Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto Transmission - Fluid Drain or Flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (slowcivic2k)

You don't pull of transmission mounts and the AT temp sensor to do a drain and fill on an Odyssey. There is a drain bolt on it just like all the other Honda transmissions. Whatever crackpot drain and fill scheme he has devised is not a Honda procedure.

No maintenace, i.e. transmission fluid changes or flushes (the 3x drain and fill with drive on the lift for .9 flat rate) is covered by any warranty. Maintenance is customer pay. Honda would never pay for someone to have their trans. fluid changed, let alone perform an unapproved power flush with a machine. If either of you knew anything about the warranty process you would know that, and if he really is a Honda factory trained tech he would know that they are not supposed to use power flush machines. I said the dealer is selling an additional service, not performing warranty work.

If agoldenau is in fact a Honda tech (which I doubt) he has some catching up to do on his Self Study training modules because there is a new module out that continues to emphasize that power flush machines should not be used. Check out the many bulletins about not doing transmission flushes and the training modules because you have a bit to learn.

I'm done with this thread.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:35 PM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: (MatterMatt)

i'm not sure if all flush machines are the same, but ours uses the trans. pump to suck the fluid out and in. no harm in that, how long does the avg. honda tranny last? (mileage)
Old 07-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (95DxSi-R2)

An automatic can last a very long time provided the fluid is kept in tip top shape. Even if this was the case, the only thing that really needs to be done to them is an inspection of the steels and clutches and possible replacements. The steels almost never go bad unless you have a mainline pressure problem which causes the clutches to slip and warp them. The valve body is self cleaning, the lip seals/o rings for the pistons would be the only other thing that I would replace besides the clutches.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: (slowcivic2k)

Let me start by saying I made a mistake. There is a drain bolt. Call it a brain fart or whatever. But the AT Temp. sensor is very similar and it's at the very bottom of the tranny. My bad.

All i'm going to say is that at the Honda Service Center that i'm employed at we use tranny flush machines, two infact. One hooks up inline with the tranny lines and one uses a tube that goes down into the AT dipstick tube.

We do this everyday, allday. We have honda reps who walk through our shop every month. We also use these machines at our other location in another part of Baltimore. I'm almost certain that if you go to any honda dealership in america you'll see tranny flush machines. Try it. Call your local honda dealership and see if they ofter a transmission flush.

One of our machines after being put in line with the tranny hoses, measures the pressure being created after the vehicle is started and exchanges based off of that rate.
The other is simply a tube you stick down into the dipstick tube into the tranny and it sucks the old out, and then puts new back in. You start the car and continue til it's done.
I understand what Honda is saying in it's bulletins. But, we still do it. And no warranty has ever been voided(at our service center) for doing said flush.

It doesn't improve the reliabilty of the transmission. It maintains it. i.e. maintenance.

If it's my vehicle i'm gonna do the flush. For the reasons I want.
Like I said it's based off preference.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:45 PM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: (agoldenau)

it will extend the life of the tranny, because your getting pretty much all the old fluid out. givin the tranny was built right and within specs. Never had a comeback on a flush with dodge (knocks on wood).
Old 08-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto Transmission - Fluid Drain or Flush (slowcivic2k)

I HAVE HEMI QUESTIONS? ANSWER THEM YOU SOUND SMART
Old 08-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto Transmission - Fluid Drain or Flush (hemichik)

WELL CAN YOU IM ME SO WE CAN CHAT,
A/S/L
Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Auto Transmission - Fluid Drain or Flush

Bringing this thread back to life. Anyone want to answer a few questions about draining my auto trans fluid on my 99 civic lx.

Im referring to this link here which was given in this thread:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x00-012e.pdf

Stupid question maybe, but anyways...
steps 3-7...they want you to start the car up after draining then refilling. Shift into drive4, drive away getting the car up to 50mph then stop. Shift into reverse without letting it roll backwards? Then shift into neutral and repeat the process of shifting several times.

It wouldnt be bad in anyway to say I had reverse out of a driveway after filling the trans back up then do those steps right? A few sidesteps from what they say to do to allow me to go through the shifting process ya know. Its not like I have a long wide open strip to do this on.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bumpy
Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say as long as you do steps 4-7 on the tsb w/in range of what you are capable of you should be fine. I'm guessing, but steps 4-7 are to simulate enough driving to push the new fluid through and reach all parts of the auto tranny components.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does that really have to be repeated 2-3times? Steps 2-9 that is...

Drain, refill, drive away to push the fluid through the gears and then park, turn engine off and repeat (drain/refill etc). Do this 2-3times or once is good?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:28 PM

The norm in both of the shops that I was at was drain and fill once. There is one rule of thumb that I follow though. Never change the auto trans fluid on a car with 90,000 plus miles on it if it wasn't done regularly before. I've seen it wreck a few transmissions in my day and I never recommend it unless I'm told to.

Plus that TSB usually doesn't work for us so we quit following it.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yikes, my car has 135k on and the trans fluid def was not kept up on!!!

I know what your saying about the old fluid almost now becoming part of the trans at this point. But, just draining it and refiling with OEM shouldnt do harm? Not going to do a power flush or over and over and over refill of fluid to totally flush out all so some old reminants may still hang in there. Whats your thoughts?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PnX-R
There is one rule of thumb that I follow though. Never change the auto trans fluid on a car with 90,000 plus miles on it if it wasn't done regularly before. I've seen it wreck a few transmissions in my day and I never recommend it unless I'm told to.
Sorry, but to advise never changing old, broke down, dirty fluid doesn't seem like good advice. I get that it might possible do something bad if you change it, but wouldn't never changing it guarantee failure?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mhorton
Sorry, but to advise never changing old, broke down, dirty fluid doesn't seem like good advice. I get that it might possible do something bad if you change it, but wouldn't never changing it guarantee failure?
It will cause eventual failure, but sometimes changing dirty fluid that's been in there for 100k will cause a near instantaneous failure. Its like playing Russian roulette with your transmission.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldnt replace with honda atf,redline ftw!!
although my auto is charged and running 280whp until i build the motor,my tranny was drained completely with the machine and then 2l was pump thru it to get rid of old oil then redline went in,

side question:does the torque converter lock up in fourth?this is a beseries auto 94teg

Last edited by spawn_616; 11-04-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: cnat spell