Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Exhaust wrap on Ebay header danger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust wrap on Ebay header danger?

I have an Ebay header (yes pos I know) ever since the heat sheild from the stock header has been removed it gets hot as hell in the engine bay which I would rather it not. My question is, should I maybe try to make some sort of custom mount with my stock exhaust sheild, or exhaust wrap it and possibly risk cracking the header from heat buildup? Thanks.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust wrap on Ebay header danger? (Coolcat55)

what material is the ebay header and is it ceramic coated (being ebay, i doubt it, but you never know)? i would just try to custom mount/make a heat shield. the few hours putting a heat shield on is alot better than time and money wasted replacing a cracked header.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:01 PM

The Ebay header is just a stainless steel one. (Or at least that's what they sayl, lol)

I'll probably just try to custom mount the old exhaust sheild, thanks for the input.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:20 PM

you should be fine wrapping the ebay header...

if it cracks u can always buy another one for 50 bux right?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Coolcat55 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an Ebay header (yes pos I know) ever since the heat sheild from the stock header has been removed it gets hot as hell in the engine bay which I would rather it not. My question is, should I maybe try to make some sort of custom mount with my stock exhaust sheild, or exhaust wrap it and possibly risk cracking the header from heat buildup? Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrapping a stainless header is fine. If the header you buy cracks, it's not going to be due to the wrapping material causing a higher temperature at the surface of the header. Rather, it's due to poor structural design in the first place. Remember, a header must be stout enough to handle the vibrations coming from the engine in the RPM range from idle to your highest shift points. If the header design allows for any resonances in that RPM range, then serious fatigue problems will crop up due to the fact that high stresses are caused by the resonance. So each time you move through a resonance (where a natural frequency of the header is excited by an engine or other frequency) a certain amount of fatigue life is used up depending on how long it takes to move through the resonance. Since fatigue life is culmulative, each time through the resonance uses up some of this fatigue. At a certain point, the fatigue life is used up and a clearly defined fatigue crack results and this crack will contine to grow worse leading to eventual failure.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wrapping a Ceramic coated header is fine as well.

My Stillen D series header after 10 years......

you can see where the wrap ended.......
Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Johnny Mac
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Coolcat55 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an Ebay header (yes pos I know) ever since the heat sheild from the stock header has been removed it gets hot as hell in the engine bay which I would rather it not. My question is, should I maybe try to make some sort of custom mount with my stock exhaust sheild, or exhaust wrap it and possibly risk cracking the header from heat buildup? Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrapping a stainless header is fine. If the header you buy cracks, it's not going to be due to the wrapping material causing a higher temperature at the surface of the header. Rather, it's due to poor structural design in the first place. Remember, a header must be stout enough to handle the vibrations coming from the engine in the RPM range from idle to your highest shift points. If the header design allows for any resonances in that RPM range, then serious fatigue problems will crop up due to the fact that high stresses are caused by the resonance. So each time you move through a resonance (where a natural frequency of the header is excited by an engine or other frequency) a certain amount of fatigue life is used up depending on how long it takes to move through the resonance. Since fatigue life is culmulative, each time through the resonance uses up some of this fatigue. At a certain point, the fatigue life is used up and a clearly defined fatigue crack results and this crack will contine to grow worse leading to eventual failure.
Very well said! Totally agreed.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by centraldriver29
Very well said! Totally agreed.
You bumped a 7 year old thread for that?