Notices

Homemade Universal Brake Pressure Bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Universal Brake Pressure Bleeder

Sup fellas,

Did some bleeding today and though I show you how I approached it. When it comes to brakes, take it to a professional if you don't know exactly what your doing. I'm am just sharing my experience and do not encourge anyone to do the same. Forgive me, I am a Mechanical Engineer and I'm use to all that ethics talk.

I went to home depot and picked up some materials. I already have a compressor so I didn't need a pump.

1/4 brass compressor fitting (1/2" threads) or hose fitting for a pump
2" to 2" hose connector with clamps
2" hose plug

Cost 8 bucks.

Just drilled a 1/2" to thread the tapered fitting in.

Placed it on the MC reservoir and securely tighted the clamps.

Applied pressure to check for leaks.

From observation, I just more than doubled the fluid capacity, so I don't have to refill as often.

With the set-up, I only had to go above 20 psi once to find out what would happen. So, I did not go over 15 psi.

From there I use bleeding sequence RR FL RL FR. Test drove it and did it again.

Did not even have to lift the car or remove wheels. Backs are easy to get to and front calipers can be reached if you turn the wheel all the way like so.

This is with 15x7s also. How you like them homemade center caps by the way.

My thoughts on Mityvac

Modified by 94 Supra TT at 2:46 AM 5/7/2007
Old 05-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Homemade Universal Brake Pressure Bleeder (94 Supra TT)

This is great, I award you an Ace$nyper gold star.

That is a rare award, wear it with pride.

Great idea and write up, I'm no joke making one this week
Old 05-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to make it eaven cleaner u can buy that clear hose, a size that gors over the nipple of the bleader screw & make it go into a bottle... but this is pretty good for someone w/ a compressor, looks like i am SOL
Old 05-06-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: (92civicfreak)

you have the longest middle finger ive ever seen....its like a rocket taking off from your hand
Old 05-06-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: (nappyroots827)

LMFAO, yeah I flipped it like that on purpose to prove my point.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nappyroots827)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nappyroots827 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have the longest middle finger ive ever seen....its like a rocket taking off from your hand</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA, im shaking with laughter, i didnt even notice that until u said it. I bet his ol lady likes it
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Re: (gator88)

That's very creative!

I like it!!

With 15 psi, how fast does the fluid come out?

Wes
Old 05-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Wes V)

This is a fantastic idea, but is refilling a pain in the butt?

How can you keep an eye on the fluid level?

What did you not like about the MityVac? I've used one with some degree of success for a while now.

If you dont have a compressor, couldnt a MityVac be used as the supply of air pressure?

Modified by fireant at 10:38 AM 5/7/2007
Old 05-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fireant)

nice
Old 05-07-2007, 08:38 AM

Default Re: (fireant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fireant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is a fantastic idea, but is refilling a pain in the butt?

How can you keep an eye on the fluid level?

What did you not like about the MityVac? I've used one with some degree of success for a while now.

If you dont have a compressor, couldnt a MityVac be used as the supply of air pressure?

Modified by fireant at 10:38 AM 5/7/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

With the two person method refilling is a pain because you have to do it so often. This way I could put more fluid in because of the add space of the connector.

If you put some equally spaced marks on the drain bottle after a while you can get an idea when you need to refill.

Mityvac is a workout and air passes through the bleeder screw threads. In my experiece at least.

Mityvac does not build pressure.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Re: (94 Supra TT)

What exactly is the purpose of all of this
Old 05-07-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Re: (W O T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W O T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What exactly is the purpose of all of this</TD></TR></TABLE>

a really efficient way of bleeding the brakes by yourself
Old 05-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (W O T)

Old 05-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Homemade Universal Brake Pressure Bleeder (94 Supra TT)

You do not suck.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:09 AM
$cat /dev/urandom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Homemade Universal Brake Pressure Bleeder (Joseph Davis)

good idea.. i hate bleeding brakes more than anything, and i always seem to have to do it.. i am definitely going to use this technique next time. for you.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94 Supra TT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

With the two person method refilling is a pain because you have to do it so often. This way I could put more fluid in because of the add space of the connector.

If you put some equally spaced marks on the drain bottle after a while you can get an idea when you need to refill.

Mityvac is a workout and air passes through the bleeder screw threads. In my experiece at least.

