Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

New owner questions, "where's the horn?"

Old 04-19-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner questions, "where's the horn?"

Hi Everyone,
Well, I've had my Fit for about a month now.
Have about 6500 miles on the clock already.
A few blasts from LA to SF, and then Wednesday it was Vegas and back for the big Broadcast show there.

(I do high speed video for TV, Movies, Military, etc and am all over the place.
If you watch CSI vegas and Discovery you've prob seen my stuff.)
Amazingly, the Fit holds all of the camera gear that used to fill my Astro van.

With the Astro at those miles at 16 mpg I was spending $10,000 a year in gas alone! So from just the gas savings the Fit, insurance, etc is literally a free car, and at 3.00 I'd come out $100 ahead every month. Just yesterday I got nailed for 4.19 for REGULAR!!!!

And, it's fun. It's kinda like driving my Lotus, but practical.

My first observation is that no one respects the Fit.
That is, almost every day someone next to me changes lanes and pushes me off the road. They just ignore me laying on the horn and come on over. I'm beginning to think that the shoulder on the I-15 is my private lane I've been pushed there so much!!! The Fit horn is pretty whimpy, so got air horns, but now I'm trying to figure out how to get to the factory horn to replace it. I can hear that it's on the right side somewhere, but how the heck to I get to it? Didn't want to just start pulling panels off before I knew better where it resided.

And about the fuel economy, wish it was better considering the size. But then again here in LA you get run over at 70mph. I can get away with it in my old Land Rover because it's a little tank, but no way in the Fit. And when I gotta get to San Francisco I want to be there, so it's usually running 80-85, so I don't baby it. So far the low has been two tanks at 27m, but other than that it's been 30-33mpg. Not too bad I guess.

Anyway, thanks for listening. Yea, I know I write too much! lol!!! And does anyone know how to get at the horn??

John
Old 04-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New owner questions, "where's the horn?" (Canyonman)

Youre correct about the location. The easiest way to get to it (to me) is pulling the front bumper off.
Removing the clips and all that will give you space. Youll still be limited to the angles and movement with your hands and arms.

Id remove the front bumper. Its located on the right/passenger side of the bumper. Its right next to the foglight. (sport)

I also have a type of air horn on my Fit. Saw this compact design at a autoparts store. Its actually louder than those trumpet air horns (not train horns) with all the lines and compressor. Yet it was a tad bigger than the OEM horn.
All I did was mount it in the same spot, wire it up.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:31 AM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At least the OEM horn isn't one of those *beep beep* horns. The 06 Civic I had came with an embarrassing horn.

If I was pissed at the guy in front of me I could only give a *BEEP BEEP* lol
Old 04-20-2008, 09:16 AM

Default Re: New owner questions, "where's the horn?" (Canyonman)

Thanks for the info. I suspected it was easiest. Already pulled the fender mostly off to get the XM antenna installed. When I have a few minutes I'll have to pull the bumper and get the horn swapped.

I'd like the air horns too because the alarm goes beep-beep every time I turn it on and off. Firgure air horns wouldn't be as loud since the compressor wouldn't ramp up too fast.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (eL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At least the OEM horn isn't one of those *beep beep* horns. The 06 Civic I had came with an embarrassing horn.

If I was pissed at the guy in front of me I could only give a *BEEP BEEP* lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

aww, c'mon. but those one's sounded like the Road runner!
Old 04-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At least the OEM horn isn't one of those *beep beep* horns. The 06 Civic I had came with an embarrassing horn.

If I was pissed at the guy in front of me I could only give a *BEEP BEEP* lol</TD></TR></TABLE>
Id rather it have that style horn rather than the domestic Neon tone it has stock.
I hated the Fit horn. I refused to use it until I swapped it out.