Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

DIY: Purchasing LED's for a Integra gauge cluster... UBER detailed DIY

Old 04-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY: Purchasing LED's for a Integra gauge cluster... UBER detailed DIY

4-8-09**Edit** You need THESE BULBS IF YOU WANT TO DO WHAT I DID.

WLED-x-x LED bulb
12VDC 1-LED Wedge Base Bulb (194/168 type) with 90 or 120 degree Wide Viewing Angle LED
Select LED Color and Viewing Angle
$ 0.79

If you're interested in trying to do LED's in your climate control, I believe one of these bulbs is the correct bulb for the job.

B8.5D-x Instrument Cluster LED bulb
1-LED Twist-Lock Instrument Cluster and Gauge illumination bulb Smaller version of T1.5 seen above Select LED Color
$ 1.59

Or this one

B8.3D-x Instrument Cluster LED bulb
1-LED Twist-Lock Instrument Cluster and Gauge illumination bulb Smaller version of T1.5 seen above Select LED Color
$ 1.59

------------------------------

Originally Posted by mac_24_seven
As promised.. the pic of my gauge cluster. Sorry it's blurry.. It was taken w/a very nice canon digital SLR but I'm not the photographer in the family and I can;t take pics w/it at night.
So this'll have to do. Again, sorry it's blurry. This was the best out of five

I'll get better pics when I get my gauges installed ( I'll have my wife do it )

**Edit**
I've had more PM's and questions about my gauge cluster than anything else. Everybody wanted to know where to buy them.. Though I've replied to many IM's (at least 8-10) and also replied in my project thread, I still get questions....
SO, this is about as detailed of a walkthrough as you can get on buying these bulbs and the installation (which will be up shortly).

**Edit** 4-7-08: updated link, as superbrightleds changed their format somewhat.
Step 1:
Click on this link..Single LED Wedge Base Bulbs
You'll go this the page...

If you can't figure out where to click from looking at the above pic, please, punch yourself in the face and repeat the above step.

Step 2:
Hopefully the face punchers will have figured out where to go after a few times. For the more intellegent ones in the populous, you were rewarded with the below page. Now, this is after some scrollage to the bottom, so don't panic of you don't see this right away.. Scroll to the bottom and your next step will be waiting.

If you can't figure out where to go on this page, call a friend, get him/her to come over and give them the honor/joy/pleasure of punching you in the face.

Step 3:
If your face isn't sore from getting hit, your doing good! If it is, well... Life is tough sometimes, but chicks dig scars and bruses heal
You'll be on this page by now (hopefully):

--Scroll down 13 items (the are item # 13)
--Click on the quantity.
--Type in 3
--Click on Add to cart
--Select LED color ( Blue in my case)
--If your done buying bulbs, pat yourself on the back and click on Check Out
If your still having trouble, go back to step one and repeat all face puncing. Call another friend if needed to help out.

Step 4:
Have your CC ready (must be 18 or older to order, have yor parents permission, blah blah blah) You will be on this page.

If everything looks good and again, your done buying LED's, click on the highlighted area in the pic. Unfortunately, if you don't know where to click, no amount of getting hit in the face will help you. Just go and die quietly in a lonely corner somewhere dark, damp and cold. But please, try not to make it messy. Think of the guy who's gotta clean it up, ok? Thanks.

Step 5:
You'll end up here:

Fill in the information and click verify order. You'll go to a confirmation page (if memory serves me correct). If evrything is good, hit process order or whatever to place your order. I think you've been trained well enough now to recognize what to click on. If directions were followed, only the elite have made it this far and all face punches are decaying quietly and without creating a mess.

Congrats! You've just bought you some Vtak LED's!!

The write up on the installation will come later this morning. Maybe 1 or 2 of you will be amused by my twisted humor.. I dunno I was bored

Enj0y!

Modified by mac_24_seven at 2:04 PM 4/3/2007

Modified by mac_24_seven at 7:29 AM 4/7/2008

Modified by mac_24_seven at 7:30 AM 4/7/2008

Modified by mac_24_seven at 7:32 AM 4/7/2008

Modified by mac_24_seven at 7:32 AM 4/7/2008
Old 04-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY: Purchasing LED's for a Integra gauge cluster... UBER detailed DIY (mac_24_seven)

lolz... mad vtak led's ftw!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIY: Purchasing LED's for a Integra gauge cluster... UBER detailed DIY (Andrew Marquis)

I've tried those amber led's in my cluster before and i personally thought it came out looking like garbage. The spread of the light wasn't even, and I didn't like how the needles looked afterwards. I just went to walmart and picked up a set of the 194 amber bulbs, and now it looks identical to the ITR clusters. Your cluster looks good with that color combination though.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: DIY: Purchasing LED's for a Integra gauge cluster... UBER detailed DIY (iH8RICERZ)

I did this on my Civic about a year ago. It came out pretty good on the cluster, but I want to try replacing the LEDs with the 5-LED wide angle to try to get it more even. The climate control is absolutely hideous how uneven it is. I also want to take the cluster apart and see if I can get the mileage odometer to light up white while everything else is red. And the thing that sucks about the Civics is that the needles don't light up. What started me on this whole adventure was my jealousy of my girlfriend's 01 Civic EX cluster.