Mityvac does not build pressure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, I see, so you put the rubber part on first then add more fluid, then put on the cap. I'm going to try this out this weekend.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94 Supra TT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Mityvac does not build pressure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

innovative and resourceful. i like it!

i dont mind the 2 person method really. i dont find myself having to fill up THAT often. but this is a very nice way to replicate something like the Motive pressure bleeder at home with cheap stuff and accomplish a full bleed with 1 person.

but how does someone without a compressor, let alone a regulator get this done? or even away from the home garage. tire pump maybe?

i still think 2 person method is the best way tho.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tyson)

that's what I'm wondering too.. I have a compressor, but not a regulator... I guess I could put a gauge right there on the cap... I'd hate to accidentally have the cap pop up and sloosh brake fluid everywhere.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that actually happened before. also i did something similar when i was cleaning my injectors.

pressured injector cleaner trough the injector using my compressor and a regulator.

good stuff man. i gotta do this tottally!
Old 05-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but how does someone without a compressor, let alone a regulator get this done? or even away from the home garage. tire pump maybe?

i still think 2 person method is the best way tho.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think i'm gonna make one with a valve stem from a tire rather than a fitting, then you can just hook up a 12 auto tire compressor or even a bike tire (most have gauges in them).

i really like this idea
thanks man
Old 05-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (higgunscrx)

cookies for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 02:46 AM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tried it

Hey all, i just gave this a shot last night, and I'll have to say I found it gives mixed results. (but it could be I didn't bleed enough)

I tried to bleed it the old 2 man way, 3x, and I couldn't get all the air out, so the pedal was VERY Spongy, so I found this, and got all the parts, and fired it up.

A couple of observations:

DO NOT GO OVER 15psi! Lol. the cap will shoot off and spray brake fluid all over.

You MUST use a regulator that WORKS. It should ONLY send 15psi to the device or it will pop as above. I first got one that I could set for 15psi, but then it would drive the pressure slowly to 100! so I had to take it back, and get a different kind.

Now thats outta the way, I found it worked pretty well, tho I still have a simi soft pedal. I had just replaced rotors, pads, hoses and rebuilt calipers, so I know I had lots of air, but as above, I did bleed it 3x with the 2 man, so most of it was out when I tried this.

I got some air out of a couple of wheels, but after letting it bleed on the rears for more than 30 seconds at a time, (and refilling before it ran dry) I couldn't get whatever last little bubble is in the system out, and the brakes are still a bit spongy. WHERE IS THAT DAMN BUBBLE?? lol (also, under 15psi, I found NO LEAKS!! )

This was a system that was VERY tight Fri night before I put the new parts on, and has been sence I took it to a shop to get bled after doing a MC a couple of years ago, so I KNOW it should be better with the MC and Booster I have.

In the test drive, the car stopped allright, (about 40ft for 40mph) and I got it to lock up the LF once w/o a pull side to side, if that helps anyone (used to lock all 4 tho)

I pretty much gave up now, and will probbly take it to be bled again at a shop, just to make sure its right, but really, I was hoping this was my solution.

Overall I'll give this a and just figure I couldn't get it quite right, tho someone with a 2nd gallon of brake fluid might be able to do better than I

Thanks OP, great idea!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Homemade Universal Brake Pressure Bleeder

Thanks for the idea. I went ahead and implemented this as an attachment for the motive pressure bleeder kit. The universal adapter gave me problems in n my 97 Civic.

I used a 3/8" OD hose for a faster flow rate. The 2" hose plug I bought had the manufacturer imprint at the top which didnt make the surface quite flat enough. This gave me problems with the brass adapter not holding pressure when stuck into the cap. I used some silicon sealant on the sidewalls of the drilled hole and on the adapter. After waiting for it to dry I did a pressure test. I am glad to say that the system was able to hold 15 psi with no issues. I will be doing the brake fluid job tomorrow morning I hope to update with results then.

I purchased 3/8'' ID hose for a faster flow rate.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:15 PM
CRX God

Let me get this right. You are applying air pressure at the front instead of vacuum at the end of the system in order to remove air bubbles from the lines. Is it just me or does this seem like a bad idea?
Old 08-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2007~2008

Quick Reply: Homemade Universal Brake Pressure Bleeder