Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

AC problems- condensation/ice buildup no the evaporator housing

Old 07-27-2007, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC problems- condensation/ice buildup on the evaporator housing

Ok, another A/C thread- I think i know what's going on, but I just wanted to get some opinions.

'96 Accord EX-R (canadian model), 4 door, V-TEC.

A/C started making a hissing noise in a cyclical fashion from inside the passenger side lately. Also noticed the A/C isn't blowing as cold as it was. I read a bit in my SM for the car, and assumed it's the expansion valve. So, I thought I'd take a look inside the evaporator casing. I came to realize that you can't seperate the lower part of the casing without removing the entire evaporator (Don't understand why Honda didn't make this seperable so you could clean out the evaporator for leaves, etc!), but got it partially open.

Yes, there were a few leaves in the bottom of the housing and on the side of the evaporator. I cleaned those out with a vacuum. Also noticed a LOT of water and mud in the evaporator fins, but I don't feel like pulling out the entire evaporator to clean it out, (and having to discharge/recharge the system!) so I put everything back together.

Now, it's darned hot, and the A/C isn't pushing any cold air-lukewarm at best. It's colder than the outside air, but not very much. The hissing continues, and there is condensation and even ice forming on the evaporator housing.

Could this be that the flap isn't moving properly to allow the air to pass up from the evaporator? Or do I need to have the expansion valve replaced or at minimum have the evaporator housing removed and cleaned properly by a shop?

I have a feeling the expansion valve is bad, and the evaporator is freezing up.

Problem is, here in Montreal, garage work is @%^#%^& expensive!

Opinions/experience are greatly appreciated!

Modified by virgilr at 6:37 AM 7/27/2007

Modified by virgilr at 7:45 AM 7/27/2007
Old 07-27-2007, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a note- the condensation/ice issue happens when the fan speed is low. Also, I opened up the evaporator housing again, and checked- the door controlled by the temp control to allow the AC cooled air to pass through is opening and doesn't seem to be blocked.

I still have strong airflow coming out of the vents.

Update- I also checked that the heater control valve was closing completely.

Modified by virgilr at 9:43 AM 7/27/2007