Notices

Help with merge collector fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with merge collector fabrication

I am building my first merge collector and need help with the the type of jig I need to build to be able to cut the compound angles out of pipe. I am using sch. 40 SS 1.5" pipe and have a Jet horizontal bandsaw to cut with. Ay pics or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with merge collector fabrication (jonsayre)

PVC pipe is your friend.

Seriously, search. There are a ton of threads on this.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with merge collector fabrication (jonsayre)

Hi

here is just one example https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2066856

like the gentleman said in the previous post , do a search in here and there are plenty good examples of fabricating a merging turbo collector

bandsaw is a clean cut , just make a vice like jig which can accommodate angles between 0 and 30 degrees and have a method that you can hold the pipe firmly.

General you will have to experiment the first angle cut and how deep into the material you are cutting. try a few angles in the range or 10 degrees up to 15 degrees with small increments.

next you need to be able to rotate the pipe either one or the other direction depending which you prefer clock wise or anti-clockwise. 90 degrees to the previous cut you made

The indexing of the 90 degrees rotation of the pipe after the fist cut is very critical. to obtain the 90 degree index to make all the joints gapless.

I made a square( solid ) metal bar indexing tool , by machining the inside diameter of the pipe you plan to work with and have a method of inserting and clapping the pipe I'm cutting. It sits flat on the vice table while I'm cutting the angles on the bandsaw or drop saw( not as a clean cut tho ) and it is just a case of rotating the pipe to the next 90 degree edge of the square mandrel . Always 90 degrees reference point.

You may want to make a few reference stoppers so cuts are made equal length also.

Also you may want to experiment if it is 4 into one collector , try different lengths in the cuts to obtain a rectangle rather than a circle finish collected once the joints are put together.

To achieve this one of the cuts out of the two cuts don on the pipe has to have a much more shallow cut in removal of material.

The best is use PVC pipe like another member mentioned cheap and quick cuts just to get the hang of it.

go into the Honda-Tech.com » Welding/Fabrication https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum/53 heaps of threads in making merging collectors

cheers