Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Motorcycles
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
shadownin
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default newbie w/ shadow 750 ACE starting problems

First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Mike, I'm in the Air Force, live in Wyoming, and just recently got the 'go-ahead' from the 'boss' to get my first bike. So, last week, I picked up a beautiful 2003 Shadow ACE. Looks great, unfortunately, I'm having problems starting her.

I know this is a really dumb topic, but I've gone through the manual, this forum, and many other forums and for some reason can't find an answer.

When I try to start her, everything is on (fuel switch, engine shut-off switch, ignintion, and in neutral w/ the choke out and kickstand up & down) and is full of fuel, I push the start button, she turns... and turns... and turns. A friend came by, we checked the spark plugs, which were wet, so we cleaned them off, made sure there wasn't any fuel left, put the plugs back in, and tried again, with the choke out, with it all the way in, and a little in between. No luck. We then checked the battery, was pretty low, so charged it up, and tried again. Still no luck. At this point I'm pretty frustrated because this is my first bike and don't know what to do. SOMEBODY HELP!!!
shadownin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
that one guy
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: newbie w/ shadow 750 ACE starting problems (shadownin)

check to see if ur gettin spark to the plugs, take plugs out and turn it over a few times cause you might have flooded it, check air filter and intake system so its getting air, check carbs arnt gunked up or if its fi make sure throttle boddies are functioning and injectors are injecting. basically think of the 4 steps the engine goes through and check everything that makes that step work until it runs.
that one guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
MSchu
My Name is Nobody
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: newbie w/ shadow 750 ACE starting problems (that one guy)

you flooded your bike... never continue to crank a bike if she wont fire up fairly quickly, this is a sure fire way to kill a stator. MAKE SURE your plugs are good, take one out and plug it into the plug wire and set the electrode on a steel surface on the bike... if you do not see sparking then it is an electrical problem... ignitor, ignition, coil issue. make sure your wires are seated and plugged into the coils firmly. if you see spark, then you may have a fuel flooding issue. try not to use so much choke... choke is not always necessary... I take it then this is a carbed bike?
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
not2slo128
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: newbie w/ shadow 750 ACE starting problems (MSchu)

back to basics:

fuel
air
spark

fuel: You have wet plugs; you have fuel
air: duh
spark: this is most likely your problem. Check plugs/ignition system
not2slo128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
3Dcycle
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: newbie w/ shadow 750 ACE starting problems (not2slo128)

hey try to drain your float bowls. just cause it got gas dont mean it good gas.
3Dcycle is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
2006, 750, ace, button, drain, engine, flooding, fuel, honda, ignition, plugs, problem, shadow, spark, start, starting, wires