Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

6G Civic Trim Differences

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:41 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 6G Civic Trim Differences

I see there are a lot of question as to what trims come with what accessories and options. Hopefully this will help to clear this confusion up.

Tell me if you see anything wrong, but remember that just because your car has it, does not mean it's a standard or even an optional part for that car. Previous owners might have added a lip kit to your hatch or the dealership might have even done it. My understanding is pretty much anything can be dealer options, though I made sure to include the one regularly mentioned: leather seats.

Oh, and this only includes USDM trims. Some info for Canadian cars is now included, but the options and standards list is still just for USDM vehicles. I'm sure the options and such as similar for comparable Canadian trims though.

EDITS:
- Added year changes for USDM and Canadian cars listed in the FSM.
- Added assembly locations for USDM and Canadian Civics (Also includes trims, chassis codes and engine codes for US and Canadian cars).
- Added more yearly changes.
- Added stock tire sizes to the chart.
- Added a link to photos of different OEM colors available on 6th gen Civics.

Anyway, hope this helps.

USDM 2DR COUPES

USDM 3DR HATCHES

USDM 4DR SEDANS

* aka. SE or VP.

OEM COLOR SELECTIONS

Click here to see photos of different OEM colors.

MODEL CHANGES BY YEAR
*Items preceded by an asterisk were not taken from the FSM.

Originally Posted by NOFX
And more info (from the Honda Service Manual for USDM and Canadian 6th gens).

Outline of '96 Model Changes
- *First year for new generation.

Outline of '97 Model Changes
- The molding side seal was added.
- The method of installing the rear cushion was changed (2D/3D).
- A middle floor gusset was added and the method of detaching the seat belt retractor was changed (2D/3D).
- The installation position of the washer tube was changed.
- *Black ABS front under spoiler has been added as a factory option added for all US body styles.
- *Front grille is no longer one piece.

Outline of '98 Model Changes
- The hood latch cover was added.
- The hatch handle was added (3D).
- *Cars with moonroofs now come standard with map lights.
- *Full lip kit has been added as factory option for US coupes.
- *GX sedan (compressed natural gas vehicle) trim added for US. Only available in limited quantities as fleet vehicles.

Outline of '99 Model Changes
- The center panel removal and installation procedures are different.
- The front grille removal and installation procedures are different.
- The front air spoiler has been added for some models of 2D.
- A height-adjustable driver's seat was added to some models.
- Emblems were added for some models of 2D (EM1 "DOHC VTEC" side emblem).
- *The front end is updated (bumper, headlights, grille, hood).
- *Rear bumper on coupe and sedan different.
- *A new full lip kit has been added as a factory option.
- *Climate control different design.
- *Climate control now electronically controlled instead of cable.
- *Vehicles are now OBD2B instead of OBD2A.
- *Taillights are now red and white (no amber) on coupes and hatches.
- *Trunk and taillights updated on sedans.
- *Si coupe trim is introduced.

Outline of '00 Model Changes
- The child sear anchor plate removal and installation procedures are different.
- An emblem was added for some model of 3D (Canadian Civic Special Edition).

ASSEMBLY PLANT LOCATIONS FOR BODY STYLES AND YEARS
(INCLUDES TRIM LEVELS, CHASSIS CODES AND ENGINE CODES FOR US AND CANADA)

Regarding the assembly plant for USDM and Canadian 6th gen Civics:
Originally Posted by NOFX
Here's how you tell from your VIN to make sure though.

Look at the first three digits of your VIN. They will be one of the following sets.

