Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 10-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
01accordsauce
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Well then

well i'm NEW TO THIS FORUM so i didn't look so don't give me a hard time about it and the manual recommends replacing the water pump and timing belt every 60,000 miles!
01accordsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
CD5 Jeebies!
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Well then (01accordsauce)

so what's your question???? also when you post you should put year make model and motor of car...and the search feature is your friend

[quote=pos_cd5]i disapprove of wheels. and "wheel in inches" > "girls age"? [img]http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif[/img]
i also disapprove of your vtak sticker too...but who cares, im a pompous ricer! [img]http://images.honda-tech.com/set1/smile/embeer.gif[/img] [/quote]

CD5 Jeebies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
01accordsauce
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Well then (I got the CD5 Jeebies!)

someone on here critized me because i didn't look hard enought i guess for how to kill my matience light. again i'm new to this forum and i've been more concerned with my outback lately then my accord. BTW, it's a 2001 honda accord um 2.3 Vtech ULEV 68k

oh yeah it was touringaccord who was like look it up this topic has been covered before
Old 10-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
accord2nrz
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via Yahoo to accord2nrz Send a message via Skype™ to accord2nrz

uuuhhh ok. are you asking us if you should replace it?
accord2nrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
Ross 2.0
In a Junkyard near you.
Garage is empty, add now

Default Timing belt replacement interval 2001 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01accordsauce
someone on here critized me because i didn't look hard enought i guess for how to kill my matience light. again i'm new to this forum and i've been more concerned with my outback lately then my accord. BTW, it's a 2001 honda accord um 2.3 Vtech ULEV 68k

oh yeah it was touringaccord who was like look it up this topic has been covered before
You don't replace the timing belt until 105K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Honda
105,000 mi/168,000 km/ 7 years
This two-page maintenance schedule outlines the minimum required maintenance. Service at the indicated time or distance, whichever comes first. Use the Maintenance Schedule for Severe Conditions if the vehicle meets any of the qualifiers listed in the severe conditions schedule or if the vehicle is normally driven in Canada.

According to state and federal regulations, failure to do the maintenance items marked with asterisk(*) will not void customer's emissions warranties. However, Honda recommends that all maintenance services be done at the recommended interval to ensure long-term reliability.

o Inspect valve clearance (cold) Intake: 0.24-0.28 mm (0.009-0.011 in.) Exhaust: 0.28-0.32 mm (0.011-0.013 in.)

o Replace spark plugs for '01 model. Use NGK (PZFR5F-11) or DENSO (PKJ16CR-L11).Gap: 1.0-1.1 mm (0.039-0.043 in.)

o Replace timing belt and balancer belt (Removal:, Installation and inspect water pump.

o Check idle speed. Should be 700+/-50 rpm in neutral (Automatic transmission in [N] or [P] position).

o Replace engine oil. -Capacity with filter change: 4.3 l (4.5 US qt, 3.8 Imp qt)

o Rotate tires. Follow the pattern shown in the Owner's Manual -Check tire inflation and condition.

o Replace engine oil filter.

o Inspect front and rear brakes.

Check pads and discs for wear (thickness), damage, and cracks.

Check calipers for damage, leaks, and tightness of mount bolts.

Check brake lining for cracking, glazing, wear, and contamination.

Check wheel cylinders for leaks.

o Check parking brake adjustment. Should be fully applied within 6 to 9 clicks (disc brake) or within 4 to 7 clicks (drum brake).

o Inspect tie rod ends, steering gearbox, and rack boots for damage and leaking grease and fluid.

Check steering linkage for looseness.

Check boots for damage and leaking grease.

o Inspect suspension components.

Check bolts for tightness.

Check condition of ball joint boots for deterioration and damage.

o Inspect driveshaft boots. Check boots for cracks and boot bands for tightness.

o Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS). -Check the master cylinder, proportioning control valve, and ABS modulator for damage and leakage.

o Check all fluid levels and condition of fluids; check for leaks. If necessary, add Honda ATF-Z1 or MTF, engine coolant, brake fluid, and windshield washer fluid.

o Inspect cooling system hoses and connections.

