Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Ebay Audio Equipment, Why So Cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Audio Equipment, Why So Cheap?

Why are speakers and other audio equipment so cheap on ebay compared to best buy and msrp on speaker makers sites? like im noticing hundreds of dollars worth of difference on brand new equipment. what is the reason for this huge price difference? anyone bought audio equipment on ebay before? thanks
Old 10-04-2006, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it's really brand new? Alot of stuff is refurb, and alot of people sell things making very little profit...

Best Buy and other brick and mortar stores have HUGE overheads... Pay for employees, utilities, etc, so they must mark up products to make a profit. eBay sellers don't have that overhead, so they sell cheap and rely on volume selling to make their money.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (B18C_EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Best Buy and other brick and mortar stores have HUGE overheads... Pay for employees, utilities, etc, so they must mark up products to make a profit. eBay sellers don't have that overhead, so they sell cheap and rely on volume selling to make their money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (B18C_EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you sure it's really brand new? Alot of stuff is refurb, and alot of people sell things making very little profit...

Best Buy and other brick and mortar stores have HUGE overheads... Pay for employees, utilities, etc, so they must mark up products to make a profit. eBay sellers don't have that overhead, so they sell cheap and rely on volume selling to make their money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto that, Some stuff comes with no warrenty, people are not dealers for the stuff they sell, some of it is fake. Sometimes when you buy something it doesn't even work when i gets to you. Some stuff might even be stolen. But you can come across some good deal thou.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Ebay Audio Equipment, Why So Cheap? (CoolRedXylophone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoolRedXylophone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why are speakers and other audio equipment so cheap on ebay compared to best buy and msrp on speaker makers sites? like im noticing hundreds of dollars worth of difference on brand new equipment. what is the reason for this huge price difference? anyone bought audio equipment on ebay before? thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought before and never had a problem. If it states "brand new", then it's brand new and always came in original packaging. Why it's so cheap? Maybe because audio equipment is highly marked up by local dealers. There is more competition on ebay, hence they have to mark it up less.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ditto that, Some stuff comes with no warrenty, people are not dealers for the stuff they sell, some of it is fake. Sometimes when you buy something it doesn't even work when i gets to you. Some stuff might even be stolen. But you can come across some good deal thou. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i figured it could be stolen, fake, broken ect but if you buy from someone with a really good rating then you most likely will get the real thing. i guess they just buy wholesale and dont have to mark it up too much
Old 10-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CoolRedXylophone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoolRedXylophone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah i figured it could be stolen, fake, broken ect but if you buy from someone with a really good rating then you most likely will get the real thing. i guess they just buy wholesale and dont have to mark it up too much</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true, some of these people buy from a local dealer. The local dealer gets a better deal to buy 1k units then he would buy say 10 units from his dealer. So the prices go down on the wholesale cost. But this is when map comes into play. This is the set price on the cheapest he can sell it for retail. Now the local dealer skimmed a lil off the top and put some change in his pocket. Not caring were the product ended up at. Now the other guy got what he needed and will put it on flea-bay and make a lil profit. Thats why the prices are so low. Below cost on most. And come with no maufactor warrenty. Because the ebay seller is not really a dealer at all. He is going thru a dealer. Most companies like "mtx" and other will not warrenty any products sold on ebay. And they can track were the product is coming from thru serial numbers. If the serial numbers don't match the store that you bought it from your sol. Most ebay sellers take the serial numbers off. Get it?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:09 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not true, some of these people buy from a local dealer. The local dealer gets a better deal to buy 1k units then he would buy say 10 units from his dealer. So the prices go down on the wholesale cost. But this is when map comes into play. This is the set price on the cheapest he can sell it for retail. Now the local dealer skimmed a lil off the top and put some change in his pocket. Not caring were the product ended up at. Now the other guy got what he needed and will put it on flea-bay and make a lil profit. Thats why the prices are so low. Below cost on most. And come with no maufactor warrenty. Because the ebay seller is not really a dealer at all. He is going thru a dealer. Most companies like "mtx" and other will not warrenty any products sold on ebay. And they can track were the product is coming from thru serial numbers. If the serial numbers don't match the store that you bought it from your sol. Most ebay sellers take the serial numbers off. Get it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

This story is damn close - at least to my knowledge. Here's how I understand it...