1HG
HONDA OF AMERICA MFG., INC.
HONDA Passenger Vehicle

2HG
HONDA OF CANADA MFG., INC.
HONDA Passenger Vehicle

JHM
HONDA MOTOR CO., LTD.
HONDA Passenger Vehicle

Keywords: VTEC non-VTEC VTEC-E SOHC DOHC engine transmission interior exterior chassis code D16Y5 D16Y7 D16Y8 D16B5 B16A2 power steering windows locks air conditioning a/c conditioner cruise control amber gauge cluster tachometer climate keyless entry system security small large dome light map 12 volt 12-volt 12v ashtray lighter cargo net cover armrest rear front floor mats mat headrest hole holes leather trim vinyl shift **** pleather chrome polished billet seats seat cd player cassette changer speakers speaker tweeter tweeters woofer kit am/fm 6x9 9.5 9.5" 10.3 10.3" brakes disk disc abs antilock anti-lock braking antiblockiersystem heater oil cap battery tie down spark plug cover 13mm 22mm 26mm sway bar upper strut exhaust base model models hatch hatches coupe coupes sedan sedans two three four door doors two-door three-door four-door 2-door 3-door 4-door 2door 3door 4door hatchback hatchbacks back backs MSRP original price weight VIN chassis paint colors color green blue red black white silver yellow orange bronze gold tan champagne maroon burgundy light gray cypress clover electron electric milano vogue pearl metallic frost taffeta flamenco starlight granada island coral midori roma dark amethyst cyclone ice iced teal titanium vintage plum inza type excel charcoal classy gray grey medium taupe CBM EBP ITP CGP MGP GBP FW TW VSM FBP SBP DAP MR ICP IRP RR VPP TM B73M B-73M B95P B-95P BG41P BG-41P G82P G-82P G95P G-95P GY16P GY-16P NH503P NH-503P NH538 NH-538 NH578 NH-578 NH583M NH-583M NH592P NH-592P PB74P PB-74P R81 R-81 R95P R-95P R96P R-96P R97 R-97 RP32P RP-32P YR525M YR-525M NH178L NH-178L NH264L NH-264L

Modified by NOFX at 11:30 PM 3/17/2008

Last edited by NOFX; 01-10-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 6G Civic Trim Differences (NOFX)

Very good info
Old 07-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the stealthy keywords section on the bottom. haha. Good info, will definitely help people out
Old 07-28-2007, 05:07 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: 6G Civic Trim Differences (BlueIntegraBoy)

Thank you. PM me if you see anything missing. I caught a few things right away, but there is likely more that I forgot. My computer crashed a few times while making them, so I'd have to figure about where I had left off right after my last save.

I'm hoping this means there will be less threads asking about how the Si is different from whatever other trim, and in the event there is a thread, a link to this thread could just be posted.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like the stealthy keywords section on the bottom. haha. Good info, will definitely help people out </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, I add that to posts occasionally, especially if the post is made of images. That way if someone wants to make a thread asking if such and such has power windows, they can search "power windows" and get this as a result.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:16 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good info indeed. Now people don't have to ask the same question seven times a day.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:30 PM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: (Eran)

Thanks NOFX for yet another helpful thread about our cars.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (HondamanXxX)

Should be a sticky
Old 07-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I add that to posts occasionally, especially if the post is made of images. That way if someone wants to make a thread asking if such and such has power windows, they can search "power windows" and get this as a result.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I know exactly why you added it. I was just commenting on the stealth-y-ness of it.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:39 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: 6G Civic Trim Differences (alacard)

Added more info about the transmissions, original manufacture recommended prices, weights and which cars had the stock trunk light.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now all we need is one like this for the 92-95 civic. there is just so much missinformation out there
Old 11-02-2007, 12:02 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: 6G Civic Trim Differences (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now all we need is one like this for the 92-95 civic. there is just so much missinformation out there</TD></TR></TABLE>
I would really like to make one for 5th gens and for del Sols. I need something to start off of though. I'll probably use the same template as I did for the 6th gens, though the del Sol one would have to have lots of things added and deleted of course. They would both be for USDM trims again since I have more access to that information and since that's what would be applicable to most members on this site.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:39 PM

are you sure there isnt another INT color for coupes and hatches? i think my car has the excel charcoal INT, because ive seen the lighter grey INT(classy grey?) in other vehicles. but ive also seen a darker grey INT(almost black) than mine that only comes in the black cars.... ?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:47 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: 6G Civic Trim Differences (Mr_Midori)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr_Midori &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you sure there isnt another INT color for coupes and hatches? i think my car has the excel charcoal INT, because ive seen the lighter grey INT(classy grey?) in other vehicles. but ive also seen a darker grey INT(almost black) than mine that only comes in the black cars.... ?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm sure. I confirmed this information in the Honda Electronics Parts Catalog.

