Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

blinker problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blinker problems

I know its not audio security or video but it is wiring and I think i shorted out my blinkers and now they wont blink and the turn signals wont go off in the car either. can someone help?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: blinker problems (otse)

Most likely, you blew a fuse.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:09 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Now I am pretty sure we are talking about a Honda/Acura here, but just in case why don't you tell us the MM&Y of the car?

Also I am not sure I understand, on one hand you say your signal lights "don't blink" and on the other hand you say " the turn signals wont go off in the car either", what do you mean "wont go off"

Do your hazard lights work?
Have you checked your signal light fuse?
Are the signal lights the only thing(s) not working properly? 94
Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: blinker problems (fcm)

k a 94 honda prelude
I mean both the turn signals dont show up when i turn it left or right, also they dont blink on the outside, also the hazards dont work.
I havent seen a signal fuse either in my car.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:21 AM
fcm
Old Fart

There will be a signal light fuse and a hazard light fuse, both fused lines go to the hazard light switch, with the signal light line going through the switch, [when it is off] to the signal light/hazard light relay, then from there to the signal light switch.

When the hazard switch is on the hazard light fused line goes through the switch to the signal light/hazard light relay, all wiring after hazard light switch is common for the hazard lights and the signal lights, except the hazards do not go through the signal light switch, they go back through the hazard switch and connect directly to the lights themselves.

Because both hazards and signals do not work it can only be a problem at or before the hazard switch, the switch itself is defective or both fuses are blown, if both fuses are blown a short can be anyplace along the wiring, if the hazard fuse blows as soon as it is installed, problem is the hazard switch or before it, if it blows as soon as you turn on the hazards the problem is at the switch or after the switch.

If the signal light fuse blows as soon as you turn on the ign. the problem can be anyplace between the fuse and the signal light switch, if it blows when you turn on the signals the problem is after the signal light switch.

Do you have a multimeter or test light?
If not you will need one or the other, you can get a digital multimeter at RadioShack for $20, it will pay for itself in no time and is an indispensable tool when troubleshooting electrical problems in your car. 94
Old 06-02-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Re: blinker problems (fcm)

I have looked at all of my fuses and havent seen a hazard light fuse or a signal light fuse
Old 06-02-2007, 11:37 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Then you have not found them, they may be on another fuse, do you have a meter or test light? 94

PS, do you have the cars manual?
Old 02-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: blinker problems

I guess i can bump this, i have a similar problem.
all my lights turn on but the signals will not blink and neither will the hazards. I was thinking it was a relay cause i replaced all the fuses with new ones when i bought this car. Do the hazards have a separate relay from the signals?
If i replace the relay and it still does not work what should i try next?

[edit]
Damn i just noticed this was in the wrong forum section to get a good response?
can a mod move this please?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:37 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by courtney42
I guess i can bump this, i have a similar problem.
all my lights turn on but the signals will not blink and neither will the hazards. I was thinking it was a relay cause i replaced all the fuses with new ones when i bought this car. Do the hazards have a separate relay from the signals?
If i replace the relay and it still does not work what should i try next?

[edit]
Damn i just noticed this was in the wrong forum section to get a good response?
can a mod move this please?
Replace the "Signal/Hazard Lights Relay". 94
Old 02-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah , i think this will solve the problem. But. . .
In the fuse cluster there is a spot for a big relay and it is labeled "turn" There is no relay plugged in there.
In a diagram i got off the internet of all the fuses it says that that slot is not used?
At the auto parts store the guy said that the relay is built into the turn Switch on the steering console? I don't think this is right?
Where is the relay located on a 94 del sol si?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:58 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by courtney42
Yeah , i think this will solve the problem. But. . .
Where is the relay located on a 94 del sol si?
Sorry, not sure where it is on a Del Sol and unless they are using a diff, system on a Del Sol then other Honda/Acura then there is one "flasher" relay for both the hazards and signal lights power for both the hazards and the signal lights go through the hazard switch then to and through the signal/hazard light relay and back to the hazard switch, for hazards, [switch connects and parallels the left and right side lights] and to the signal light switch, however, there are many ways to wire the hazard/signal lights up and the Del Sol may be using a diff. system.
I will check at work today to see what I can find. 94
Old 02-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found em.
It is found hidden behind the fuse block up against the side wall under the dash.
You have to unscrew the fuse block and pull it forward to even get to it. I still cant figure out how to pull it off the bracket holding the relay. It slides on to it somehow. Oh well. There is the answer folks.
/thread
Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 AM

I have the same issue. driving lights come on, reverse lights work, brake lights work, but I have no blinkers. All bulbs are good and light up. All fuses in both boxes have been changed, and the hazard/turn signal relay has been changed as well. Still I have no blinkers in the rear. On the dash they blink, but it is really fast like a bulb is out, but i know all bulbs work. Where should I go from here?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well in my car the inside blinker arrow blinks REALLY fast when i turn the signals on and idk what it is, can i get help please?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:53 AM
New User

Originally Posted by fcm
Sorry, not sure where it is on a Del Sol and unless they are using a diff, system on a Del Sol then other Honda/Acura then there is one "flasher" relay for both the hazards and signal lights power for both the hazards and the signal lights go through the hazard switch then to and through the signal/hazard light relay and back to the hazard switch, for hazards, [switch connects and parallels the left and right side lights] and to the signal light switch, however, there are many ways to wire the hazard/signal lights up and the Del Sol may be using a diff. system.
I will check at work today to see what I can find. 94
I'm trying to help out a friend with an 03 TL and she is having the same issue. The Blinker and Hazard fuses do not blow until after she has been driving for a few minutes. Any info would be appreciated.