Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 08-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
idakiteman
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Intermittent speedometer...94 Civic w/ D15B7

For awhile now my speedo has been intermittent....it usually stays stuck on zero, but occassionally comes to life for temporary bursts often quivering and jerking a bit, but then falls back to zero. When speedo doesn't work, odometer & trip meter don't register mileage change, but when speedo does work, miles advance. Car has ~133k miles. No CEL or fuse blowing is occurring.

Went to junkyard and got another cluster and VSS top portion (so not 100% sure either is absolutely good). Replaced cluster...no change, still doesn't work. Replaced VSS top portion....no change, still doesn't work. Inspected VSS lower stem that goes into tranny...looks good: driven gear shows no wear no particulates clean sharp gear edges, part is totally mechanical so not much to fail...looked into tranny & can see differential gear that drives speedo and it turns when tire turns, so lower stem & tranny look good. Think maybe it's electrical/wiring, so attach rope to main wiring bundle that VSS goes into and feed rope through window & into car. Drive around yanking rope, but speed doesn't show any intermittency or come to life at all.

Forced to resort to debug procedure in Honda Service manual pg 23-140/141 for "Speedo/Trip Meter/Odometer Troubleshooting". Start by testing continuity & voltages appearing at VSS sensor connector. Everything OK until step: "Measure voltage between VSS plug yellow/white wire pin and ground....Is there APPROX 5V OR MORE?". How much is "APPROX 5V". Mine reads 4.7 V...that's "approx 5V" BUT it's not MORE???????? so what's the call...OK or not?????? Can someone out there with a working speedo please pull that VSS connector and measure yellow/white voltage-to-ground and tell me what you get ????????????????????? Measure it with ignition key 'on' (but not all the way to start...car doesn't have to be running).

Oh, and better yet if anyone has had these same symptoms & solved the problem, please let me know what fixed it.

Thanks. Click the image to open in full size.
idakiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
gtstwincam
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to gtstwincam
Default Re: Intermittent speedometer...94 Civic w/ D15B7

Reviving this thread-

seems a lot of us have this problem and after doing all the same troubleshooting procedures, problem cannot be solved.

Ive done everything that was done in the above thread, including replacing the VSS, cluster assy three times, a new ECU, ran my own wires to rule out a short in the wire harness

i plan to inspect the ign switch and fuse box next..
gtstwincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
mooze
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via Yahoo to mooze Send a message via Skype™ to mooze

i 2 have this problem, but only after my tranny swap. when i spin the wheel my dmm only reads like 1v depending on how fast i spin it. the faster i spin the higher it goes but it never shows anything at cluster. like ida said when the speedo works the trip and odo work to. other than that everything is dead
Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
mooze
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via Yahoo to mooze Send a message via Skype™ to mooze

well after some searching and rewiring i think its fixed (again).
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2321014
picture is a bit misleading but correct
if standing on the passenger side looking into the bay over vss pin out from left to right is ground/power/signal
my vss is reading a 4.7 and is working

submit to reddit

Tags
5v, 94, acura, civic, civiv, honda, intermitant, intermitent, intermittant, intermittent, problem, speedo, speedometer, stuck, vss