There is a lot of misinformation, particularly about the Si. There was never a black interior or a near black interior in the USDM '96-'00 Civics. Every Si came with Classy Gray. The black cars all get Classy Gray as far as I've seen. I'm not sure about black sedans though; I think they had light gray (but my list doesn't include what exterior colors matched to what interior colors yet).

You should check what color interior your hatch has. Most hatches out there have the dark gray interior and all '98-'00 USDM hatches do.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm sure. I confirmed this information in the Honda Electronics Parts Catalog.

There is a lot of misinformation, particularly about the Si. There was never a black interior or a near black interior in the USDM '96-'00 Civics. Every Si came with Classy Gray. The black cars all get Classy Gray as far as I've seen. I'm not sure about black sedans though; I think they had light gray (but my list doesn't include what exterior colors matched to what interior colors yet).

You should check what color interior your hatch has. Most hatches out there have the dark gray interior and all '98-'00 USDM hatches do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just checked and my midori does have the dark grey INT(type k). so, is this classy grey? i used to own a dark amethyst pearl hatch, and i know that the INT color was lighter than the INT of my midori(i still have some interior panels from that car) so i assumed that my midori INT was excel charcoal and the the DAP INT was classy grey... but you say that all hatches had the same interior... which is weird because i swear that the interiors of the black hatches have an even darker shade...
Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr_Midori &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just checked and my midori does have the dark grey INT(type k). so, is this classy grey? i used to own a dark amethyst pearl hatch, and i know that the INT color was lighter than the INT of my midori(i still have some interior panels from that car) so i assumed that my midori INT was excel charcoal and the the DAP INT was classy grey... but you say that all hatches had the same interior... which is weird because i swear that the interiors of the black hatches have an even darker shade... </TD></TR></TABLE>
Classy Gray is the dark gray. Excel Charcoal is light gray.

In order for your Dark Amethyst Pearl to have the Excel Charcoal (light gray) interior, it would have to be a 1997 or have a swapped out interior (which usually doesn't make sense). This is because DAP was only available for '97-'99 hatches and the light gray interior was only available for '96-'97 hatches.

I never said all hatches have the same color interiors. You misunderstood. '96 and '97 hatches have available Excel Charcoal (light gray) interiors and available Classy Gray (dark gray) interiors. '98-'00 hatches were all Classy Gray (dark gray) in the US.

You are mistaken if you think USDM hatchbacks had more than three interior color options. Note that the seat patterns are often changed, and so (for example) a Milano Red '98 EX coupe with a Classy Gray (dark gray) interior will appear to have lighter colored seats than a Milano Red '99 EX coupe with a Classy Gray (dark gray) interior. The seat patterns are different. All of the interior panels are the same though, unless they are black (like the radio bezel, cluster bezel, etc).
Old 11-02-2007, 01:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Classy Gray is the dark gray. Excel Charcoal is light gray.

In order for your Dark Amethyst Pearl to have the Excel Charcoal (light gray) interior, it would have to be a 1997 or have a swapped out interior (which usually doesn't make sense). This is because DAP was only available for '97-'99 hatches and the light gray interior was only available for '96-'97 hatches.

I never said all hatches have the same color interiors. You misunderstood. '96 and '97 hatches have available Excel Charcoal (light gray) interiors and available Classy Gray (dark gray) interiors. '98-'00 hatches were all Classy Gray (dark gray) in the US.

