Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

DIY Head Unit Install - Void Warranty???

Old 12-04-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Head Unit Install - Void Warranty???

I am installing a after market Pioneer head unit into my 06 Si. Will this void my warranty, considering I have to splice wires from the current factory harness and connect them to my amp bypass adapter? Thanks in advance
Old 12-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only way it will void your warranty is if something shorts out or catches fire, and even in that case, it only voids whatever is damaged due to your modifications.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:53 PM

Use the harnesses instead. Metra 70-1722, and amp bypass 70-1727. That way going back to factory is alot easier.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (JC06nbpSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JC06nbpSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use the harnesses instead. Metra 70-1722, and amp bypass 70-1727. That way going back to factory is alot easier.</TD></TR></TABLE>
serious go buy the harness will be much more cleaner install.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:04 AM

Default Re: (mInI m3)

Well, here's what I have. I ordered it online and it came with the 70-1727 amp bypass harness. However, the tech help guy from where I bought it told me to connnect the ground and power wires, I would have to tap into the factory wires and splice them to the new receiver harness. The Amp Bypass harness only covers speaker wires. I will also temporarily lose use of my factory supplies sub, since my deck won't power it.

Is this correct. Do I have to splice the factory wires for power, ground, etc? Any help would be great. I don't want to mess up my factory wires if I don't have to. Thanks in advance
Old 12-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzag11)

if you do need to splice into the wires...get the connector harness ans splice into that.. i will NEVER cut the harness
Old 12-05-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Re: (SYTFU Tommy.)

Just so i have this straight.......what is the brand + part number for the adapter/harness that will allow me to get ground and power to my receiver without splicing the factory wires? I would have figured the guys at Crutchfield would have told me about this harness, but I guess not.

Also, can I get this at any Car Audio installation place? I haven't had radio/CD in my car for a few days now and it sucks. I want to finish this ASAP. Thanks
Old 12-05-2006, 03:08 PM

So, I think I found the right adapter for the head unit install without having to splice the factory wires. Thanks for all the help

One more question. Where can I find in depth info on the stock audio system in the 06 Si? Like speaker, sub, and amp wattages? Thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 10:29 AM

Heres a pic from when i bypassed the factory amp, when you do this you will lose the sub, but if your adding aftermarket its going to be better anyway. Just dont cut any factory wiring, no need for it at all.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:23 PM

That eases my mind, because that's exactly how mine looks. Did you use the Metra 70-1722 wiring harness to connect ground and power to your receiver? The bypass only covers speaker wires.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JC06nbpSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use the harnesses instead. Metra 70-1722, and amp bypass 70-1727. That way going back to factory is alot easier.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Both
Old 12-21-2006, 06:38 AM

Hey uh.... had a question......... where the hell does the amp bypass harness plug into, and where do the wires on the other end go to... I know this sounds fairly layman... but I'm confused...
Old 12-21-2006, 06:39 AM

Aftermarket head unit BTW.... does it splice into the wiring harness????
Old 12-21-2006, 07:00 AM

Come on... anybody?? It's a bit time sensative.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (elklodgeezra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elklodgeezra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey uh.... had a question......... where the hell does the amp bypass harness plug into, and where do the wires on the other end go to... I know this sounds fairly layman... but I'm confused...</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.the12volt.com
Old 12-21-2006, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the attempt, but they didn't help at all. The problem I think I'm running into is the confusion between the wiring harness and the amp bypass..... the wiring harness includes wires for the speakers, but so does the amp bypass.... I think what needs to happen is the wires on the amp bypass for the speakers need to connect to the head units wiring for the speakers.... and the wiring harness wiring for the speakers needs to be eliminated...... that make sense???
Old 12-21-2006, 08:45 AM

What type of head unit.....make, model, etc?

Hard to explain, but since the system in the Si comes with 7 speakers, you are going to have to twist the Left Front tweeter and door speaker wires together FROM THE AMP BYPASS HARNESS....then connect them with the appropriate wire on the receiver wiring harness. Same with the Right Front side. The rear speakers are self explanatory. The amp bypass will take the sub out of the system. Unless you have another amp to run the sub, it is going to be lonely for a while.

After you get done connecting all the wires together, unplug the factory harness from the amp down by the shifter (below dash, in front of the shifter towards the engine....***SEE PICTURE IN PREVIOUS POST). Plug the factory harness into the amp bypass and string the wires up through the dash to plug into your receiver.

**MAKE SURE ANY UNUSED WIRES ARE CAPPED OFF SO THEY CAN'T SHORT OUT AND ALSO DISCONNECT NEGATIVE (-) BATTERY TERMINAL BEFORE YOU START

Does this help?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:54 AM

One more thing. You are going to need two different harness adapters.

1) Amp Bypass (which you already have)
2) Harness to get ground and power to the head unit. (This one is pretty cheap, but you may have to special order it. Most stores don't carry it yet)

I STRONGLY advise NOT cutting into any factory harnesses.

Refer to the previous posts for part numbers, etc. I learned a lot from the people on this forum
Old 12-21-2006, 08:59 AM

Yeah I'm getting it, so then we need to use the amp bypass as speaker connections and the wiring harness for the power right? Use them both to connect to the harness on the back of the stereo..... oh and the head unit is in my signature... the dual xdvd8181.... it's hot sh*t
Old 12-21-2006, 08:59 AM

And I have both, wiring harness and amp bypass.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:02 AM

I just want to explain this to myself and make sure I got it..... I have a wiring harness that is coming out of the back of my head unit..... I also have a wiring harness that is connecting the headunit harness to the stock harness.... and I have the amp bypass harness..... the amp bypass harness is going to connect the speakers by connecting directly to the harness on the back of my head unit... and the wiring harness that's connecting my head unit and the factory harness is going to connect power and ground... and on that same harness the speaker connections are just eliminated..... yes/or no?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:30 AM

I think that sounds right. Are you putting everything together right away? (amp, subs, etc). Do you have the ability to take any pics and post them? It always helps to see how your setup looks when people are giving advice to you.

Good Luck!
Old 12-21-2006, 09:35 AM

I just took a look at pics of your HU online. Very Nice. I haven never installed a head unit with screen. don't know if the setup is different or not. So, if you havent already, ask around.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:45 AM

No the setup isn't that different, the only thing is that it requires a wire ran to the parking brake light..... to make sure that I don't watch dvd's while driving, but I plan to bypass that and hook that wire to like the running lights or something so that it see's a constant stream of power making it think the brakes always on. But yeah I'll take pictures while I'm doing it and I am doing everything at once.... amp, subs, head unit.... I'll most likely post them up Saturday... or Monday....
Old 12-21-2006, 09:49 AM

Good luck man. I am planning on adding upgraded components, amps, and sub here in the next couple months. If you wouldn't mind, send me pics of how you lay your wires for you amp, and your sub setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Head Unit Install - Void Warranty???