See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:08 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1

Originally Posted by Honda gal 777
WOW Touring Honda, exceptional write up.
Thanks
Old 10-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1

thanks TouringAccord! I was able to change my timing belt today with the help of your ridiculously awesome tutorial!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:05 AM
H-T Order of Merit

haha, you're welcome, glad it helped you.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Trial User

followed steps to replace timing belt and i still have a leak
Old 10-28-2010, 07:08 AM
H-T Order of Merit

I'm unsure what you're talking about...

I assume you replaced the oil seals while doing the timing belt? What seals did you replace? Where was your leak coming from before replacing the seals? Where is the leak now coming from after replacing the seals?

The seal could have been damaged during installation. The shaft or housing could have been scratched during removal of the old seals.

We will need more information if you would like help.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the excellent "How-To" and pictures that are like being there! Do you have your PDF version hosted anywhere now?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great writeup - THANKS!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:51 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by brakedrum
Thanks for the excellent "How-To" and pictures that are like being there! Do you have your PDF version hosted anywhere now?
Thank you. Yes, the link to the pdf can be found at the bottom of the first post. I just checked it, it does work, but is a bit slow.

Originally Posted by clempot911
Great writeup - THANKS!
thank you and you're welcome
Old 12-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I've read all 18 pages and it looks like I'm the 1st guy to do this.... I forgot the allen wrench in the rear balance hole when I was tensioning the belts. Doh! I heard 2 or 3 small clicks and stopped. Realized what I did immediately and had to back the crank up to get the allen wrench out.
Anyone know if I've stripped any gears in there before I put everything back together?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:05 AM
H-T Order of Merit

I don't think you stripped anything. The clicks you heard were probably the belt jumping the teeth on the rear balancer gear since it was locked in position. Just make sure you have everything aligned properly before continuing.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you. Yes, the link to the pdf can be found at the bottom of the first post. I just checked it, it does work, but is a bit slow.

Got it. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you're right. The rear balancer was off a couple teeth along w/ the front balancer. It must have jumped on the rear balancer and turned the front with it. I couldn't put the allen wrench in the service port at TDC. I used the alignment marks on the rear balancer to put things back and the allen wrench fit fine again. She started right up and purrs
Old 12-07-2010, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a picture of the rear balancer with the alignment mark corresponding to the 'rib' in the housing at TDC. I looked at Touring's 1st pictures and one of the shots of TDC shows his rear balancer with a 'dot' that looks like the same location on the pulley.

Name:  rearbalanceralignment.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  136.2 KB
Old 12-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Trial User

best write up and how to i have ever seen one question the upper timing cover has to be removed first ? i got the right bolt out but when i went to remove the lower left all it does is spin and can't get it out
Old 12-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by beberle
Here's a picture of the rear balancer with the alignment mark corresponding to the 'rib' in the housing at TDC. I looked at Touring's 1st pictures and one of the shots of TDC shows his rear balancer with a 'dot' that looks like the same location on the pulley.

I've had an issue with the balancer and the bolt locking it on a 94EX. There was a dot (frontal view) and a V-grove (back)on the outside diameter and every time i was aligning the V-grove to the 2 notches on the block (right around 2 o clock), the screw driver would not go completely as if it was touching a teeth or smth.
At this position however, the dot would be around 5 o clock. I found out when the screwdriver would completely go in, the marks didnt align at all so i just aligned the v-grove inside the 2 notches and slipped the belt. A friend of mine was making sure the other pulleys were aligned too. Does that bolt/screwdriver have to completely lock the balancer even though marks dont line up?

Car fires up right away but there's vibration felt throughout the cabin, especially when in Drive. Now this car snapped the belt at idle but i dont hear any valve tapping noises, its just the vibrations are a bit unbearable.
Did i mess smth up? I triple checked all the marks and they were spot on before putting back the covers. Even the crankshaft pulley notch lines up with the lower cover.
BTW, is there a "how to" procedure to correct ignition timing? Im trying to get every possible cause out of the way and according to my friend (owner), there was little vibration in gear even before the belt snapped but now it is amplified. I remember his mechanic changed the distributor once although it turned out the ECU was bad but have no clue if he did anything to time it correctly
Any insights?
Thanks, Rigs
Old 12-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow nice writeup touring. im about to change the timing belt on my 94 accord. i googled a writeup and came across this thread. thanks man
Old 12-17-2010, 04:17 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by RigsPGT
I've had an issue with the balancer and the bolt locking it on a 94EX. There was a dot (frontal view) and a V-grove (back)on the outside diameter and every time i was aligning the V-grove to the 2 notches on the block (right around 2 o clock), the screw driver would not go completely as if it was touching a teeth or smth.
At this position however, the dot would be around 5 o clock. I found out when the screwdriver would completely go in, the marks didnt align at all so i just aligned the v-grove inside the 2 notches and slipped the belt. A friend of mine was making sure the other pulleys were aligned too. Does that bolt/screwdriver have to completely lock the balancer even though marks dont line up?

Car fires up right away but there's vibration felt throughout the cabin, especially when in Drive. Now this car snapped the belt at idle but i dont hear any valve tapping noises, its just the vibrations are a bit unbearable.
Did i mess smth up? I triple checked all the marks and they were spot on before putting back the covers. Even the crankshaft pulley notch lines up with the lower cover.
personally, I've never aligned the rear balance shaft with the dot/groove. I haven't done one in a while, not since people have pointed out the marks on the gear and block, so at the time when I had done a few I had always used the screwdriver/bolt method and made sure it was locked into place. I know it would be a huge pain, but if you feel there is too much vibration I would consider pulling it back apart and aligning the rear balance shaft with a screwdriver or bolt and see if that helps the vibration.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:18 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by MECCJOO84
wow nice writeup touring. im about to change the timing belt on my 94 accord. i googled a writeup and came across this thread. thanks man
sweet! haha, thanks, hope everything goes well
Old 12-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well my water pump craped the other night and i plan on using this to take on the job i have changed civic timing belts and water pumps. Going to do the accord, Just want to say thanks for the step by step info with PICS!!!!!! will update how it has gose in a wk or 2, and will post here for questions thanks again!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced the timing belt on my f22a1 heres my problem.

[youtube]JPGf-B0biAo[/youtube]
Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by kill_n_itcb7
I replaced the timing belt on my f22a1 heres my problem.
Either you tensioned the belt incorrectly, or you have the incorrect belt. You should not run the engine with that much slop in the belt. This is an interference engine, meaning if the cam to crank timing is off enough the valves will hit the pistons, causing damage.

What happened when you set the tension on the belt?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

kill_n_itcb7,

WOAH. I just posted a thread about a similar problem, but the slack side is nowhere near as slack as yours. In fact, the slack side on my belt is about as tight (or slack!) as the tension side of the belt is on your car!

I would definitely not run it hard or at all until you get everything tensioned up properly.

One suggestion I have is to make sure the timing belt tensioner is hung up properly on that little hinge that sticks out (at about the 1 O'Clock position). There's a little **** that sticks out; the tensioner retainer (?) has a hole where the **** hangs or hinges onto. One source of information that I followed to do my timing belt job emphasized how important it is to make that that **** is in and everything. Obviously, if your tensioner is misplaced then you're not going to get proper tension on the belt.

And make sure your adjusting nut is back on and tight.

Otherwise, beyond these basics, I'm having the same problem as you.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for doing this write up.. Best one ive seen.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:07 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by hondaoverkill
Thanks for doing this write up.. Best one ive seen.
Thanks! Glad it's still helping people.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome write up i will be using this

Quick Reply: How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1