You are mistaken if you think USDM hatchbacks had more than three interior color options. Note that the seat patterns are often changed, and so (for example) a Milano Red '98 EX coupe with a Classy Gray (dark gray) interior will appear to have lighter colored seats than a Milano Red '99 EX coupe with a Classy Gray (dark gray) interior. The seat patterns are different. All of the interior panels are the same though, unless they are black (like the radio bezel, cluster bezel, etc).</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmmm.... interesting stuff... my old DAP was a 99(and i bought it new, so i know the interior was not swapped), so based on what you said, it has the same INT as the midori i own now(classy gray). the colors are definitely different, but i can understand if the trim colors changed slighty from year to year, even if it still listed as the same color... but i still insist that black hatches have a darker grey color than classy grey. and i dont think its just because of the seat patterns or the darker exterior color. i remember being in a black hatch and thinking of doing an interior swap with one because i have the black GSR cloth seats, and i distinctly remember the interior in those civics being a better match for my seats... weird... but thanks for all the great info NOFX!

Modified by Mr_Midori at 3:01 PM 11/2/2007
Old 11-02-2007, 02:05 PM
im hench irl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great information.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:50 AM
H-T White Ops

Btw, '99-'00s have darker seats in at least some trims. My '98 Milano Red EX coupe with a Type K interior has a lighter seat pattern than my friend's '99 Milano Red EX coupe with a Type K interior.

And more info (from the Honda Service Manual for USDM and Canadian 6th gens).

Outline of '97 Model Changes
- The molding side seal was added.
- The method of installing the rear cushion was changed (2D/3D).
- A middle floor gusset was added and the method of detaching the seat belt retractor was changed (2D/3D).
- The installation position of the washer tube was changed.

Outline of '98 Model Changes
- The hood latch cover was added.
- The hatch handle was added (3D).

Outline of '99 Model Changes
- The center panel removal and installation procedures are different.
- The front grille removal and installation procedures are different.
- The front air spoiler has been added for some models of 2D.
- A height-adjustable driver's seat was added to some models.
- Emblems were added for some models of 2D (EM1 "DOHC VTEC" side emblem).

Outline of '00 Model Changes
- The child sear anchor plate removal and installation procedures are different.
- An emblem was added for some model of 3D (Canadian Civic Special Edition).
Old 12-28-2007, 01:30 AM
H-T White Ops

I edited the first post to contain some more info.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6G Civic Trim Differences (BlueIntegraBoy)

Very nice, all you're missing here is the infamous MB4 platform, which is the 97-00 Acura EL aka the canadian civic.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:40 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: 6G Civic Trim Differences (Fresh'86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fresh’86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very nice, all you're missing here is the infamous MB4 platform, which is the 97-00 Acura EL aka the canadian civic.</TD></TR></TABLE>
There are also Canadian Civics. The Acura 1.6EL is a model sold in Canada (and Asia as the Honda Domani and Europe as the Isuzu Gemini) and is based upon the 6th gen Civic sedan. It's comparable to an EX, but with more comfort options.

But this list is just for USDM Civic trims from 1996 to 2000. That is the information which is easiest for me to access.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good info indeed. Now people don't have to ask the same question seven times a day. </TD></TR></TABLE>
lol, doubt that'll stop.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are also Canadian Civics. The Acura 1.6EL is a model sold in Canada (and Asia as the Honda Domani and Europe as the Isuzu Gemini) and is based upon the 6th gen Civic sedan. It's comparable to an EX, but with more comfort options.

But this list is just for USDM Civic trims from 1996 to 2000. That is the information which is easiest for me to access.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know, I own one in case you need any information to add to your lists. Everytime I posts pics, people call it the "canadian civic" that's why I called it that lol.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dam Girl always gotta show how more u know then us boys lol good job
Old 12-30-2007, 10:09 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fresh’86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know, I own one in case you need any information to add to your lists. Everytime I posts pics, people call it the "canadian civic" that's why I called it that lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ideally I'd want access to the Canadian EPC (I'M LOOKING FOR THIS IF ANYONE CAN GET ME A COPY!). That way I can check for all years available and all (both?) trims. I know there is a Premium trim. I'm not clear about everything else. It's not really time to start a list until I can confirm the specs with Honda of Canada. I'm betting there are more parts that were optional on the EL than most people might expect.

Quick Reply: 6G Civic Trim Differences