Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

"Brake Lamp" light went on???? is that meaning a problem????

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (scarfaced)

Fiddle and diddle and you just may get it fixed. I removed the lid housing and the body housing and replaced all of the electrical tape on the red/green and black wire connections after cleaning them with a little WD-40. I also sprayed the wire harnesses to clean them up and now they all work fine. I had purchased a brake light switch just in case I needed to replace it, but after connecting it and manually operating it, the problem persisted.

Moral of the story - You never know what you can fix until you try everything.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:35 PM

Default re:georgelimas

did you ever get your brake light problem fixed? i am having the same problem please help me out!!!! thanks alot....
Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you sure it wasn't your accelerating light?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dleccord)

Mine did this about 5 years ago when I installed LED brake light bulbs. It has come on and gone off over the years when I hit a good bump or pothole. I also discovered it would go off if I gave the dash to the right of the steering wheel a little "pop" wth my fingers

I assumed it was the low power usage of the LED's but the bumps and hitting the dash make me think it has been a conection problem or relay of some sort in the dash??

sohc
Old 04-19-2008, 08:51 AM

I have the same problem too. As soon as i start the car and press on the brake pedal, the brake lamp comes on and stays on until the car is off. I replaced the brake switch and brake light sensor failure, and my brake lamp is still on. I have checked and replaced all bulbs in the back too. What could it be?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:55 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

fluid
Old 04-20-2008, 08:27 AM

I had check the brake fluid resovoir and ABS unit and they are both filled normal level.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:35 PM

Default Re: (dleccord)

yes i did fix my light problem.it was a loose wire in my harness that connects to the harness to my brake lights.you know how you can unplug the harness"es at the brake light itself?have someone step on your brake light while you fool around with it,it should light up .thats what i did with mine ,and i have not had the problem since!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:24 PM

Default Re: (georgelimas)

I have a 2000 Honda Accord Coupe with the brake lamp dashboard light illuminated only after the brake pedal is depressed. I read through the last posts espeically about the loose harness but am unclear as to where the harness connection mentioned is located. Is this at the switch at the pedal or somwhere near the tail lamps? Also is the harness near the pedal the brown plastic tab which inserts into the white socket which I am assuming is the switch? Any pictures available? Thanks

Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 AM
Trial User

Default Re: "Brake Lamp" light went on???? is that meaning a problem????

I had the scenario of starting car, brake lights all work fine, step on the brakes and the brake lamp light would appear. Not sure how, but what I did seem to reset the circuit. With the car off and the brake depressed, I disconnected the brake light failure sensor located by the back left brake light and tested the pins for voltage with a simple light/voltage probe. Then connected it back up and using the instructions here http://hondaaccordforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12649 for what should be seen for voltage. I only saw voltage on the green wire. Then I unplugged and checked the #9 fuse on the drivers' side dash. Plugged it back in and then started the car. The light didn't come on when I depressed the brakes as before. Maybe you electronic gurus can tell why, but it looks like it reset the brake lamp light failure circuit.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This problem just popped up on my car too. All the brake light bulbs light up fine and my dad topped off the brake fluid reservoir. I'll check the fuse, brake light switch and brake light harness next but why are these connections loose without anybody touching it?
Attached Images    
Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Might be short to power somehow? I'd try to find a brake light wiring diagram somehow and trace the wire back and see where it's next connection is and check one by one I guess.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Dah
Trial User

hey my break lamp light is showing and i cant seem to figure out what it is... can someone help me out and send me some pictures of where the bulb is located to change it or where the break light switch is under the steering wheel column.

Thanks a lot
Old 03-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Dah, there's some good suggestions in the posts on this thread. georgelimas and scarfaced above solved theirs by working directly at the wiring on the holders for the brake lamps. Something isn't making good contact at all times and sometimes tells the system that a bulb is burned out when all the bulbs are actually working fine. My Accord has been doing it for months, mainly on cool, damp days. I just haven't had time to tear into the trunk and pull all those holders and have a look. That dash indicator doesn't effect the operation of the car, brakes or ABS, so I'm just letting it be until I get some down time to fiddle with it.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Brake Lamp" light went on???? is that meaning a problem???? (bushrat)

Originally Posted by mystre23
lakeman i forwarded a copy of the brakeswitch pic to your profile email, i couldn't figure out how to attach it to this replay. let me know if this helps [IMG][/IMG]
Dear Mystre23;
I am faced with same problem with my Accord 1991, the Brake light in the "OPEN DOOR" cluster area gets ON when I start the engine and push brake pedal few times, Can you please send the same picture of Brakes switch under the Steering column, to my email parsapours@aol.comAlso pls. comment on the Brake reservoir Cap's floater's electrical mechanism as I found that its relevant 2 wires were disconected and its electrical board located inside of the reservoir cap's midle tube is defected. Can it be the cause of brake light getting ON? , what is the function of such board inside the central tube? any idea on board's Specification?
Thanks, and appreciate your hints,
Old 04-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

