Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Vtec W/ Turbo

Old 05-24-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec W/ Turbo

i have heard that turbo is bad for Vtec and was just wondering if there is anything special to know when putting on turbo (on a 06 accord sedan lx) and i was just wondering if turbo would cut down the lifetime of my engine??? i am look ing for great performance on the runway but i also want a good amount of time with my car....
Old 05-24-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Vtec W/ Turbo (fuel.Injected.Life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fuel.Injected.Life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am look ing for great performance on the runway but i also want a good amount of time with my car....</TD></TR></TABLE>

v6 6 speed and if you want more than that it will be hard to build a reliable car with good performance. cheap, fast and reliable - pick 2..... a turbo will kill an engine faster than normal. but under light boost and a great tune would increase your reliability of your engine still wont last as long as it should. v6 6 speed is your best bet and wont viod warenty
Old 05-24-2006, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Vtec W/ Turbo (RnEpmc)

well i dont really care about money... i have a pretty steady income i just want it faster and pretty much as reliable as a normal stock honda....
Old 05-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VTEC and turbos go together just fine. At this point, I'm assuming you have a 4-cyl simply because you haven't stated either, and most people are quick to say if they have the V6.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RnEpmc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">v6 6 speed is your best bet and wont viod warenty </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wait... Are you suggesting that he swap the 4-cyl for a V6 w/ 6-spd? And that the swap won't void the warranty??
Old 05-24-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Vtec W/ Turbo (philadd)

so far it doesnt sound like u know much and would likely build a pretty bad turbo setup, read around here for a few months, especially the forced induction section if youre serious about boosting, and learn...

if youre goal is to build a 500 hp motor, then engine life will be reduced considerably, if youre planning on keeping the internals stock (sleeves, rods, pistons, cams, etc.), then running around 10-12psi of boost with a good tune on hondata or the like and not on a vafc + fuel regulator will not hurt your engine life, the biggest killer of an engine is harsh driving conditions like no changing the oil and coolant and plugs at the correct intervals, running low quality fluids, lots and lots of stop and go driving or extreme loads ( like uphill/mountain driving) or worst of all, abusing the car while its still cold

a car thats driven at 4k rpm 2 seconds after startup a lot will have an extremely shorter engine life than a bossted motor tuned properly at 12psi

read up , and if you turbo dont plan on taking the car in for any warranty work....
Old 05-24-2006, 04:47 PM

There isnt much for an 06 unless you want to do everything custom. You have simple mods like I/H/E. If you want something serious use the search button. There is a bunch of things that you can do to K series motor. Let us know what your motor is too.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Vtec W/ Turbo (twistedbydezign)

our sohc vtec's seems to work out well with the turbo from what I know personally. our motors have low compression, iron sleeves, a good flowing head, minimal valve overlap, etc.

dont get me wrong though... a dohc vtec is great with the boost too, it just seems to require a bit more tuning accomidate things like the higher compression, added valve overlap and whatnot.

for example, from what I know the normally n/a dohc vtec's tend to have alot of valve overlap as opposed to our sohc's. as you really dont want valve overlap in a boosted application, you have to change the cam timing (or cams) slightly to accomidate.

as someone else said though, what specific motor are we talking about.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Vtec W/ Turbo (twkdCD595)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twkdCD595 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
for example, from what I know the normally n/a dohc vtec's tend to have alot of valve overlap as opposed to our sohc's. as you really dont want valve overlap in a boosted application, you have to change the cam timing (or cams) slightly to accomidate.

as someone else said though, what specific motor are we talking about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

a boosted motor will have more air fuel in the cylinder and therefore more pressure to push out the combusted gases when the exhaust valve opens, honda dohc motors are almost all N/A performance motors, an N/A motor has a lot less air/fuel and pressure in the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens, so spent gases would only exit the cylinder until pressure in the primary and cylinder become equal, leaving some exhaust gas to be mixed with the incoming air/fuel, with overlap, the exhaust gases exiting are pulling the rest of the gases out of the cylinder, and when the intake valve opens, the rest of the exhaust can come out because there is fresh air/fuel to fill the vacuum, plus the exiting gases create a vacuum pulling in a little extra air/fuel, with overlap a little bit of the incoming air/fuel will also exit with the previous exhaust gases, which is the same motor but 1 dohc and 1 sohc, the dohc is a little bit more polluting (unburnt hydrocarbons) and will use more gas
Old 05-25-2006, 06:04 PM

2.4 liter DOHC i-VTEC