Just to be a dealer of let's say JL or Alpine, you need to place a large order up front - let's say $10k worth of gear just for simplicity sake. And you have to continue to make these purchases.

So what happens if you have a slow month? Well, we have options:
1. carry inventory, hope things get better
2. lose your dealer status
3. get rid of it somehow

Numbers 1 and 2 are generally not options for smaller shops. So they look for an outlet to get rid of the product. Here's where eBay comes in. Now MAP is not the lowest you can sell it for. You can sell it for a dollar if you are in the business of losing money or you like charity work. MAP is the Minimum Advertised Price - the lowest you can print a price for - ever go to a site and see "add to cart to see price" - often that's a closeout item and they are below MAP.

Now, I sell all my gear to a liquidator (or I liquidate it myself). I can do this for just over cost and still be fine - I keep up my sales numbers. This is how many items become "grey market" The liquidator either drop ships this stuff, or keeps a bit of it on hand. They charge a ton for shipping - like 35-40 a product and this is where a lot of profit comes from - personally, I hate this about ebay. They don't sweat any issues b/c they don't offer warranty.

All is fine and dandy until a product goes back in for warranty. If it's a manufacturer who tracks serial numbers closely - think JL - then if it goes back to the mfg with a different receipt - the mfg gets cranky. If they can trace the serial back to your shop and it wasn't sold at the retail level, then you get in trouble - this is why many products sold on the bay have either:
a) no warranty
b) no serial numbers

So, all in all, the following happens:
1. local b&m shops can't compete with online sales
2. local b&m shops must make money on installation, not product
3. customers who want the best price play roulette with no warranty support
4. people who shouldn't install gear - do, it breaks as a result and that either puts them out of pocket, or mfg's fix grey market gear - passing the buck to us
5. the street value of car audio pieces has decreased

none of it is really good, and the industry is in a tough position....
Old 10-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rcurley55)

^^^^^ well put. ... But yes they do put a limit on the lowest price that you can sell stuff for. When he z1 came out they were serious about it to. My rep gave me a deal and told me to stick to it. The buy-in is real steep on certaint people. I kind of slide in for being in the game for awhile. I feel sorry for some shops. Yes To get certaint prices you do have to move so many units a month. CC and bb are on top. I hope many of the big companies try to put a stop to it. And follow suit like mtx. This will bring more business back to the store fronts. Or all of the ebayer's act like real business and become venders like the rest of us.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ Thats basically how its done. Sad but true. And with "flea-Bay's" pricing
being so rediculiously low,customers think we are just raping them at the register.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (audioroach)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by audioroach &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^ Thats basically how its done. Sad but true. And with "flea-Bay's" pricing
being so rediculiously low,customers think we are just raping them at the register.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was going to post the same thing. I have customers say I can get it cheaper on flea-bay. I tell them go ahead, don't blame me if anything goes wrong with it. Hell I still waiting on a member on here to bring me back his car so I can finish his alarm . This is the third time the brain went out. There supposes to be compustar dealers, there giving him the run around. Its been a month.
Local dealer, swap brain and be on your way.

I think I going to charge more for ebay items for install. repeat work sucks
Old 10-04-2006, 03:40 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to agree with most of the above, also add that some product on eBay is new and in it's original packaging because it is "salvage" I will use Compustar as an example, Compustar builds 1000s of say 2W900FM-AS alarm starters, they find a "glitch" in one of the runs, say 100 units have a wrong diode or cap installed, they will pull the whole run, [100 units] and sell them for salvage, it's cheaper for them to do that then repair the units, they are sold at below wholesale, surprise someone is selling Compustar 2W900FM-AS's on eBay at cost and still making money because his whorehouse is his basement or garage he has no employees to pay, you pay shipping, and there is no manufacturers warranty, you do get what you pay for. 94
Old 10-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fcm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have to agree with most of the above, also add that some product on eBay is new and in it's original packaging because it is "salvage" I will use Compustar as an example, Compustar builds 1000s of say 2W900FM-AS alarm starters, they find a "glitch" in one of the runs, say 100 units have a wrong diode or cap installed, they will pull the whole run, [100 units] and sell them for salvage, it's cheaper for them to do that then repair the units, they are sold at below wholesale, surprise someone is selling Compustar 2W900FM-AS's on eBay at cost and still making money because his whorehouse is his basement or garage he has no employees to pay, you pay shipping, and there is no manufacturers warranty, you do get what you pay for. 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought they would destory most of the units. I know some leak, but to sell them is straight out stupied.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:46 PM
New User

