Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 08-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
BIG T
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to BIG T
Default 99 HATCH: how to remove front crossmember??

so i am planning on putting a manual rack in my car. But i need to remove the front crossmember or that is what i heard at least.

Can some one please chime in on this..
1999 Vogue Silver Honda Civic DX Hatchback/ AC Delete/PS Delete/ Integra Rear Disk/ 24MM REAR SWAYBAY/ 26MM FRONT SWAYBAR /ASR Subframe Brace/Koni Yellow Adjustable Shocks/ Ground Control Coils (500F/400R)/K20A2 Engine Swap

An on ramp is a terrible thing to waste
BIG T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
BIG T
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 99 HATCH: how to remove front crossmember?? (BIG T)

bump
1999 Vogue Silver Honda Civic DX Hatchback/ AC Delete/PS Delete/ Integra Rear Disk/ 24MM REAR SWAYBAY/ 26MM FRONT SWAYBAR /ASR Subframe Brace/Koni Yellow Adjustable Shocks/ Ground Control Coils (500F/400R)/K20A2 Engine Swap

Old 08-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
madpipr
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

get a service manual
Old 08-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
BIG T
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 99 HATCH: how to remove front crossmember?? (madpipr)

ok that is what i thought just wasn;t sure if someone had it posted

Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Johnny Ricer
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Ricer

If you remove your crossmember remember your going to have to rig up a jig to keep your frame from closing in. That crossmember is keeping your car from sagging and if you remove it without something else to support it you are going to have alot of problems when time comes for reinstallation. my advice to you is jack the car up and place two jacstands about a foot in from each side of the vehicle right behind the crossmember place a 4x4 on top wide enough to cover the entire width of the car maybe get a third to put in the center. Lower the car onto the board and then remove your crossmember I say this because I had the same problem. I removed mine without a brace while I was doing an engine swap to sand it down and cover it up with rustoleum because it was rusting badly. And when I whent to install it my car had sagged and the member would not line up correctly so I had to take three jackstands place to two outer ones 1 notch lower than the center and lower the vehicle onto the board on the center jack. This was a pain in the *** because somebody had to be below the car to tell me when the bolt holes tor the crossmember were lined up as close as we could get them and than I had to force them into place to bolt in and let it straighten Itself out. Im just lucky i didnt fucke up the frame because of my stupidity and not thinking things out before acting.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
gsrhatch2356
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

you shouldnt have to remove crossmember to change racks. it would make it more accesable but not easier
Old 08-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
BIG T
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 99 HATCH: how to remove front crossmember?? (gsrhatch2356)

well how do i remove the rach?? In the service manual??

i was just thinking that i had to drop the subframe because i talked to some guys a Junk yard and they said in order to make the swap you had the drop the cross member

Apparently not??

Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #8
gsrhatch2356
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

first thing you want to do is on the inside near the floor board is disconnect the u joint from steering shaft and rack then of course disconnect outer tie rods from spindels then if you look on subframe you should see mounting bolts then after that pull it and put in the new one may thing you want to concentrete on when installing is try to get it centered as much as possible. you still will need a alignment but at least there wont have to be massive corrections to make.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
zerovandez
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to zerovandez

follow this man:

http://repo.jackmoves.com/v/erik/album106/album119/
zerovandez is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
1999, civic, cross, crossmember, d15, front, hatch, honda, integra, jack, member, problem, removal, remove, removing