Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Clutch fork / Slave cylinder / clutch install question. PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch fork / Slave cylinder / clutch install question. PLEASE HELP!

Finished a clutch install with a buddy of mine, and trying to determine what the problem is now. Here are the issues that I need help diagnosing:

* Clutch fork has way too much play. You can swing it left and right freely. It feels like it never presses against the pressure plate to disengage the clutch. Almost as if it needs another 1/2 inch of movement to press the pressure plate. From my knowledge, this should feel pretty solid in order for the slave cylinder to press against.

* Car will not start. I can hear the starter turning the flywheel but will not turn over.

* Pedal pressure is extremely soft. Nowhere close to even stock. When looking at the slave cylinder, the rod and boot almost look completely extended out, instead of compressed when the clutch pedal is not being pressed. the full range of motion is no more than a quarter of an inch from left to right.

The clutch is an OEM ITR kit, on a 97 Integra GSR. Slave and master cylinders are fairly new and show no signs of leaking. Trans fluid is full and new. Pilot and throwout bearings are new and spin freely. Input shaft was lubed using Honda High Temp Grease.

Can anyone shine some light on this situation?? All help is appreciated greatly.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bleed the clutch
Old 11-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nors)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bleed the clutch</TD></TR></TABLE>

I forgot to add - Its been bled already. 3-4 times. Its not as simple as that.

When the slave cylinder is mounted onto this tranny, the clutch fork is already 75% into its field of motion. So even bleeding the clutch will not do more than clear the system of air. Even then, there is no pressure exerting from the clutch fork onto the slave to push the fluid/air out when opening the valve.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch fork / Slave cylinder / clutch install question. PLEASE HELP! (EnjoyTheRideDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

* Car will not start. I can hear the starter turning the flywheel but will not turn over.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lets start here. If the flywheel is turning over, so is the motor (unless you pulled the flywheel off and forgot to bolt it back to the crank. Thus, Im lost when you say that the starter is turning the flywheel but wont turn over. If the starter is turning the flywheel, then it is turning. So, you need to inspect the starter assembly, make sure its bolted flush to the tranny housing. Then turn the motor over by hand (make sure it turns). Then double check and see if the motor is turning over when you try to crank it (btw, make sure to take the car out of gear).

Thus, is the motor turning over when you try to crank it? If not, inspect the starter.

On another note, the pedal is soft because the TO fork/bearing isnt hitting the clutch (which is what provides resistance to the pedal). Thus, the soft pedal is the least of your problems currently. Double check to make sure the fork is installed on the ball correctly and get back to us.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch fork / Slave cylinder / clutch install question. PLEASE HELP! (95 integra)

Thanks 95 Integra. Here's my reply.
[QUOTE=95 integra]
Lets start here. If the flywheel is turning over, so is the motor (unless you pulled the flywheel off and forgot to bolt it back to the crank. Thus, Im lost when you say that the starter is turning the flywheel but wont turn over. If the starter is turning the flywheel, then it is turning. So, you need to inspect the starter assembly, make sure its bolted flush to the tranny housing. Then turn the motor over by hand (make sure it turns). Then double check and see if the motor is turning over when you try to crank it (btw, make sure to take the car out of gear).

Thus, is the motor turning over when you try to crank it? If not, inspect the starter.

The motor is turning over, but not starting up. I'm assuming its due to the fact the clutch is not disengaging. But when starting up the car, the starter spins, the motor as well, and you hear the sound of air being pumped out the exhaust. That sound is exactly the same as if you were to turn the motor by hand without the transmission and clutch being attached.

On another note, the pedal is soft because the TO fork/bearing isnt hitting the clutch (which is what provides resistance to the pedal). Thus, the soft pedal is the least of your problems currently. Double check to make sure the fork is installed on the ball correctly and get back to us.

about 2 hours away from pulling off the trans again. The fork is on the ball, just cant be sure if its on properly until i pull it off.

Is there any chance the clutch disc is put on backwards?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch fork / Slave cylinder / clutch install question. PLEASE HELP! (EnjoyTheRideDC2)

With the car in neutral, it "should" still crank up....my remote start cranks the car with the clutch out and the car in neutral.

It is possible to install the disc wrong and I believe the splines would hit the flywheel vs the disc material, thus giving the plate extra room bewteen the flywheel and pressure plate, which would make the pressure "fingers" come inward....giving the clutch fork extra room. Could be your problem, do a search and see what you come up with.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch fork / Slave cylinder / clutch install question. PLEASE HELP! (95 integra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 integra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With the car in neutral, it "should" still crank up....my remote start cranks the car with the clutch out and the car in neutral.