I think if you take a subwoofer - tell a customer that wants to compare to ebay what happens if it blows - two options:

1. buy authorized, you don't pay for a thing if it blows, no uninstallation costs, maybe shipping there, but no price to fix

2. buy unauthorized, pay for uninstallation, pay for recone, pay for installation, and shipping both ways...

if that happens, your ebay discount just vanished...
Old 10-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try telling that to odessa, lol. Thats the same way I put it. most agreee with me. But you got some who are hard headed
Old 10-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think I going to charge more for ebay items for install. repeat work sucks </TD></TR></TABLE>

You should, we do. 1.5x the normal rate seems to suffice IF my installers are even willing to install it. Most of them won't because they don't like t-shooting gear that doesn't work
Old 10-04-2006, 04:30 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought they would destory most of the units. I know some leak, but to sell them is straight out stupied. </TD></TR></TABLE> They do now, the way I understand it is, Compustar now buys back any and all recalled units from the distributor, [Staub up here] I think they got stung when they sold for savage a bunch of 2WSS-AS's, am hearing about problems with them, even installed a few, and are still found on eBay, even though it's a discoed unit... http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPUSTAR-...wItem
Here is what Compustar has to say about it... http://www.compustar.com/internet_sales.htm 94
Old 10-04-2006, 04:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try telling that to odessa, lol. Thats the same way I put it. most agreee with me. But you got some who are hard headed </TD></TR></TABLE>

The way I put it, you can go ahead and blow a sub, then go buy another one and you still have spent less or equal $ to one "authorized" sub. Chances of it blowing are by far less than it not blowing. This is my way of buying stuff. If someone wants to go against the odds and pay MORE, then you're welcome.

And about Compustar. I can't even buy it from "authorized" without having it installed by the dealer. I want to install it myself. How can I buy? That's right, I go to ebay.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Odessa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Odessa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The way I put it, you can go ahead and blow a sub, then go buy another one and you still have spent less or equal $ to one "authorized" sub. Chances of it blowing are by far less than it not blowing. This is my way of buying stuff. If someone wants to go against the odds and pay MORE, then you're welcome.

And about Compustar. I can't even buy it from "authorized" without having it installed by the dealer. I want to install it myself. How can I buy? That's right, I go to ebay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I sell them on my website. And I will let the customer install it themselves. And still let them have there warrenty. I'll even go as far as paying for shipping back if they pay to ship back the brain But thats me.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Odessa)

When you buy equipment from ebay it's a risk you take. Personally I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to buy equipment from an authorized dealer. If you buy equipment from ebay or any other unauthorized dealer for that matter and install it in your own car then it is your own problem, the issue arises when you profit off that equipment by selling it to a customer(if you are an installer) and it goes bad. Then what do you do? The customer bought the equipment from you and you got it from ebay, customer is pissed because they spent their hard earned money and it went bad. So whos pocket does the money to fix it come out of? Then again I understand that there are people who don't care about their customers or take pride in theoir work. And by no means is this a shot at anyone who buys from ebay. Just think about this: trying to save a few bucks can ending up costing you more than you should have originally spent.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^^^ well put. ... But yes they do put a limit on the lowest price that you can sell stuff for. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its illegal for any company to control how much another company sells their product for.

They can however allow you not to use there product literature.

If you created you own and took your own pictures of the product you could sell for whatever you wanted to.

Its the companies way of "trying" to control prices.

