Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 accord start up problem

Hi. I have a 1990 honda accord and recently when I try to start the car
it just whines but doesnt start. If i let it sit for about 15-20
minutes then try again it starts up fine. This has happened about 3
times this month and im not quite sure what is wrong. 90% of the time
it starts up fine. Im thinking I need a new starter? Is there anything
specific I should check? If i need to replace the starter does anyone
know how much it usually costs? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 90 accord start up problem (waivted)

Main Relay
Old 08-10-2006, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Define 'whine' please. Does the Engine crank over?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Re: 90 accord start up problem (hondadude)

ya and when does it do this ? wierd times like pull out of driveway park it wont start . other times its fine then bam at the mall cranks but wont start?
if what i described sounds like your problem then you may have a bad plug in your harness my roommates 91 would do this and the dealer charged about 1 hour time to fix .
i dont know exactly which plug it was but it was related to the fuel system, it wasnt sending fuel and it was under the hood. again most of the time fine but every so often refused to start.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:50 PM

Sorry guys I'm pretty new at this so I dont know the best way to describe it. But I would say normally when u start the car it sounds like makes some turning noises and then something kicks in and the car starts. Basicly now when I try to start the car i turn the key, it makes some turning noises, and thats it. This happens every once in awhile randomly when I try to start the car up. Someone told me the starter could be going bad and i might need to replace it. Just trying to get some ideas on what the problem might be and more specificly how much do you think the auto mechanics will charge to fix somethign like this. Thanks again

Modified by waivted at 3:20 AM 8/11/2006
Old 08-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90 accord start up problem (GreenDestiny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenDestiny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://autorepair.about.com/cs...1.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~mic...y.htm
if you feel like DIY:
http://techauto.te.funpic.org/mainrelay.php
Its about a $60 part from the dealer.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:06 PM

yo destiny is it the main relay?
those links talked about heat build up in the car
so we need to ask waivted if he rolls the windows down and cools the interior will it start, as your links say this is a way to test main relay ,as a heat build up inside causes poor solder joints to fail and if it happens in the winter time would it still be the main relay?
anyways the main relay fix is easy enough, if it doesnt cure the problem then at least you know the main relay is now good.

waivted you need to post the solution to your problem when you get it fixed as green definitely says its only the main relay.