It is possible to install the disc wrong and I believe the splines would hit the flywheel vs the disc material, thus giving the plate extra room bewteen the flywheel and pressure plate, which would make the pressure "fingers" come inward....giving the clutch fork extra room. Could be your problem, do a search and see what you come up with.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very good point on the start up issue. I'll come back in a bit with my findings.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Very good point on the start up issue. I'll come back in a bit with my findings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hope everything goes well.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you were tightening the Pressure Plate to the Flywheel did the splines begin to move outward away from the engine? Also Did you properly mount the throwout bearing? I had a difficult time putting mine back in my Civic, which is probably the same thing with the integra.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Clutch fork / Slave cylinder / clutch install question. PLEASE HELP! (Sweetsystem)

Check the slave cylinder. Seems like all the clutch/play issues I've had with mine were resolved by a new slave cylinder.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Clutch fork / Slave cylinder / clutch install question. PLEASE HELP! (dynamo)

I have a similar problem with my clutch fork. Lots of play and it doesn't seem to be engaging the clutch. Did you figure out what was wrong with yours?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch fork / Slave cylinder / clutch install question. PLEASE HELP!

i know this is an old post but iam having the same problem he had, and also did all the same steps he did and now im about to take down the tranny again, but before i do how did you solve your problem or anybody out there that has had a similar problem
Old 11-14-2013, 05:19 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Clutch fork / Slave cylinder / clutch install question. PLEASE HELP!

Assuming you guys put the car together correctly AND bled it correctly....you can remedy this by adjusting the master cylinder preload.

-Get under the dash and look for the 12mm nut behind the clutch pedal
-As you're looking at it (from in FRONT of the dash), turn the wrench clockwise. The nut will loosen. Back it off a few threads.
-Grab the rod that the nut sits on NOT WITH ANY TOOLS!!but with your fingers. Turn it clockwise to reduce pedal free play until you get about 6-12mm (1/4 to 1/2") pedal free play. If you go too far, obviously turn the rod the other way to gain free play. Right now it seems you have too much free play.

Free play is the travel amount where the pedal is doing nothing. You NEED a little free play to make sure the clutch isn't always being pushed on.

Give that a shot. I'm sure there are tons of threads with pics on how to adjust a hydraulic clutch. Pics help.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:23 AM

Although, from what you're saying, there's a good chance there's something wrong with the install or with the parts.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:27 AM

As far as the car not starting....there's something else going on. Did you guys disturb the ground on the thermostat housing?
Old 11-14-2013, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
As far as the car not starting....there's something else going on. Did you guys disturb the ground on the thermostat housing?
My cAr does start and I can get it into gear but it just won't move anywhere it just revs and it sounds like a Chirp sound coming from the clutch, so this is what happened to me when I was done installing my clutch the car did move I took it for a test drive down the street but my pedal was extremely soft like before I replaced the clutch so I also replaced the master and slave and bleed it a couple times when I was coming bak it sound like something snapped lose but and the car just didn't wanna move it's just revved, so now I'm thinking could the clutch fork have gotten lose from where it sits or I installed the clutch wrong???
Old 11-14-2013, 06:30 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That was the OPs car not the T/U who bumped an old dead tread, [2006] instead of starting his own. 94
Old 11-14-2013, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by miguelfox91
My cAr does start and I can get it into gear but it just won't move anywhere it just revs and it sounds like a Chirp sound coming from the clutch, so this is what happened to me when I was done installing my clutch the car did move I took it for a test drive down the street but my pedal was extremely soft like before I replaced the clutch so I also replaced the master and slave and bleed it a couple times when I was coming bak it sound like something snapped lose but and the car just didn't wanna move it's just revved, so now I'm thinking could the clutch fork have gotten lose from where it sits or I installed the clutch wrong???
will the car go into gear while it's on or just when it's off?

A lot of people don't realize that the hydraulic system (master, slave, lines, fluid, pedal) do NOT engage the clutch. The clutch springs engage the clutch. The hydraulic system DISengages it when you push the pedal. If you're having problems with engagement or getting the car to move, you probably didn't do the install correctly or you have faulty parts in the clutch or trans.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

will the car go into gear while it's on or just when it's off?

A lot of people don't realize that the hydraulic system (master, slave, lines, fluid, pedal) do NOT engage the clutch. The clutch springs engage the clutch. The hydraulic system DISengages it when you push the pedal. If you're having problems with engagement or getting the car to move, you probably didn't do the install correctly or you have faulty parts in the clutch or trans.
My car does turn on and it goes into gear on Nd off but it just won't move anymore, but when I put it in reverse a chrisp noise comes from the clutch/ trans housing , I will be taking the tarns down this Saturday and take some pics and to show u guys how it looks down there....
Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just replaced my clutch my car was stil on jack stands axels not in no tranny fluid yet I cranked car for 15 seconds and could shift into gear without clutch why? Slave needs to be bled more
Old 11-18-2013, 10:33 AM

^??