Check for damage, leaks, and deterioration.

Check for proper fan operation.

o Inspect exhaust system* . Check catalytic converter heat shield, exhaust pipe, and muffler for damage, leaks, and tightness.

o Inspect fuel lines and connections*. Check for loose connections, cracks and deterioration; retighten loose connections and replace damaged parts.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
accord99power
Honda-Tech Member
1999 Honda Accord
My Garage

Send a message via AIM to accord99power

I remember you from the last topic you created, is your maintence light off? Did u do what i told u to do? Click the image to open in full size.
accord99power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
01accordsauce
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Well then (accord99power)

yeah that's fine i took care of that. Listen i was told the belt should be replaced at 60k it's on page 267 of my 2001 accord owners manual that the timing belt should be replaced at 60,000miles or 100,000km. my subaru outback on the other hand the manual says to replace the timing belt at 105,000 miles
Old 10-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
scabbs
Garage is empty, add now

jus follow the honda book cause honda made it specifically for that car... I'd trust that one..
1998 accord slammed on tein ss, 17" gunmetal sub-zero nock offs, shaved emblems, type r style lip, diy black housing headlights and an H22A4 to top it off. [img]http://images.honda-tech.com/set1/smile/emthup.gif[/img]

got any questions jus pm me.
scabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
a.wax
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Well then (scabbs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabbs
jus follow the honda book cause honda made it specifically for that car... I'd trust that one..
x2

That's what the Honda manual is made for.
a.wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
Ross 2.0
In a Junkyard near you.
Garage is empty, add now

The quote I posted is directly from American honda on ISIS, it's more accurate than a 6 year old book. (it's the website all dealerships use)
If you want to waste money and replace it too early then be my guest.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:12 AM   #11
01accordsauce
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (Evil M0nkey)

i don't see what the problem is here? The Owners manual recommends replacing the timing belt at 60,000 miles. They wouldn't just say that, there's a reason for that because the belts could break and cause damage to your engine which what happened to my subaru just recently. Plus it's not a waste of money ither for myself because i'm not poor
Old 10-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
Ross 2.0
In a Junkyard near you.
Garage is empty, add now

Default 2001 Accord Maintnence schedule

Listen to me.
I understand what your owners manual says. It is not correct.
I work for a dealership, and have done so for the past 5 years. I have never seen a timing belt break on a Honda in less than 105K miles or 7 years. It RARELY ever happens.
The quote I posted is from the website we use that American Honda has posted themselves. It holds the current information. American Honda always advises you to check with ISIS to see if there is any updated information. This applies to your case.
If you don't believe me here is a screen shot of the correct owners manual page in PDF form.

If you still don't believe me here is a screen shot of the page i quoted earlier

Modified by Evil M0nkey at 3:50 PM 10/4/2007
Old 10-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
accord99power
Honda-Tech Member
1999 Honda Accord
My Garage

Send a message via AIM to accord99power

ok good glad it worked, but dont do the timing belt at 60K, i always was told 80-90K on a honda. Other cars (domestic) i would change at 60k. I wouldnt any higher then 105K though.
accord99power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #14
01accordsauce
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Well then (accord99power)

alrighty then ok i'm not gunna argue anymore i was told 60k at the honda dealership when i bought the car and in the manual
Old 10-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #15
TouringAccord
H-T Order of Merit
Garage is empty, add now

yeah, it was me, so... It's a frequently asked question that is easily searchable (if thats even a word Click the image to open in full size. )

does this look like I was giving you a "hard time"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringAccord
next time please search, this has been covered many times.

it's also located in the Accord FAQ.
It wasn't that you didn't look hard enough, you didn't look period. I have it in the FAQ because it's a Frequently Asked Question. And if you would have done any searching you would have noticed that by the amount of hits you got back from a search.

