Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

tpms?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tpms?

planning on running aftermarket wheels on my 08 fit and keeping the stocks in storage. will my tpms light come on due to the lack of sensors in the new wheels? ive never had a tpms system before. TIA
Old 09-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tpms? (runhopskipendub)

Why not install another set of OEM TPMS on aftermarket wheels?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Re: tpms? (Sturmmann)

Are you saying this has been successfully done in the past or suggesting he tries to be the first? Wondering, as many of us are looking at aftermarket additions.

Cheers, KK
Old 09-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tpms? (KamakuraKid)

Here's what you guys have to deal with...I will start from most expensive to free of charge.

Expensive:
Buy 4 OEM TPMS for FIT from Honda...which is about $100 each sensor. Then install in aftermarket wheels.

Moderate:
Use TPMS from OEM wheels and install in aftermarket wheels.

Free:
Remove the TPMS fuse underdash/hood. Use any wheels...NO TPMS.

Choose your situation
Old 09-24-2007, 11:15 AM

i was going to ask if there was a specific fuse for the tpms but lastnight i could post due to my noob status i check my tires regularly so i probably go with the fuse pulling tpms is for lazy bums! ahahahh.

kinda off track here but, i always wondered what would happen if another honda equipped with tpms parked next to you and had low tire pressure. would it set off your cluster light too? i doubt the sensors on each individual car are calibrated to each cars own receiver unit.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tpms? (runhopskipendub)

They are calibrated to their own control unit. Otherwise your concern would be true.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:40 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't mind having the TPMS in my 07
Old 09-24-2007, 04:56 PM

In a recent discovery:

The TPMS is a ONE-WAY system.... i.e. the ECU listens for the signal, but if it never hears anything is wrong from the sensors, it won't trip the light... the wheel sensors only send a signal to the ecu if there is not enough air pressure... otherwise they don't communicate with the ECU at all.

What does this mean?

Keep the stockers aired up and in the garage, and you'll never know they are missing. No need to install sensors in your new wheels, unless you WANT the sensors there in your aftermarket wheels.

For me, i'd rather leave them out, because i like changing around wheels and stuff, and not worrying about them. But you don't NEED them in your new wheels... you just need to make sure that if they are not in an inflated tire, to keep them far awayfrom your car... or take the battery out of them, and then they can't send a signal

Old 09-25-2007, 02:10 AM

Default Re: (solbrothers)

thanks for the heads up man.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by solbrothers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw. is there a way to retrofit the TPMS in an 07 fit? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sure that a combination of an '08 cluster, '08 ECU(may not need this depending on the system diagrams, which i have not seen yet), '08 TPMS Box (i'm assuming this is separate from the ECU), Sensors, and a good bit of wiring would get you well on your way to getting them to work in your car...
Old 09-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ComposiMo)

for interchangeable parts. Just like any other automobile manufacturers. No need for retrofit when dealing with OEM parts.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sturmmann &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not install another set of OEM TPMS on aftermarket wheels?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think you can. The TPMS sensor requires a valve hole in the wheel that's larger than normal. That's why you can't use 2007 wheels on the 2008 model. As of now, I don't think any OEM wheel makers have models with th extra large hole to accomodate the sensor.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tpms? (gummyrabbit)

Then enlarge the hole larger to fit...if OEM TPMS is really needed to install in wheels...

I do believe that most car enthusiasts would take care of their cars quite efficiently to not rely on these gadgets...like TPMS. Though only on this issue of TPMS...the useful thing I realize so far is tire punctures. You would know sooner that you are leaking air fast compared to couple of days for tire to show it is becoming flat.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:15 PM

each set of sensors is programmed to the car... if you want multiple sensors in sets of wheels, each time you change wheel,s you'd have to go back and get them re-set to your vehicle for the light to go out...
Old 09-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tpms? (ComposiMo)

Keep them calibrated!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: tpms? (gummyrabbit)

Incorrect you can reuse the sensor. They are the same diameter as valve stems. Even if they were bigger you can retrofit the sensor using a band style (ZR1 and Newer Fords use this) and put the sensor in the aftermarket wheel.....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gummyrabbit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't think you can. The TPMS sensor requires a valve hole in the wheel that's larger than normal. That's why you can't use 2007 wheels on the 2008 model. As of now, I don't think any OEM wheel makers have models with th extra large hole to accomodate the sensor.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-28-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: tpms? (ComposiMo)

Do you know if it costs anything to have the sensors reprogrammed every season (wheel exchange)?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: tpms? (nhedstrom)

there is so much misinformation in this thread it is unbelievable, no you cannot just take your stock wheels off and keep them aired up in the garage, once the sensor is out of range to transmit the signal your tpms light will be on. and you can swap sensors as often as you wish, the sensor usually takes about 2 miles of driving til its calibrated to the vehicle it is running on. I was a tech at acura and this is how they work, and its not the size of the whole thats keeping you from running the 07 wheels, its the amount of clearance on the inside of the wheel for the sensor
Old 11-28-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: tpms? (yeamans17)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACZgU67Ezd0

watch that!!! it shows how the 2007 and 2008 sport wheels differ for the tpms. but not the light wont go off and if you want yes you can just take the sensor out and put them in your new wheels.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tpms? (NSfit)

Just as I thought since the beginning of this thread. Though I played along with other informants to be fair.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Trial User

Icon2 Re: tpms?

While waiting for Costco to mount new tires on my '06 Pilot, tech called to say one TPMS stem was corroded, couldn't deflate tire, had to puncture it for removal. Said he'd mount new tire with corroded stem, but I couldn't add pressure or deflate until Honda dealership replaced corroded stem. I let him mount the new tires, but do I even need the TPMS? Can I have Costco remove the TPMS and just use the rubber stems that come with the new tires? Sound advice needed and appreciated.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tpms?

People who have the ability to take GOOD care of their own cars have not needed TPMS at all for many decades. TPMS is only a benefit for people who can't remember to ever check their tire pressure.

I am only guessing here, but it would seem that if you permanently remove the non-functioning TPMS stem and transmitter, your dash TPMS light would always be on as long as the other three transmitters were working. You obviously need to be able to check the pressure and add or release pressure as necessary for the tire with the wrecked TPMS stem.

If the Costco trie guy was right, how did they pressurize the new tire to the right pressure using the wrecked stem?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can usually still put air in the tire with a corroded tpms sensor, the problem is that the core corrodes in and You just can't remove the core. Don't lose your valve caps and this usually wont happen.

What most people don't realize is that it is against federal law to remove or otherwise disable the tpms system in any vehicle that had it factory installed. It is a safety device just like your seatbelts. Most shops will have no problem just taking the sensors out and putting in regular rubber stems, but its not legal to do.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just like airbags... great.. ONE MORE thing that costs an arm and a leg but is federaly mandated..

and it is surely NOT like your seatbelts. seatbelts aren't for stupid people, TPMS sensors are. when my miata got a low tire i knew INSTANTLY by the way it responded. no light needed..

that being said, we kept the TPMS sensors in my wifes' new Rota wheels. just transferred the factory ones over. that light annoys me.

as for them being corroded, there has to be something you can do to clean them.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Sturmmann
Here's what you guys have to deal with...I will start from most expensive to free of charge.

Expensive:
Buy 4 OEM TPMS for FIT from Honda...which is about $100 each sensor. Then install in aftermarket wheels.

Moderate:
Use TPMS from OEM wheels and install in aftermarket wheels.

Free:

Choose your situation
Free:

I tried that, then drove around the block for like 1/2 a mile, TPMS light still did not turn off. Have you done it before? I have a GE8 if it makes any difference.

Quick Reply: tpms?