Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Parking lights stay on, 94 Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking lights stay on, 94 Accord EX

I have a 94 Accord EX. I unhooked the positive terminal on the battery to take off the audio wire that the person who had the car before me had on there. I wanted to take out the wire because it kept making a rattling sound when I drove and I don't need fancy audio anyhow. Anyhow, the problem is that somewhere along the line of doing this, the parking lights stay on, even when the keys aren't in and the lights are swtiched to the off position. Whether this had anything to do with the audio wire, I doubt, but I thought I'd mention it anyway, because that's what I was doing when this happened. I hooked up the battery with and without the audio wire, and the problem is still there. It wouldn't seem that the audio wire would have anything to do with this though. There's no separate parking light swtich from the main light switch, like in the Subaru I had. I don't understand why the lights stay on. And the dash gauge lights are on with the parking lights. Any help?! I'd very much appreciate it!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Parking lights stay on, 94 Accord EX

I was just wondering if you ever fixed that problem. because my 94 accord is doing the same thing.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Second that. Also I have no power to my constant 12v wire for the stereo. Checked all fuses and still nothing. Pulled the light relay and they are still on. Only time they shut off is I pull the "small light" fuse.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts. They (parking and dash) light stay or come on intermittently. I was dicking around with headlight switch and that seemed to be problem. Had no issues for a couple weeks and it started again. Pulled the "small light" fuse and lights went out. Lights just came back on with fuse pulled, so disconnected battery and back to looking for solution.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Does car have an aftermarket alarm system?

Is anything plugged into the park light free pin on under dash fuse box? 94
Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for info FCM. Car has no alarm system and original radio. I went looking for park light free pin but not sure what I'm looking for......looked at fuses diagram on cover and in manual.....been turning wrenches for awhile but this is my first honda (love it) but hate things electrical !
Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 AM
fcm
Old Fart

The free pins are the 4 male terminals just above the top row of fuses, just to the right in this pic... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95...Q5fAccessories

If nothing is plugged into any of the terminals I would look at the switch, [Combination Light Switch] but you said the lights are still coming on after fuse has been pulled, is that correct?

If so, test the two terminals of the fuse socket, [fuse removed], if I am right one terminal, [load side] will test as 12V+, [hot] the other terminal, [switch side] will test as nothing until you turn on the lights and then it will test as 12V+, [hot].

If the above is the case then the problem is a "back-feed" or short to 12V+ constant, I will have to look and see if a 94 Accord uses a relay for park lights, it may be defective. 94
Old 03-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks fcm.

This thing is so intermittent. I changed the combo switch. Seemed to work ok for a while, but came back. Pulled the "small Light" fuse from under hood fuse box and that seemed to be the ticket as lights went out. Then they came back on with fuse pulled !

Checked the free pins you showed me....there is nothing plugged in, but....I did notice there was quite a bit of moisture/water up in there. That can't be good. Car has been a Seattle car it's whole life. Now I'm trying to remember if the problem has only happened after I've been driving in hard rain.

I've read about a fairly well known DRL relay solder/connection problem, but supposed to be only Canadian cars have the DRL relay.

Off to check the fuse terminals.

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:22 PM
fcm
Old Fart

It is possible that the problem is in the fuse box itself, if moisture gets inside the fuse box and there is corrosion a "short" could occur between the park light circuit and a 12V+ continuous circuit, problems like that can be very intermittent, you may have to change out the fuse box to find out.

Question, do your brake lights work, have you checked to see if they also stay on when park lights are on?

If the brake lights are also on, pull the brake light fuse, if all lights go out, check your tail light wiring at the tail lights, also if a 94 Accord uses dual filament brake/park light bulbs change the bulbs, the filaments may be touching.

Keep in mind the above could only happen if the brake lights were stuck on. 94
Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You might be right about a bad fuse box. I dried it out and with no rain all is working ok. Haven't looked into effort involved to change one out yet. You ever do one ? First I need to figure out where the water is coming in....oh boy, great fun.

I'll keep you posted. Seems like quite a few have the same problem and there's no real definitive fix out there. Maybe you found it.

Thanks Again
Old 03-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

multiplex
Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FCM - I found it !!

It is definitely water related but not the fuse box. Directly above the fuse box is a brown module (?) 3"x5" and directly above that are two black relays. Directly above those is a plug from one of the major wire harness. The connections to this plug are getting wet from water coming from topside (windshield molding I think). I haven't been able to get the plug disconnected yet, but I could hear the sizzle and see smoke from at least one of the wires in that harness. When I blow it all out nice and dry....no problem....when it rains..problem. I'm going to try and seal the leak and then get that harness/plug apart to better see the damage if any. If nothing is burnt, you think i could dry everything out and shoot some dielectric grease in the connectors ? Any advice on getting that connector plug apart. I gave up at 6 am this morning..too dark...too rainy..gotta go to work

thanks