Personally if I was a small shop I would try to band together with shops that are not in my local area. (obviously your not going to want your competitor involved)The company supplying the money should be the one supplying the demands not the company selling the product. Ultimatley cash is what everyone wants.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Odessa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And about Compustar. I can't even buy it from "authorized" without having it installed by the dealer. I want to install it myself. How can I buy? That's right, I go to ebay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Saddly I have to agree. Exspecially on the alarms. I dont want some idiot in my car, half the people that call themselves "professional" installers shouldn't be replacing a watch battery let alone an alarm. If I was to pay someone the way I install alarms a $200 alarm would cost me $2000. Alarm companies can F-off as far as I am concerned. This has led to me just being turned off by the car audio industry and I no longer buy much audio equipment. If I do its off sleaze bay and its so cheap I dont care if it gets ripped off or breaks.

The industry as a whole needs to rethink how they do business.

I'll only pay for something I can't or dont want to do myself.

Modified by nsxxtreme at 9:31 PM 10/4/2006
Old 10-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxxtreme)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxxtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its illegal for any company to control how much another company sells their product for.

Modified by nsxxtreme at 6:36 PM 10/4/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tell that to pioneer, what ever they want I'll be a bot for them because some of the prices i pay is incrediable

Old 10-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll tell the truth, if I didn't have huge discounts at a car stereo place, I wouldn't have half the system or alarm I do. Would I pay map otherwise? No. Realistically retailers pay about half of what they sell most products for, so to me (as a customer not an employee) I'd find it a bit ludacris to pay full map.

Honestly if I feel a product is worth it I don't mind paying for it, but paying full price (As much as I love my customers to) is kind of whack.

nsxxtreme:

Although I agree that a lot of the "professional" installers aren't so, I'm sure you can see why most manufacturer's won't give a warranty except to said retailers. I get people who have had a bit of experience with car stereo's telling me that they would have no problem installing a complex alarm. I know that they would expletive it up and then try return/warranty it because they either fried the brain or couldn't figure it out. If they fry the brain cause they're an idiot is the manufacturer really supposed to warranty it? They have no way in hell of checking whether the end installer is a pro or just some joe schmoe and thus have no way to differentiate the quality of install. All in all they would end up wasting money because people are idiots.

That being said, I think there has to be a better solution for the diy'ers like yourself who actually know what they're doing. Let's face it, you have know chance in hell of getting an alarm warrantied unless you know someone in the industry like wrx-sti-dude. I personally think the issue lies with the retailers because ultimately they have the ability to warranty things, but again, we can't gauge installs without a lot of time spent.

Maybe I'm just rambling, but I don't have a good solution
Old 10-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (misanthropist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by misanthropist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll tell the truth, if I didn't have huge discounts at a car stereo place, I wouldn't have half the system or alarm I do. Would I pay map otherwise? No. Realistically retailers pay about half of what they sell most products for, so to me (as a customer not an employee) I'd find it a bit ludacris to pay full map.

Honestly if I feel a product is worth it I don't mind paying for it, but paying full price (As much as I love my customers to) is kind of whack.

nsxxtreme:

Although I agree that a lot of the "professional" installers aren't so, I'm sure you can see why most manufacturer's won't give a warranty except to said retailers. I get people who have had a bit of experience with car stereo's telling me that they would have no problem installing a complex alarm. I know that they would expletive it up and then try return/warranty it because they either fried the brain or couldn't figure it out. If they fry the brain cause they're an idiot is the manufacturer really supposed to warranty it? They have no way in hell of checking whether the end installer is a pro or just some joe schmoe and thus have no way to differentiate the quality of install. All in all they would end up wasting money because people are idiots.

That being said, I think there has to be a better solution for the diy'ers like yourself who actually know what they're doing. Let's face it, you have know chance in hell of getting an alarm warrantied unless you know someone in the industry like wrx-sti-dude. I personally think the issue lies with the retailers because ultimately they have the ability to warranty things, but again, we can't gauge installs without a lot of time spent.

Maybe I'm just rambling, but I don't have a good solution </TD></TR></TABLE>

only on certain things. Not all things are half of cost
Old 10-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's why I said most

Quick Reply: Ebay Audio Equipment, Why So Cheap?