to make sure it's still at .45V. And ur done! </TD></TR></TABLE>

dont just turn it keep the screws snugg then lightly tap it with a screwdriver handle.the volts with change quick it wont take much turning to set it.

and i know for a fact its

closed .45

wot 5 volts
Old 02-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to cailbrate a TPS sensor.?????? (zccr-xsi)

hey guys. i need to adjust mines too and i am a little confused. so I backprobe the connector right? i stick the red probe into the middle terminal. where do I stick the black probe? just ground it?

also. i just doubled checked the helms manual. section 11-63. .5V at idle and 4.5V at WOT. someone confirm?

Modified by tekstyle at 1:03 AM 2/26/2008
Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i put it on the ground for the batt.and i wouldnt set it to what the helms says.look in the honda shop manual!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: (zccr-xsi)

My shop manual shows a .5v Idle and 4.5 Full Throttle graph.

The Values are stated further down the trouble shooting flow chart as "0.5v at full closed throttle and approx. 4.5v at full open throttle". The word "approx" could = 0.5v, I've just always assumed that the closer you can get it to .5v & 4.5v the better your throttle response would be.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GhostAccord)

that's the same exact page i have. i set mines to .501V and 4.449V.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry i got them mixed around
Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (zccr-xsi)

What I've done is just measure the resistance of a known-good throttle body/TPS with the throttle closed and use this as a reference to adjust the TPS I am working on. It's ALOT easier to measure resistance than it is to try to tap into your wiring harness to measure voltage.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im about to change my throttle body to a bigger one tomorrow. and i have a feeling im gonna run into a problem. like not having a good idle like i have now with the stock gsr tb. so what should i do if i dont. should i follow what jasonstsaid or what. so basically you turn on your ignition. get a tester put the red on the center wire and put the black on the batter then read that try to get that votage to be .45 right? or am i missing something. also when i hold up the tb to a light i see some light coming through arount the butterfly. is that normal? not a lot of light but a little. should i loosen the butterfly screw so its completely closed? and aslo what about the screw on top theres aslo an idle adjusting screw. should i mess with that once i have the .45 voltage? or not
Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok guys I just picked up the BLOX TPS sensor. I did the install using my VAFC. I noticed though that if I set the idle at .5 then the WOT voltage will be 4.6 or 4.7 and if the idle is set at .3 then WOT is at 4.5 I know that before my old TPS voltage was reading at 6 something at WOT so I know the new TPS has made an improvement I just cant feel a diff yet. maybe over time. hehe

I tried testing my MAP sensor with my VAFC but I wasn't sure if I reading it right. I think im just gonna buy a new MAP anyway hehee

but yeah the BLOX TPS works good. Install from start to finish was pretty easy, not had at all.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:57 PM

Default Re: How to cailbrate a TPS sensor.?????? (Initial_drift)

OK I bought a blox TPS, question is how do you test the voltage. The wires are too small to be able to probe with the voltmeter, so how do you guys do it? I really need help with this. I just installed a new throttle body on my lsvtec and the idle is jacked!
Old 06-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i gave up on the vol testing thing and bought a new tb...

Old 06-28-2008, 03:50 PM

Default Re: How to cailbrate a TPS sensor.?????? (fliped182)

paper clips work fine for probeing stuff just dont do it a hundred times a day every day because it will break off the wire inside the sensor/connector after a while of probing
Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to cailbrate a TPS sensor.??????

Hi. I am new to this forum and a fairly new accord owner. I have a used 05 accord that came with a blox sensor (didn't know until I got the P0122 CEL).

Was testing the wiring before I test the sensor itself.
Yel/Blu to +ve of multimeter and battery ground to -ve: +5V steady.
Grn/Yel to +ve of multimeter and battery ground to -ve: only a 0.04V

From all the comments I have read so far, it should have been approx 0.5V.
Is there anything else I should do to confirm something wrong with the wiring. What steps should I take to diagonse it further or should I get the wiring changed. Also, how do I test the blox tps sensor separately. I did read the first thread that talks about adding wires between the sensor and the wiring and testing it that way. I will definitely try that also.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all TPS have 3 wires
They are
1. Refrence Voltage +5 Volts
2. Sensor Ground
3. Output from TPS.

Your ign s/w should be on. (Car may or may not be running)
Then check the voltage between sensor ground and Sensor out for throttle closed and open.
As you open your Throttle you want the voltage to slowly climb from .5volts to 4.5 volts with no major jumps.

If you have major umps and its not smooth your TPS wiper is probably worn.
(Most people dont bother to chk for the smooth voltage movement). Replace the TPS
Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to bring an old thread, in need of some help please

Am trying to calibrate TPS on close throttle am getting right readings 0.50v but on open throttle it's reading 5.31 I've got Blox 70mm throttle body on, my previous TPS which was on this throttle was ok (throttle has been fitted for a few mths now but got error code 7 TPS last week).

Am setting TPS by having throttle pedal to the floor it should be reading 4.5v but getting a reading 5.31

Any help on this please or is there some thing am doing wrong

Thanks
Old 10-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to loosen the bolts on the TPS so you can adjust it by clocking it.

At full open it should read about 4.5v (4.14 - 4.82).
At full closed it should read about 0.5v (0.44- 0.56).

If you have a tuneable EMS then you can set your software to whatever min/max range you want.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good info!!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Muckman
You need to loosen the bolts on the TPS so you can adjust it by clocking it.

At full open it should read about 4.5v (4.14 - 4.82).
At full closed it should read about 0.5v (0.44- 0.56).

If you have a tuneable EMS then you can set your software to whatever min/max range you want.
Hi mate thanks for the reply,

That's exactly what am doing loosened alen key screws to adjust it TPS is brand has well after trying with 2 used ones so ended up just buying a new one which is Blox TPS

Closed is fine am getting 0.50v or should it be 0.05v closed, it's my full throttle am having problems with if I set full open throttle at 4.5v and reset ecu then my ECL comes on which is code 7 TPS.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Trial User

Icon2 TPS sensor

i put an H22 prelude motor in my civic. the problem is there is no throttle response. the cables are working and the motor runs but there is no throttle response Any suggestions i am going to get a TPS and try that but i was wondering if there was any other things to look over Thanks

Quick Reply: How to cailbrate a TPS sensor.??????