And... so just because you are new you dont have to follow the same rules everyone else has too?? no, there are site rules (ToS) and then there are each individual forum rules. It doesn't matter if you are new or have been a member for 4+ years, everyone has to follow the rules.

I understand that new people sign up to the forum sometimes because they have a problem and need help. Thats fine, but understand that this forum isn't new and most questions have already been asked and answered more than once. So the members aren't going to want to keep seeing the same sets of questions get asked over and over on a weekly basis. So instead of posting right away take an extra 10-15 minutes, or more, and search for your answer before posting. If you need to know how to use the search feature there is a link for that in the FAQ as well. Most of the time it's faster to search and find your answer than it is to post and wait for someone to come along and then read/respond to your question.

Also, if you want to continue this wait until you are a full member and then PM me and we can continue this discussion then.

This thread is to further discuss the timing belt change interval.
TouringAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #16
Heat
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 2001 Accord Maintnence schedule (Evil M0nkey)

My question is this - does the owner's manual really say to do it at 60,000 miles?

The maintenance schedule for my '99 has it at the 105,000 miles / seven year interval, even for severe conditions.

Of course, my car will be nine years old next week... (I bought it on October 13, 1998).
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #17
YeuEmMaiMai
B*a*n*n*e*d
Garage is empty, add now

1998-2002 accords all models under normal driving conditions it is 7 years or 105K whichever comes first. Under SEVERE driving conditions it is 60K
YeuEmMaiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #18
thatasiankidtony
Garage is empty, add now

don't mean to jack the thread but, I bought my 97 Accord SE used, and I don't know if my timing belt was ever changed. It has 172,xxx miles on it right now. Is there away I can check?
thatasiankidtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #19
sony224422
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

okay "listen" to this.

We are trying to help you save money, but by all means go spend a grand and shut up about it, or wait til 85-90k and get it done. I personally drove my car til a 130k on the same belt, and it still looked new when they took it off.

BTW, Touringaccord is a moderator here, so yeah, he can tell you what to do. Don't like it? Leave.

Don't be an asshat and expect peolpe to be nice and want to help you.

93 civic CX (project car)- Sold

1997 dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4 extended cab
360 magnum
sony224422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #20
TheMuffinMan
He knows where you live!
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)

You should replace them regardless of mileage after a certain number of years ( I would guesstimate 8) just as a precautionary thing.

Mileage wise, anywhere from 80-100k I would have it replaced.

Like Evil Monkey said, he hasn't seen one break - neither have I but it's better to be safe than sorry.
I think TheMuffinMan is Chuck Norris. Seriously, you can't find the TheMuffinMan,TheMuffinMan finds you.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #21
01wTraction
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: when to change timing belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
You should replace them regardless of mileage after a certain number of years ( I would guesstimate 8) just as a precautionary thing.

Mileage wise, anywhere from 80-100k I would have it replaced.

Like Evil Monkey said, he hasn't seen one break - neither have I but it's better to be safe than sorry.
So how often should it be replaced in terms of time? I am looking at buying a 2001 with 95,xxx but the timing belt hasn't been changed. Even though it's 10k below the 105k it is 4 years over the time duration I usually see.

Is this one 105k or 7 years? I am interested in what the current info from Honda is but also what is reasonable. I think that if it's 7 years or even 8 years, now that it has been 11 years it needs to be done right away.
01wTraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #22
TouringAccord
H-T Order of Merit
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: when to change timing belt?

yes, it should be replaced. When mileage and time is given for an interval, you use whichever comes first. So for a 105k or 7yrs interval... If you get to 105k miles within say 5 years then you do it then, but say in 7 years you have only put 80k miles on it you would still do it because it's been 7 years.
TouringAccord is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
20, 2001, accord, acura, belt, change, honda, interval, light, matience, outback, replacement, required, rl, subaru, timing