Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Paint Experts - I Want FLAKE! Regular Black with TONS of flake. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:22 PM
I want a CRX tattoed on my butt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint Experts - I Want FLAKE! Regular Black with TONS of flake. Need help

Im gettin my car painted shortly. I was going to go with Java Black Pearl because it ws the closest to what I wanted.

But I figured I might aswell ask, what Im really looking for is a basic black, plain old jane black with TONS of metal flake or flake however you say it. The flake you see on boat paint jobs and such, the flake that just shines and pops like crazy

Is there a certain terminology for that? Is there a way to describe it to a painter or is there any better method to get my desired effect?

Thanks guys
Old 11-28-2007, 04:23 PM
ate my pixel

Default Re: Paint Experts - I Want FLAKE! Regular Black with TONS of flake. Need help (PINKS)

AC forum is that way >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>

But to answer your question, just tell them you want extra flake and tell them the same thing you said in your first post. Unless it's their first day, they'll hook you up.

Are you buying the paint or having a shop do it?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Paint Experts - I Want FLAKE! Regular Black with TONS of flake. Need help (Twixle)

Actually there's a Paint forum. There are really knowledgable and helpful people there.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Paint Experts - I Want FLAKE! Regular Black with TONS of flake. Need help (Twixle)

Like this

Old 11-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Paint Experts - I Want FLAKE! Regular Black with TONS of flake. Need help (PINKS)

Moved to paint forum..
Old 11-28-2007, 04:29 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah what they said. you just ask for extra flake or heavy flake.

normally charge extra for it though since you can get too crazy with the flake and cause it to form blobs on the gun tip which can drip onto the wet paint and make the painter go

when I go obnoxious on a bike frame I head down to my local parks auto or cave auto and order the paint and ask for heavy flake and tell them how heavy you want it. only costs a little extra. one time I got them to toss in the prismatic flakes as well. didnt look as good as the regular 3 stage prism paintjobs but was still interesting...
Old 11-28-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Paint Experts - I Want FLAKE! Regular Black with TONS of flake. Need help (stackz)

Ive just never seen paint on a car like you see on boats, that huge ammount of flake, dont know how it would look on a car, but im looking for regular black, no pearl no metallic, and hopefully ALOT of heavy flake.

If itll look good
Old 11-29-2007, 02:43 AM

Old 11-30-2007, 06:10 PM

THE BLACKEST OF THE BLACK IS

FORD (UA) which is a pure black
so is
GM (8555) which is a pure black aswell.

you cannot add to many flakes into the paint that will cause the colour to change. what you want is AN ICE PEARL that is mixed into the clear rather then the paint. that way you wont look hideous. depending on the ice pearl you want you can order it from your paint source.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:59 PM

You actually have more options than that. I am mostly familiar with the BASF line so I will speak for there products more, there is a "ice pearl" that they sell that is a about as heavy of a "pearl" I have seen looks pretty much like flake but without actually being a octagon or large piece of plastic. when added over a black base it will actually reflect all the colors of the rainbow. A really cool look but I would compare it to what the galaxy looks like.

from there you have an option. You can add a black candy, BASF calls theirs "Smoke". if you add this over it any light the flakes reflect with have to reflect through the black candy.

If you dont know about candy, think if it like tint on windows.

I have also seen actual black large hot rod type flake, something like on the car above. I know there is a company that makes "ed big daddy roth" flake. Google search it and you will find it.

If you add just metallic or flack to most blacks in a large amount it will start to make the black more dull and often turn them towards brown.

From there you can start to custom mix colors to stay away from the brown look, BASF has a toner that is more of a blue black compared to their other blacks. I started with that. I added a little candy blue to it also. From there added a fair amount of metallic. I was able to keep it looking very dark and still have the metallic effect. If you start to make your own custom colors MAKE SURE TO FORMULATE so you can come back later if you need to touch it up.