Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Decent system for POS Prelude

Old 06-18-2002, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent system for POS Prelude

I'm driving an 89 Prelude for a while, at least until my insurance agents forgets I totaled an Acura...
It has some cheap-o Bobco stereo and supa-fly gold-coned 5.5" speakers in the doors. Now, being a music guy, I want something nice, but I don't want to blow a ton of cash on a stereo for a POS. I can't decide if I want an MP3 capable deck, or a regular CD deck with a line in for my iPod. May also opt for a changer down the road, but for now, in-dash is all I really want.
What would you guys recommend under $300?
I also need some 6.5" speakers front and back, possibly some tweeters and MAYBE a small powered sub. I'm looking at an Infinity setup at a local shop, but it's pretty high. I don't want cranium crushing bass or anything, just decent, clean sound.
What's good? I don't really want to spend more than $500 total (cheap, yeah, but like I said, this is temporary).
Old 06-18-2002, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Decent system for POS Prelude (chairmankaga)

I'll give you an answer( hopefully before the," This should have been in the Audio/Security forum reply...LOL).

If you are on a budget, just buy a cd deck with an auxillary input for your ipod....plus you can probably find one that will control a cd changer for under $300.00.

Try checking out AIWA units( my only real gripe with my old one was that you had to step through each source selection to switch from cd, to tuner, to auxillary input )
I believe Jensen has some models with inputs on the front, as well as many better respected brands such as Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood....and all probably have a model in the given price range.

As for speakers, try listening to several different pairs, and find some you like. A higher powered head unit, and some decent coaxial speakers for the front and rear, will sound 20 times better than the current deck and dual cones....blah

Do that, and drop in a powered subwoofer of choice and you should be set for a while.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Decent system for POS Prelude (crux131)

Appreciate the info...
I guess this SHOULD be in the audio forum. My fault. I just got a little post happy!
Feel free to move it...
Old 06-18-2002, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Decent system for POS Prelude (chairmankaga)

Moved!