Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

94 Integra ls/v overheated... Engine wasted?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Integra ls/v overheated... Engine wasted?

Have a b20/v engine swapped 94 integra. Stock b16 head, 11.5 rs machine pistons b20 block. Radiator hose started leak while driving 70mph on high way, and noticed at this time that the temp gauge was rapidly climbing. Immediately turned on heater full blast, but didn't stop rising temp. Shut off car when temp was at 3/4ish temp. Fixed leak, car starts and runs fine, temp stays around 3/8. Want to know if it reaching 3/4 temp for about 4 seconds ruined anything. What symptoms/problems should i be looking for, etc?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

has it started smoking yet?

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 11-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Integra ls/v overheated... Engine wasted?

If it was in good running order prior to overheating, and it was ran hot only for a very short time, your engine should be ok. Did the engine start to lose power, knock, or have any driveability issues while overheating? Make sure there are no pockets of air in the cooling system, keep an eye on your coolant level in the reservoir. The reservoir level will probably drop a little after driving it to full operating temp, and letting it cool down a couple of times. Just drive it normally, and monitor your coolant level.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had taken my foot off the pedal when it rose past half temperature. No sounds that i recall, no noticeable hit in power, like i said when it rapidly passed 3/4, i just panicked and immediately turned key to shut off.Coasted till i could exit the highway and pulled off to the side.
Fixed leak, temporarily refilled with spring water. Started up (discussed later), and was able to drive 10 highway minutes to destination with temp at about 3/8.

When i started it up, it had a slight hiccup in the rpm, where it went from 0 to about 1.5 (what it usually does oncold) to 2k just for a second. On the 10 minute drive after the incident, no noticeable sounds or power loss was noticed.

I know it doesn't seem like anything is wrong, but i am not too car versed, and have spent a lot on this engine. Don't want to be driving it if i shouldn't be.

no smoke coming from engine bay, have not checked exhaust for smoke, will/can tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Started car up fine. only out of place sound i noticed was the distributor was rattling a little bit. Don't know if that is normal, as i don't recall if it did that before or not. No smoke from the bay or exhaust. Checked for smoke from idle up to 2.5k rpms.

The cap that replaced is still leaking. Not as bad as before, but it was dripping a bit when i checked after driving highway for a bit. After it stopped dripping, checked radiator fluid levels, and no noticeable change. Drove some city miles, checked the cap again, it wasn't dripping at all. Not really sure if there is still a problem or not... I am not talking about the radiator cap, there is a nozzle on the back of my block just above where the bottom radiator hose connects (i think its right above the thermostat cover), and there was a small cap on it. This cap was cracked, and completely fell apart. That is the cap i am taking about. It was like a small by pass cap or something.

The one i replaced it with is a heater core by pass cap, like 3/8 size or something. When it was dripping, it was coming out of the bottom like it wasn't tight enough or something, but the clamp is on pretty dam tight.

Last edited by aeon117; 11-23-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:41 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It is very unlikely you did any damage to the engine.

If it was me, and I get **** about stuff like this, I would drain the oil, inspect it for debris, metal shavings/flakes, fill with cheap oil, get that up to running temp, drain it, replace the oil filter and fill with your prefered brand/weight of oil, can't hurt anyway.

A compression test would not hurt either. 94
Old 11-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, got pictures for reference. From research, it looks like the nozzle that was capped off is originally supposed to hose to the throttle body, which hoses to the IACV, based on this diagram:

I looked at my throttle body, and the nozzle in question was hosed to the heater inlet listed in this diagram:

So I capped the heater inlet hose, and routed the leaking nozzle to the throttle body. Is this ok to do? What is originally supposed to go to the heater inlet hose/nozzle?

Centered in the picture, on the right most end of the intake manifold:
The top/larger hose is ran straight to the thermostat housing, and the one literally right below it was the capped nozzle in question that had a cracked cap, and leaked all my fluids. I just now re-ran it to the throttle body (pictured below)

Bottom of the throttle body, right most hose:
The newly ran hose (from the original problematic capped nozzle) is now ran to this nozzle.
This nozzle under the throttle body was originally ran to the heater inlet hose (pictured below)

Centered in the picture, Black cap:
The original hose from the bottom/right most throttle body nozzle was ran to what is now capped off in this picture. It is a nozzle right off where the upper radiator hose connects to the head.
I could not completely tell what exactly this nozzle is supposed to connect to. The closest I could find is that it is a breather hose for the heater system?

Is what I've done good to go? (capped heater inlet, ran small intake manifold nozzle to throttle body)

Originally Posted by fcm
It is very unlikely you did any damage to the engine.

If it was me, and I get **** about stuff like this, I would drain the oil, inspect it for debris, metal shavings/flakes, fill with cheap oil, get that up to running temp, drain it, replace the oil filter and fill with your prefered brand/weight of oil, can't hurt anyway.

A compression test would not hurt either. 94

About time to change oil, so might as well do this. Don't have anything to test compression with. Short on $$$ at the moment, too