Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

No hydraulic clutch pressure...no visible leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No hydraulic clutch pressure...no visible leaks

Sorry about the long post, but I wanted to give a detailed history of the problems I've had, and the parts used and replaced. Thanks for taking the time to read!

I have an ACT XT pressure plate with a Competition sprung 6 puck disc. Several months ago it started to become difficult to get into reverse, (yes, I know to put it in first before reverse) and actually ground 4th a couple times, which never happened in the past. The slave cylinder was leaking, so both the master and slave were replaced and new Motul fluid was used. It seemed better, but something still wasn't right. A week or so later, the car wouldn't start sometimes (not turn over) until one day I had to kick like Fred Flintstone in a level Arby's parking lot then throw it into gear and drive home. I thought for sure there was something wrong with the clutch switch that won't allow you to start the car unless the clutch is depressed, so the next day I started my car by rolling backward down my driveway and took it to a local mechanic I know. I wanted him to bypass the switch so I could start the car, but the problem turned out to be a bad weld on the clutch pedal itself. I watched as he wiggled it and it broke off in his hand! After this was replaced, shifting has been fantastic, with the exception of troublesome reverse. Sometimes it works well, other times I have to go clutch in, 2nd, clutch out, in, 2nd again, then reverse. Other times I need to move forward a bit and it's still a bitch.

Well, tonight I stopped at the bottom of my driveway to wait for the garage door to open. Put it in first, the car jerked and I stalled it. Started again, jerked, stalled. The 3rd time, started, but wouldn't go into any gear. The pedal was stuck to the floor. I pumped it several times (had to lift the pedal), and it felt the same way it does when you bleed the clutch. There's no leak that I can see near the master or slave. The fluid level hasn't dropped, at least not that I can see. What do you guys think the problem is?
Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No hydraulic clutch pressure...no visible leaks (Sprockets)

Thanks for all the opinions, lol. It turned out to be what I was hoping it wouldn't be, a broken clutch fork. As soon as they got it up on the lift and pulled back the boot from the slave cylinder, fluid poured out. Although I enjoyed the high pedal effort of the ACT, I can only assume that this was the cause of the premature failure of these parts.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: No hydraulic clutch pressure...no visible leaks (Sprockets)

Hi I am having the same problem in my Prelude. I dont know much about cars but what is a clutch fork and how do i fix it.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No hydraulic clutch pressure...no visible leaks (VTEC97LUDE)

You have to pull the transmission to replace it. #7 in the first pic is the slave cylinder, which moves #2, the fork and #1, throwout bearing, to engage and disengage the clutch.

You might not have the same problem. Usually it's the master or slave cylinder, or possibly a leak.