Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

How to disable seat belt reminder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable seat belt reminder?

I need to make several points before I let this thread get started.

1. Seat belts are good, and prevent injuries. I always wear mine when driving on public roads.

2. Some people may have a legitimate reason for not wearing seat belts. Reasons could be doing deliveries (having to get out of the car every 50 yards), driving on private property(farms and getting your mail if you have a long driveway), and in most states it is not required that rear seat passengers over 18 use belts. The back seat is much safer than the front.

3. I am interested in finding a way that disables the reminder system in a similar manner to the way Ford reminders are disable. Pushing certain buttons, unfastening the belt and fastening it again, and then tapping the brake pedal is the type of stuff that I am looking for. In other words disabling only the reminder by some sort of programming is what I am looking for. I am not looking for anything that involves "fooling the car into thinking the belt is fastened". Modern cars have multiplex wiring so it would be very bad to fool the car into thinking the belt is fastened. It could cause a problem with the airbags, pretensioners, and who knows what else. Also remember I am talking about going up my driveway after getting the mail so any idea of getting a buckle from a junked car would be rediculous.

4. This thread will not turn into a moralizing argument about seat belt usage. We all know the benefits of belts, but some people have legitamate reasons not to wear belts as I mentioned earlier.

Now for my question:

I own a 2006 Honda Civic EX Coupe. I love the car, but is there a way to disable the seat belt reminder? It is very obnoxious when I get out to get my mail and then drive up my long driveway. I also drive on a friends private road sometimes. I know the purpose of the reminder is to get people to use belts, but I have always used belts on public roads, and have never owned a car in the past with a buzzer that was anything more than four seconds of buzzing when the engine was started. I am guessing that there must be a way to disable the reminder somehow. Perhaps this is something that the dealer would be able to do, or there must be some intstructions there on how to do it.

Chris

Old 07-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to disable seat belt reminder? (cdawg)

i hate that thing too
sorry im no help
Old 07-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to disable seat belt reminder? (06sik20z3)

pull the plug to the sensor underneath the seat. not the yellow one as Yellow is standard for airbags.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:53 AM

Default Re: How to disable seat belt reminder? (kroze)

If you pull the plug to the sensor under the seat you fool the car into thinking the seat belt is fastened. The seat belt sensor usually works by switching a switch to off when the belt is fastened. When the belt is unfastened the switch is on.

Since the car is fooled into believing the belt is fastened it could affect the pretensioners, or at what rate the airbag fires. Essentially I am looking for a way to disable the reminder through the reminder system itself. I am not looking for a way to fool the reminder into believing the belt is fastened.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:41 AM

well if you are only going down the drive way, why not just buckle it and put it behind you? unless you have a 5 mile driveway it shouldn't take you long to get to your mailbox

and i don't know, but does it stop after the first warning or keep going?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Re: How to disable seat belt reminder? (sbosquet)

No it keeps going. It would take longer to pull the belt behind the seat than it would to put it on to go up the driveway. I can put a belt on with one hand while I'm going down the road. My driveways not real real long but it usually goes through two buzzing cycles befor I get it into the garage.

Chris
Old 07-06-2006, 05:07 PM

Why not just turn the radio up?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that **** is pretty annoying, but you cant hear it with music up
Old 07-10-2006, 12:23 AM

It sucks but the way I drive, people need to wear their seatbelt.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:34 AM

ive been looking for the answer to this for a while now too. I really would like to disable that beep sound, primarily more for the passenger seat b/c all my buddies hate it. I know that seat belts are good...but i just wanna know how to turn that damn thing off and not have to hear it.

Im on the search with you too now cdawg. Im sure we can find this out.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:04 PM

ya i wanna know how to disable the passenger one as well all my friends hate it
Old 07-12-2006, 01:16 PM

Default Re: (thegoods217)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thegoods217 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya i wanna know how to disable the passenger one as well all my friends hate it</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe your friends should wear their seat belts.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:33 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Future.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Future. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe your friends should wear their seat belts.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm glad the reminder is there.
But hey on the other hand the non seatbelt wearers are a dying breed. So soon there shouldn't be many left
Old 07-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Howcome no one has thought to just buy a seatbelt buckle from honda and plug it into the latch. I dont know how much it would be, but it would stop it.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:31 AM

Default Re: (Demonis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Demonis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Howcome no one has thought to just buy a seatbelt buckle from honda and plug it into the latch. I dont know how much it would be, but it would stop it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cdawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you pull the plug to the sensor under the seat you fool the car into thinking the seat belt is fastened. The seat belt sensor usually works by switching a switch to off when the belt is fastened. When the belt is unfastened the switch is on.

Since the car is fooled into believing the belt is fastened it could affect the pretensioners, or at what rate the airbag fires. Essentially I am looking for a way to disable the reminder through the reminder system itself. I am not looking for a way to fool the reminder into believing the belt is fastened. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-17-2006, 07:27 AM

Default Re: (Future.)

you can turn it off with a vag machine if you have a in ant the local stealership