Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-27-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
Jvs10
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Jvs10
Default My silencer is stuck

Hey, this is elementskater15 from Automotiveforums. All the honda folks seem to have wandered over here so yea...I have an Rs*R GtII on my 92 hatch and I put the silencer in cause my girl was complaining about the noise. While it is quieter it sounds like a bee but its stuck in there really tight. I remember i took a wooden bat, put it against the muffler and beat it in with a hammer. It came with the silencer in the muffler abd it was really hard to get out with the muffler off the car. Now when i tug on it the rubber mounts just absorb the shock and it says in there. Can I just take it to a muffler shop and have them pull it out? they can do anything short of cutting the muffler off.
Jvs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
Otherguy
NASIOC.com
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: My silencer is stuck (Jvs10)

Welcome to ht....

well... ummm grab it with plyers and try pulling it out... but from what you have said with hitting it with the bat prob got it suck perm. new muffler?
Old 06-27-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
VRD^don
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

rev the living **** out of your car..lol...try and spray some wd40 or PB on it..give it some tugs with a piler..
Old 06-27-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
Jvs10
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Jvs10

I'll try the wd40 thing tomorrow. The part that is stuck is the part that is in the tip, the pipe that is actually in the muffler slid in easily. I dont care about the condition of the silencer...i may end up cutting it our or something. Thats my last resort. I'm going to see how much it will cost to fix a huge dent in my car tomorrow. (i was backing up, feathering the clutch, wet flip flops, foot slipped, and there just happened to be an expedtion behind me...dropped civic+bumper=bad) So I'm gonna stop by the muffler shop too. It needs another spring on the slip fit flange anyhow. RSR mufflers are expensive, so i would really like to not have to replace the muffler. I've had friends tug on it with vice grips..nothing, i think i may be able to take a hole say and cut around the center pipe and pull it out...then roll belled part of the silencer out of the tip...of worse comes to worse
Jvs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
B and B
Honda-Tech Member
1992 Si Hatch _

iTrader Rating: (3)

Fashion some sort of slide hammer device. I've done it before. Use something that will drop over the lip of the silencer inside. It would help to remove it while the exhaust is very hot after some extended open-throttle driving. Spraying the silencer with some sort of cooling substance would be a good idea too.
R-134 with the little shitty self-install tube maybe?? Hose the **** outta the inside of the silencer before slide-hammering that bitch. Oh yeah...the penetrating lube, also- prolly squirt that in before the drive so it will flow into the nether-regions.

The hole saw might work..but you could save your silencer this way. If you get it out clean the mating surfaces with some scotchbrite and use something to prevent seizing next time.
I have 25 turbos in my garage as i speak...ive seen people run holsets DRY, and have never had one issue afterwards.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
98, accord, civic, cost, exhaust, fix, honda, lubricant, muffler, open, remove, removing, silencer, stuck, tight