[QUOTE=scarfaced;32357632]Yes, the bulb is getting power, as it lights when the headlights are on. The left rear brake light lights when the pedal is depressed, but not the right rear (the center rear light also lights). I looked at the fusing, and there is no set of fuses that segregate the left, center a

Hi Honda friends,

I faced with same problem with my Accord 1991, I found that Rear left brake lamp will not get ON when I push brake pedal, while light bulbs were OK, I could not figure out its Fuse location, therefore I shared its wiring connection from other one ( Right ) side, then I began to experience "Brake Light" both on "Open Door" & Hand Brake indicator light on the cluster,
then I was on checking possibilities on the brake Fluid level that I found one of the wires on the Brake Fluid Container Caps been broken, then the 2nd. wire became disconected too as I tried to detach the inner part of the Cap , I followed the continue of the wires and led to the small Electrical board located inside of the central tube located in the centre of the Fluid container below the reservoir 's cap, then it was not removing and wires detached as I was attempting to bring the board out of the tube,
Hence I would appreciate to be guided on the steps I should take to set the issues whether ;
- Is the shared wiring I made between the rear left & right brake lamps could be the cause of the Brake signal ?
-Can it be the cause of brake light getting ON? ,
-What is the function of such board inside the central tube in the Fluid
container cap ? any idea on board's Specification?
- Any comment on Circuit diagram and functionality explanation of subject Electrical Board inside the Cap's Tube?
Pls. note that I checked the resistance black box next to rear brake light compartment, they were looking safe.

Appreciated due guide hints and comments,
Old 04-03-2011, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

[QUOTE=parsapour;44997845]
Originally Posted by scarfaced
Yes, the bulb is getting power, as it lights when the headlights are on. The left rear brake light lights when the pedal is depressed, but not the right rear (the center rear light also lights). I looked at the fusing, and there is no set of fuses that segregate the left, center a

Hi Honda friends,

I faced with same problem with my Accord 1991, I found that Rear left brake lamp will not get ON when I push brake pedal, while light bulbs were OK, I could not figure out its Fuse location, therefore I shared its wiring connection from other one ( Right ) side, then I began to experience "Brake Light" both on "Open Door" & Hand Brake indicator light on the cluster,
then I was on checking possibilities on the brake Fluid level that I found one of the wires on the Brake Fluid Container Caps been broken, then the 2nd. wire became disconected too as I tried to detach the inner part of the Cap , I followed the continue of the wires and led to the small Electrical board located inside of the central tube located in the centre of the Fluid container below the reservoir 's cap, then it was not removing and wires detached as I was attempting to bring the board out of the tube,
Hence I would appreciate to be guided on the steps I should take to set the issues whether ;
- Is the shared wiring I made between the rear left & right brake lamps could be the cause of the Brake signal ?
-Can it be the cause of brake light getting ON? ,
-What is the function of such board inside the central tube in the Fluid
container cap ? any idea on board's Specification?
- Any comment on Circuit diagram and functionality explanation of subject Electrical Board inside the Cap's Tube?
Pls. note that I checked the resistance black box next to rear brake light compartment, they were looking safe.

Appreciated due guide hints and comments,
Old 01-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Brake Lamp" light went on???? is that meaning a problem???? (bushrat)

Hi, I'm ew to the forum. My light is on, also...did you get a picture of this area? I"ll be danmed if I can find it! thanks for the help! Mic
Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check connectors to tail lights and trunk lid lights, corrosion will trip light but still let brake lights work
Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check for corrosion in connectors and bulb sockets
Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check for corrosion in connectors for tail lights and trunk lid lights
Old 03-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have had tail light gaskets leaking, the water can cause corrosion in connectors
Old 03-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After checking every and they are all ok. I took out the sensor little boxes in the rear and resoldered all of the points. My car is a 90 Accord LX. It seems to have fixed the problem.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by govtec
This problem just popped up on my car too. All the brake light bulbs light up fine and my dad topped off the brake fluid reservoir. I'll check the fuse, brake light switch and brake light harness next but why are these connections loose without anybody touching it?

I have a 99 Honda accord V6 and the brake lamp went off today, I was able to see that when I had the headlights on and I depressed the brake pedal all brake lights worked.

As soon as I turned off the headlights and depressed the brake pedal, the center brake light stayed on and the right brake light stayed on, but the left brake light that was off/burned out.

My impression is that the bulbs are double filament bulbs and one of the filaments in the bulb is burnt? I will buy a new bulb and that should fix it.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all is well...it was the lil black plug under the steering wheel. :D and yes, i keep some in the glove compartment for future use. Thanks everyone! :D

Quick Reply: "Brake Lamp" light went on???? is that meaning a problem????