Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > All Motor/ Naturally Aspirated
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-12-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
vtecjj
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
merismotorsports
Default STOCK LS rods for 230 whp B20-VTEC: Are they strong enough?

I wanted to get people's firsthand experience on the limits of the STOCK LS rods.
Will they hold in a 230-240whp B20, with ARP bolts, a 12.5 compression ratio, and 9000 revs?

I was told from engine builders that, as long as you run the (main) bearing clearances on the loose side, use good thick oil, have ARP bolts, and don't boost the engine. STOCK LS rods will hold up.

Can anyone vouch?

Has anyone seen an actual LS rod break (the actual rod and not the rod bolts) in an all motor application?

thanks for the input

Modified by vtecjj at 9:25 AM 6/13/2006
vtecjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:14 AM   #2
Dirtfall
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Dirtfall
Default Re: STOCK LS rods for 230 whp B20-VTEC: Are they strong enough? (vtecjj)

I would also like to know.
Dirtfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:02 AM   #3
pr0honda
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to pr0honda
Default Re: STOCK LS rods for 230 whp B20-VTEC: Are they strong enough? (Dirtfall)

so think about this.. if you are making 230whp you would have to spend a good deal of money on pistons, head, and cams. what will 300 more dollars do? so you put stock ls rods in......... maybe they will hold. not likely unless you keep the revs under 8k.. which im sure you wont. why would you want to take a chance in destroying the rest of your engine? buy some 300 dollar eagle rods or scat or econo crower.. something.. be smart dont be a retard..

so your engine builder is saying loose main bearings will make your rods stronger? any real engine builder would see what you are spending and advise against using a oem rod like the ls.

If you were using something like a gsr or type r or even a b16a rod you could probably get away with it.. the ls rods is not a very strong stock piece.

shawn
Old 06-13-2006, 03:24 AM   #4
HYBRID FREAK
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to HYBRID FREAK

Agreed to a certent extent but, I have seen alot of stock block boosted 300+ horsepower ls engines and hold up for years.

But me personally i would just but some $300 dollar eagle rods and build as much N/A hosepower as you like.

HYBRID FREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:50 AM   #5
pr0honda
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (HYBRID FREAK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYBRID FREAK
Agreed to a certent extent but, I have seen alot of stock block boosted 300+ horsepower ls engines and hold up for years.

But me personally i would just but some $300 dollar eagle rods and build as much N/A hosepower as you like.
with a boosted engine you dont have to rev.. keeping it uder 7500 is easy. i believe you can make 300hp on a stock rod. is it reliable? if you are lucky it could be.. chances of breaking a rod are pretty good with one good detonation.. if you are already in there and replacing the pistons you should upgrage the rods. ls rods are weak. breaking a rod can ruin your whole engine. the 300 dollars is like insurance for the rest of your engine.

shawn
Old 06-13-2006, 08:25 AM   #6
vtecjj
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

merismotorsports
Default Re: STOCK LS rods for 230 whp B20-VTEC: Are they strong enough? (pr0honda)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0honda
why would you want to take a chance in destroying the rest of your engine? be smart dont be a retard..

shawn
Not really being a retard...I race in a Honda Challenge, and we can't use any kind of aftermarket parts in the block. I'm still debating on whether or not to use the LS crank/rods or to throw the GSR/Type R crank/rods in the B20 block. By using the LS crank and rods, I have 40cc more.

Quote:
so your engine builder is saying loose main bearings will make your rods stronger? any real engine builder would see what you are spending and advise against using a oem rod like the ls.

shawn
Actually, the person who suggests to keep the LS rods and keep the LS stroke over the GSR/Type R crank rods, is pretty prominent on the east coast. I won't explicitly quote him or give up his name, but his shop/business is three initials, begins with a "R" and ends with a "Z".
He's not saying looser mains makes the rods stronger, he's saying it'll be less stress on the rods. I still would consider him a "REAL" engine builder.
thx for the input.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
pr0honda
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: STOCK LS rods for 230 whp B20-VTEC: Are they strong enough? (vtecjj)

definitelty opt for the gsr/typer crank and rods if it will be a road race engine in the h1 class. what piston are you planning on using to get 12.5:1 compression?

shawn
Old 06-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #8
DC4KiD
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to DC4KiD
Default Re: STOCK LS rods for 230 whp B20-VTEC: Are they strong enough? (pr0honda)

If you want to keep the LS rods, at least have them shot-peened.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
b20powereDA
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: STOCK LS rods for 230 whp B20-VTEC: Are they strong enough? (DC4KiD)

acydphryck made 244whp on a b20 vtec wit itr replica pistons wit stock b20 resixed rods wit arp rod bolts. i tried to find his post for u but i cant. put if u pm hime hell talk to u about it.
b20powereDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #10
vtecjj
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

merismotorsports

Quote:
definitelty opt for the gsr/typer crank and rods if it will be a road race engine in the h1 class. what piston are you planning on using to get 12.5:1 compression?

shawn
85mm oem honda pistons, + mild shaving on the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4KiD
If you want to keep the LS rods, at least have them shot-peened.
yeah, if I do use the stock LS rods, I plan to peen them and magnaflux them too
Old 06-13-2006, 11:04 PM   #11
acydphryck
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: STOCK LS rods for 230 whp B20-VTEC: Are they strong enough? (b20powereDA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20powereDA
acydphryck made 244whp on a b20 vtec wit itr replica pistons wit stock b20 resixed rods wit arp rod bolts. i tried to find his post for u but i cant. put if u pm hime hell talk to u about it.
heh...Nick M locked the thread and then stuck it out in the middle of nowhere...my dyno sheet is already played out anyway Click the image to open in full size. LOL!!!
MacBook Pro SEALED IN BOX. SOLD.
acydphryck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:56 AM   #12
JCushing
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to JCushing
Default Re: STOCK LS rods for 230 whp B20-VTEC: Are they strong enough? (acydphryck)

maybe he was jealous cause you made more power than him Click the image to open in full size.

that explains alot i just got my 84.5mm pistons and was looking for your thread.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #13
acydphryck
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: STOCK LS rods for 230 whp B20-VTEC: Are they strong enough? (JCushing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCushing
maybe he was jealous cause you made more power than him Click the image to open in full size.

that explains alot i just got my 84.5mm pistons and was looking for your thread.
heh...it's a good motor for daily driving for sure. my thread got locked and got put out in the b00nies somewhere...i'm debating whether or not to post up another one Click the image to open in full size.
MacBook Pro SEALED IN BOX. SOLD.
acydphryck is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
230whp, 845mm, arp, b20, block, bolts, fs, horsepower, itr, ls, peened, pistons, rod, rods, shot, stock, strong, vtec