Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

6000rpm+ woes, MAP sensor TSB done, rest ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6000rpm+ woes, MAP sensor TSB done, rest ECU

BAD COIL PACK/SPARK PLUG CONNECTION. AHhhh I am so stoked, there was brown crud between the packs and the plugs. Cleaned it up, took her for a test drive, and pulled like a freight train all the way to redline

Modified by ProjectDarkBlack at 6:56 PM 9/29/2007
Old 09-23-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: 6000rpm+ woes, MAP sensor TSB done, rest ECU (ProjectDarkBlack)

did you check the oil?

low oil won't let the vtec engage. a bad oil filter will do the same.

Sounds like your vtec is not engaging, not hesitating, but could be wrong.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6000rpm+ woes, MAP sensor TSB done, rest ECU (chairmnofthboard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chairmnofthboard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you check the oil?

low oil won't let the vtec engage. a bad oil filter will do the same.

Sounds like your vtec is not engaging, not hesitating, but could be wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

last time I checked the oil looked great... the vtec does engage but it could be cutting in and out
Old 09-23-2007, 02:09 PM

that's exactly what happens. monitor your vtec, see if it's engaging & disengaging. that will make it feel like it's hesitating.

swap the filter out, seen that once. bad filter causing vtec problems.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Yeah IM from Jersey, big wup, wanna fight about, it, USA
Default Re: 6000rpm+ woes, MAP sensor TSB done, rest ECU (chairmnofthboard)

you can do that or clean your vtec solenoid harness. unplug the harness from the sensor, remove the sensor, disconnect the negative wire from the battery terminal for 30-60 seconds, reconnect, and go for a drive. If you can hit vtec, and no CEL comes on, you're good to go. good luck
Old 09-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6000rpm+ woes, MAP sensor TSB done, rest ECU (S2KILLA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S2KILLA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can do that or clean your vtec solenoid harness. unplug the harness from the sensor, remove the sensor, disconnect the negative wire from the battery terminal for 30-60 seconds, reconnect, and go for a drive. If you can hit vtec, and no CEL comes on, you're good to go. good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>
x2 good advice
Old 09-23-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: 6000rpm+ woes, MAP sensor TSB done, rest ECU (ap1lvr)

i agree with that it happened on my itr.... and that worked like a charm
Old 09-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6000rpm+ woes, MAP sensor TSB done, rest ECU (s2pie)

okay I tried that... I just got the K&N FIPKII on there so I can hear it a lot better. It seems that the power is flat even with vtec engaged so the issue is somewhere else. Do you thing the plugs might be bad?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when was the last time you changed your oil? what oil are you using? how many miles are on ur car?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S2KILLA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when was the last time you changed your oil? what oil are you using? how many miles are on ur car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

68000, bought it at 66500 (the oil looked to be brand new then, still looks good, I think it is synthetic) other than that I don't know. It has a penzoil filter though
Old 09-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have u checked your plugs??? maybe a fouled plug can do that...
pull your Vtec solenoid out and ensure the passage is cleared...

let the battery sit for a good 10-15mins off or the fuse to ensure the ECU resets....
Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: 6000rpm+ woes, MAP sensor TSB done, rest ECU (S@nt0s)

Penzoil filter is poo poo compared to the OEM one. Get an OEM one and do an oil change. When you do your oil change get an extra quart and let it drain with the oil plug unplugged. Then fill up as normal. That will help get any old oil out and helps make sure it is 98% synthetic. Once you do regular oil changes that percentage will go up.

With a Penzoil filter I am guessing that you got regular oil, after the engine has probably been on synthetic all its life.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6000rpm+ woes, MAP sensor TSB done, rest ECU (dcturbols)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dcturbols &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Penzoil filter is poo poo compared to the OEM one. Get an OEM one and do an oil change. When you do your oil change get an extra quart and let it drain with the oil plug unplugged. Then fill up as normal. That will help get any old oil out and helps make sure it is 98% synthetic. Once you do regular oil changes that percentage will go up.

With a Penzoil filter I am guessing that you got regular oil, after the engine has probably been on synthetic all its life.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dino oil usually looks a lot darker than this stuff by now, its still an amber color so I am pretty sure its synthetic. Looks almost new. I will definately get an OEM filter though
Old 09-24-2007, 06:36 PM

Well the other thing I would do is measure oil pressure to make sure it crossing over correctly. I dunno if that is where the problem is but might as well check it all.
The only other thing I can think of is that it is fuel related. If your not receiving the right amount of fuel it will cut back, but some times you do receive the correct amount so the it would be something in the fuel line moving around and temporarily becomes unstuck.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6000rpm+ woes, MAP sensor TSB done, rest ECU (dcturbols)

First things first.

What mods are done to it?

If its stock ecu with bolt ons like i suspect. A few things you need to look at.

Pull the spark plugs. Probably want to go ahead and replace them anyways.

However, you state it sometimes doesnt go into vtec. is it because its hesitating so bad? or is it just not reaching high cam?

if the vtec just isnt coming on, it shouldnt make it misfire.

im gonna probably say its ignition related.

Do you get any CEL's?
Old 09-25-2007, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6000rpm+ woes, MAP sensor TSB done, rest ECU (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First things first.

What mods are done to it?

If its stock ecu with bolt ons like i suspect. A few things you need to look at.

Pull the spark plugs. Probably want to go ahead and replace them anyways.

However, you state it sometimes doesnt go into vtec. is it because its hesitating so bad? or is it just not reaching high cam?

if the vtec just isnt coming on, it shouldnt make it misfire.

im gonna probably say its ignition related.

Do you get any CEL's?</TD></TR></TABLE>

good call...

also, i always change my plugs and oil as soon as i get a new car... a lot of people go the extra distance with timing belt/tensioner, cap and rotor when applicable, air filter and what not... btw that oil filter is ****... oem is the way to go... dont treat the S like you would a civic... treat her with care... also to the OP where did you buy your car from? honda dealer? what year? any warranty involved?
Old 09-25-2007, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S2KILLA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

good call...

also, i always change my plugs and oil as soon as i get a new car... a lot of people go the extra distance with timing belt/tensioner, cap and rotor when applicable, air filter and what not... btw that oil filter is ****... oem is the way to go... dont treat the S like you would a civic... treat her with care... also to the OP where did you buy your car from? honda dealer? what year? any warranty involved?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought it from Elk Grove Honda, its a 2001. I am working on getting my credit card paid off so money sucks this month, I want to change the plugs and do an oil change soon though. Timing chain sounds good still. Its under a 36/36000 warranty, I took it in once already. I would rather take care of the problem because its probably something small, and they have to rev it to diagnose it.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:30 AM

Well if it is under warranty you won't have to pay a cent, and so what if they have to rev to diagnose it. The ECU will kick in and stop it from killing itself, and if they do accidentally trash the engine then you have got yourself a brand new one.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dcturbols &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if it is under warranty you won't have to pay a cent, and so what if they have to rev to diagnose it. The ECU will kick in and stop it from killing itself, and if they do accidentally trash the engine then you have got yourself a brand new one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree... what the hell have you been waiting for... jeez man... take it in and see whats up... tell them u dont want it back until its completely taken care of... /thread
Old 09-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S2KILLA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree... what the hell have you been waiting for... jeez man... take it in and see whats up... tell them u dont want it back until its completely taken care of... /thread</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know more about the car than they do, lol. Plus I just put the Intake on. Its not the Vtec, I felt the problem occur at 5500 today.... I am thinking the 02 sensor or the IAT sensor, fuel delivery, or spark plugs. Opinions?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked the gap on the plugs, they look good and are the updated versions.