I think your write-up is hilarious. I know exactly how it feels getting tons of PMs from ******* retards who can barely even function, let alone do any kind of modification. If you need a write-up to do this, you're either extremely retarded, or you lack any kind of self-confidence.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: DIY: Purchasing LED's for a Integra gauge cluster... UBER detailed DIY (mac_24_seven)

LOL, bad humor and spelling, but I hope it gets the point across.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: Purchasing LED's for a Integra gauge cluster... UBER detailed DIY (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL, bad humor and spelling, but I hope it gets the point across.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it does Obviously I can spell (somewhat) and the humor... As long as you take it w/a grain of salt, you'll be OK

Perhaps I should put a disclaimer stating I in no way condone nor suggest self abuse or suicide is the way to solve any problem
Old 04-03-2007, 10:48 AM

Can't wait for this guide to be finished, tbh. Just to be clear, LED dash lights are street-legal? Or do color restrictions apply (red, etc)?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AlNeri)

Yes they are... and I'll be finishing it up in a few minutes.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (mac_24_seven)

hahaha glad it turned out good. i've been hearing that other's haven't been having that much luck.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: (trkd_out)

how unevenly is the light spread if youre using the led bulbs? anyone have pics? are they really that bad? The OP cluster looks pretty good but maybe its the blurriness.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (trkd_out)

OK.... Sorry for the craptacular pics, but they'll have to do.

Here goes my uber write up. If you can't do this w/this write up, never pick up a tool to work on your car EVER.

Step 1: What we need to be looking at. Simple enough, unless your blind. But then you don't need to be driving a car and surely could'nt care less about the color of an instrument cluster.

Step 2: Remove the Bezel screws.
Again, pretty freaking self explanitory. You just need a kinda short screw driver.

Step 3: Remove bezel and rejoice! Angels decended from heaven singing one long note when I removed mine.. you may not have the same experience. if not, a simple thumbs up to yourself will do.

Step 4: Remove evil screws. I only took one pic, but there are 3 screws total. The one the cool white arrow is pointing at is kinda hard to see (impossible in the pic) but it's there.. Hiding.. Waiting for you to remove it and drop it into the depths of yoru dash (yes, I've lost a few screws doing this). There is another screw on the opposite side and one at the very top in the middle of the cluister.

Step 5: Remove the cluster/make the bulbs accessable.
It's nice and warm here in FL and my car is parked in the sun, so the wires were soft and made this easy to do. I simply grabbed it (with my hands) and pulled it (using a whole bunch of muscles I have no clue the names of) and turned it (with the greatest skill and precision) so it looks like the below pic.
The cool white arrows are pointing to the locations of the (3) 194 bulbs that you need to remove/replace w/the LED's. Siply twist (using your hands again) the bulbs out and replace them w/the bulbs you previously learned how to buy. **Note** you need to have them in yoru possession before you attempt this**

And there ya go! Simply do the reverse of everything you did to get it out, screw everything down and put the bezel back into place and yoru done!
A good idea would be to check and make sure your cluster lights up, since I had to fiddle w/ one of the bulbs because it wasnt getting a good connection.

And, on a side note.. I kinda did the same thing w/my climate control.. removing the orange paint stuff from the buttons w/a quetip and some nail polish remover. BE CAREFUL!! I removed too much on my original one and it looked like crap I actually dissassembled this thing and painted the bulbs blue. Not very bright, but it's got a cool hint of blue at night.

There. Again, if you can't replace the bulbs after these 2 write ups... Do us all a favor..

DON'T HAVE KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enj0y!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:49 AM

awesome job, should be good to go now. where you have your wallet is where i keep my sunpass :D
Old 04-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I pm'd you, but just a quick question. Did you buy blue LED's. I am assuming so because the first pic is blue, but I just want to make sure before I order these.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2007, 12:42 PM

damn that **** looks hella bright. i did one myself but used ambers looks great
Old 04-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump. still wondering what color bulbs you bought.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Nikon!!!

Default Re: (carrnut21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carrnut21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bump. still wondering what color bulbs you bought.</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe you cant see primary colors or just blind, but his cluster is blue. this usually means that the bulb color is ummm....blue?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, great write up
Old 04-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks alot ********, i was just making sure, i didnt want to end up with the wrong color LEDs.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

&lt;chuckles&gt;

Man, I replied to your PM as well.. And, I mean... It's blue! White light does'nt light up things around it blue, nor does grren yellow or purple.. Only BLUE lights up stuff BLUE. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

And actually hehehheh, I spent about 10 mins looking for a pic from "Liar, Liar" (the Jim Carrey movie) where he had wrote BLUE all over him self. I was going to put a caption " The Godd@mn LED's are blue!"

Could'nt find it.

Take it w/a grain of salt mang.. It could always be worse I could have called you a f'N moron and whatnot, but I didn't
Old 04-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mac_24_seven)

the liar liar pic would've been awesome.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: (clover99b18c1)

A better shot of this "un-even lighting" would be nice, but o well I already bought them. I guess I'll have to see it myself. If its that bad I'll just swap it with my amber from my GS-R.

Edit: I also read Step 2 first (IE being lame + Touch Pad = crap) and I thought I was in the wrong thread. Funny write-up.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98BabiGs-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98BabiGs-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A better shot of this "un-even lighting" would be nice, but o well I already bought them. I guess I'll have to see it myself. If its that bad I'll just swap it with my amber from my GS-R. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude... If you bought the ones I did, I 10000000000% guarantee you WILL NOT be dissapointed. The pics don't do em justice.. I'll get better ones tonight Just hold tight.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98BabiGs-T)

when i did green about a month or 2 ago i got the wide angle bulbs and it looks fine. except for the color of the needles, does anyone have a solution to this?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blahblah718293)

you can clear them w/nail polish remover and then paint them. not sure on the specifics like what kind of paint is best, but it's also pretty easy. i remember seeing an article on ti about it, look there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Purchasing LED's for a Integra gauge cluster... UBER detailed DIY