Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Difference between white primer, and black primer?

Old 04-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between white primer, and black primer?

Well, yeah I haven't seen this asked but it shouldn't hurt to ask. Is there a difference in black or white primer? I was doing my research, I saw many build-ups and they are using white primer. I used black primer to paint my lip, does the color of the primer affect the shade of the paint?

Leave the useless flaming out of here.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between white primer, and black primer? (EK9Tune)

Yes, it will make a difference if you shoot the color right over the primer. But you could and should shoot sealer on top of it. This is sometimes called value shade, and it will make a big difference. Ask a paint shop what value of sealer you need usually 1-7.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a bunch, I learned something new today. ;]
Old 06-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I knew that the color of the primer would effect the color of the paint. When we painted my car, we ended up using a dark primer and the paint ended up being darker than what it should be...when its being resprayed in a couple weeks, i'll be sure to use a much lighter or even a white primer.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between white primer, and black primer? (EK9Tune)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK9Tune &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> does the color of the primer affect the shade of the paint?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The color of the primer affects the coverage ability of the paint not the color or shade. If your finish is a different shade than you did not achive full coverage. Some types, brands of paint cover well some do not and require a ground coat or similar, tinted primer or sealer. Its a good idea to do test spray out to determine the type of coverage before hand if your not familiar w/ the color. So if you do it right, your color will match accordingly. If your doing a colmplete and don't care about coverage than it will affect the shade, but thats a different thing itself
Old 06-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Difference between white primer, and black primer? (powerflow)

I just got white primer and am painting my car black using rollers, was white primer a good choice?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between white primer, and black primer? (S-=N=-A-=K=-E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S-=N=-A-=K=-E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just got white primer and am painting my car black using rollers, was white primer a good choice? </TD></TR></TABLE>

no cause if it chips you will see white specks.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: R.I.P Brian Arbogast...you will be missed, maryland, USA
Default Re: Difference between white primer, and black primer? (powerflow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by powerflow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The color of the primer affects the coverage ability of the paint not the color or shade. If your finish is a different shade than you did not achive full coverage. Some types, brands of paint cover well some do not and require a ground coat or similar, tinted primer or sealer. Its a good idea to do test spray out to determine the type of coverage before hand if your not familiar w/ the color. So if you do it right, your color will match accordingly. If your doing a colmplete and don't care about coverage than it will affect the shade, but thats a different thing itself
.</TD></TR></TABLE> this is so true. idk why ppl think u will get a diff color using and diff color primer.. thats why u use a spray out card to see how much paint u need to put on
Old 06-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Genuine Rolla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Genuine Rolla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I knew that the color of the primer would effect the color of the paint. When we painted my car, we ended up using a dark primer and the paint ended up being darker than what it should be...when its being resprayed in a couple weeks, i'll be sure to use a much lighter or even a white primer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

same here i had to learn it the hard way
Old 06-21-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Re: (DynastyRacer22)

I'm ising white primer to paint my 3rd gen prelude. It's going to be sungold yellow. I don't want to go black anymore because i don't want to risk having accidents from people hitting me at night. So i think yellow is the way to go for me haha, i'm using rollers to paint my car. just got to do the prep work, and i say its tires me out.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (S-=N=-A-=K=-E)

^show us some pics when your done
Old 06-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, I have white, grey, and black primer. I'm not sure what I should even use anymore. I'm guessing white since the yellow is such a bright color. The paint on my front bumper is chipping, (GLO Autobody didn't primer my front end and now it chips)
Old 06-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm respraying mine EBP and we we did it the first time we just sprayed right over a filler primer, which was very dark so the color was a tad bit darker than what it should have been. This time through we know better.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Genuine Rolla)

I usually spray a ground coat or tinted sealer if full coverage is not reached in 3 coats. Its very important to know before hand if the color covers well or not.