Notices

UEGO install and wastegate question!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UEGO install and wastegate question!!

Yes I know i am a newbie but we all gota start somewere right?! So im gathering all the things i need for my turbo project but i have a few questions and concerns.. I bought the AEM wideband guage and was wondering if i had to weld in an extra spot on the downpipe for the sensor to go or could it just take the spot where my oxygen sensor is?
Also I just have a little concern about the wastegate. For example a wastegate with a 8psi spring. Does that mean i can only run 8 lbs of boost? How do you figure out what spring you have? Also if i use an ecu with a basemap for my car is it enough to drive for a few weeks before getting it tuned(got ecu and basemap from phearable.net)? Of course keeping the revs low..

Sorry if i sound dumb.. im trying to fully learn and understand turbos before going on and actually doing it so it can all come out right. I dont like asking questions on here but i do if i really have to. I would ask these questions to a tuner if i had one but i tried looking all over my area and there are none.. the closest are about an hour away.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UEGO install and wastegate question!!

you should be able to put the wide band anywhere on the downpipe. I prefer mine closer to the turbo than under the car. that way its easier to take out if I have to do so. I think there is a certain distance you can put it after the turbine housing to get a more accurate reading. But I dont think it would matter unless you had a high hp car. <correct me if I'm wrong.

And yes, once your charge piping has 8psi of pressure in it, the waste gate will open and let out extra exhaust to maintain that boost level.

You also might be okay to drive on a basemap. Or you could drive around on the stock injectors/tune until you can get tuned. BUT I would drive like a granny, and absolutely no boost. This would give you a chance to make sure everything is good to go before you do your tune. Getting in some heat cycles and double checking to make sure your bolts are properly tightened would be good
Old 02-15-2013, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so can i put it where the stock oxygen sensor is? or do i gota weld in an extra spot
Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its supposed to be a minimum of 18 inches from the turbo outlet for the most accurate reading as there is turbulence when getting closer to the turbine outlet. Some times you have to go closer but try to stay 18 inches.

Base map is exactly what it sounds like. Its a base starting point. Do not drive around on this map and DEFINATLY do not boost on this map. You will more than likely blow the engine and then be stuck at square one again. Dont listen to anyone telling you its ok to boost on a base map iots not period. the base map is to get the car running, check for leaks, bleed cooling system and take it to the tuner not hitting boost thats it.

If you HAVE to drive this car for a couple weeks before getting a tune leave stock injectors in the car with stock computer and drive it without boosting. if you try to boost it will just throw CEL and not allow the engine to go further. Also remove the bov or wastegate spring this will allow it to not boost OR remove charge piping. This way you dont boost. When going to the tuner put in larger injectors and the chipped ecu and your good to go.

To determin what boost pressure you have take top of wastegate off and there should be a color mark on the spring. Look up by manufacture and they will give you psi vs color on spring. If you have 8 psi spring it will make 8 pounds of boost. you can get a boost controller to increase boost past this number
Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 AM
OneBadTurboCRV

What Tubo-LS says is spot on. To add to what he said...

OP - Assuming you have the AEM wideband with the part number 30-4100 you can easily just use the gauge for narrow band O2 simulation.

Pull your Stock O2 sensor out of the bung.
Install wideband and components in stock location.
Take the white wire from the gauge and put it to your O2 signal wire going to the ECU.
Set the gauge to AFR Nernst Emulation - P4 on back dial.

Now given, I am mildly vauge is for a good reason. Not enough details were given about the setup. With OBD-1 you will need to disable the O2 heater code in your tuning program. With OBD-2 you will need a O2 heater simulation circuit or a code will be thrown. These are relatively easy to build if you are good with electronics.