Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988-1991)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
explictness
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to explictness
Default Clutch Fluid, Transmission Fluid, and brake fluid; What kind do you use?

I just finished a engine swap and i need to buy all these to complete it, what kind of Oils do you use? (Trans, Clutch, and brake fluid) It was a straight stock swap, the car stores around my area they all don't really know that much. They say i can use 5W30 engine oil for my transmission, and i can use the brake fluid for the clutch. I highly doubt you can do that, and i don't want to take any chances.

So Basically i'm asking:

What type and brand do you all use?
DA SQuad #496
>>>> WTB DA http://images.honda-tech.com/set1/smile/emthup.gif <<<<
1991 Integra GS - SOLD
1988 Tomos TT Bullet - Winter project
1995 Suzuki Katana - Chick Magnet + 200% ***** http://images.honda-tech.com/set1/smile/emsmilep.gif
explictness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
70hphf
Garage is empty, add now

Trans- Honda manual trans fluid. Clutch- DOT 3 brake fluid. Same for the brakes. No specific manufacturer for the brake fluid, but I like to run Honda fluids.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
explictness
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (70hphf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70hphf
Trans- Honda manual trans fluid. Clutch- DOT 3 brake fluid. Same for the brakes. No specific manufacturer for the brake fluid, but I like to run Honda fluids.

Do i gota go to the dealership for em? if so i'll most likely get the trans fluid from their, and the clutch/brake fluid from autozone.

thanks Click the image to open in full size.
DA SQuad #496
1991 Integra GS - SOLD
1995 Suzuki Katana - Chick Magnet + 200% ***** http://images.honda-tech.com/set1/smile/emsmilep.gif
Old 02-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
91ed9
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to 91ed9
Default Re: (explictness)

you can get the clutch/brake fluid from dealer also but you can prob get reg DOT 3 from autozone cheaper get Honda MTF for the tranny or Pennzoil Syncromesh (gm syncro) either will work best Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
pr3d
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

but wait...what "stock" tranny are you using in a 91 crx which requires a "clutch" slave cylinder fluid? you should have a normal cable actuate clutch pressure plate which doesn't require hydraulic assistance, nor do any of our crx's come equipped with any slave cylinders.

Also, for your tranny fluid, this has been discussed, debated way too many times. But just to make it easier for you. Get either honda MTF from your dealer or any synchromesh tranny fluid such as GM Synchromesh, Pennzoil. There are plenty to choose from.
pr3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
70hphf
Garage is empty, add now

As far as I know, you can only get honda fluids from a honda/acura dealer.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
Dave_Darling
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Clutch Fluid, Transmission Fluid, and brake fluid; What kind do you use? (explictness)

My preferences:

Transmission: 10W40 motor oil, just like the owner's manual calls for.
Clutch: None, as my car has a cable clutch.
Brake: Castrol GT LMA, ATE Super Blue, ATE Typ 200. The blue stuff is nice because I can tell when my old fluid is completely flushed out by the color of what comes out the bleeders.

It sounds like you have a non-stock transmission; it might be a good idea to check the owner's manual for whatever car your trans came out of. Many Hondas are spec'ed to use motor oil in their transmissions.

--DD
Old 02-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
EF_9
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)
n0t0riu0s0uljur
Send a message via AIM to EF_9

transmission: the lucas oil for trannys or gm synchromesh
clutch(hydro): cheap brake fluid
brake:cheap brake fluid
Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
explictness
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Clutch Fluid, Transmission Fluid, and brake fluid; What kind do you use? (Dave_Darling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Darling
My preferences:

Transmission: 10W40 motor oil, just like the owner's manual calls for.
Clutch: None, as my car has a cable clutch.
Brake: Castrol GT LMA, ATE Super Blue, ATE Typ 200. The blue stuff is nice because I can tell when my old fluid is completely flushed out by the color of what comes out the bleeders.

It sounds like you have a non-stock transmission; it might be a good idea to check the owner's manual for whatever car your trans came out of. Many Hondas are spec'ed to use motor oil in their transmissions.

--DD

The autozone in my area have nothing there, i think i'll go to wallmart to get the brake/clutch fluid, 3Dot i guess.For the MTF fluid i'll just go to a honda dealer that is close by and just buy it from their this time, then when i get enough time to read more and stuff then i'll swing over to the syntech stuff. i'm finding it hard to retain and remember any information about my crx because of my 240 and school. haha thanks alot for the info guys Click the image to open in full size.
DA SQuad #496
1991 Integra GS - SOLD

submit to reddit

Tags
10w40, 1995, brake, castrol, clutch, fluid, gt, honda, katana, lma, lx, suzuki, targa, tomos, tranny, transmission