Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16A1 swap into 96 Civic HB - Confirmation questions before buying

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A1 swap into 96 Civic HB - Confirmation questions before buying

Hey Squad,

Been awhile since I've posted, done about a months worth of research on here and just about to drop some $$$ but wanna just make sure my finalized list is good to go, so I don't run into any issues buying wrong parts or missing parts.

Car: 1996 Civic CX HB
Swap: B16A1

Here's the parts list I've generated so far from the research I've done:

Transmission:

- 94+ B16 tranny (hydro)

Tranny Mounts:

- Rear tranny mount (from 99-00 Si)
- Driverside tranny mount (from 99-00 Si)
- Both lower mounts (not sure if this is necessary)

Engine Mounts:

- Rear
- Passenger lower
- Driver upper and lower

Head:

- GSR Vtec

Camshaft:

- CTR intake
- CTR or ITR exhaust

Axles:

- 94-00 Integra or 99-00 Si

Shift Linkage:

- 94-00 Integra or 99-00 Si

Throttle cable and bracket

- Any b-series non-GSR

Distributor:

- Any b-series Vtec OBDII

Basically, if anyone has first hand experience can look over my parts list and see if it suffices for me to go a head and proceed with the $$$, let me know if I am missing anything, mistaken anything, or if there's anything I don't need from the list in which I can reuse from my existing car. Any insight is much much appreciated and thanks for your time, you guys rock
Old 05-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A1 swap into 96 Civic HB - Confirmation questions before buying (SPD DMN)

bump
Old 05-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

96-98 civic ex m/t wiring harness. It makes things a little easier when it comes to that portion of the swap.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B20 EJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20 EJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">96-98 civic ex m/t wiring harness. It makes things a little easier when it comes to that portion of the swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (My DC2)

Hey guys, thnx for the input, other than the wiring, hows everything else? Most concerning to me is the tranny mounts, from searching some people say I can reuse one of my mounts, some say I need full swap.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why a GSR head? A B16 head is actually a better head and flows more.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay_Sensing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why a GSR head? A B16 head is actually a better head and flows more.</TD></TR></TABLE>I was actually wondering the same thing
Old 05-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPD DMN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys, thnx for the input, other than the wiring, hows everything else? Most concerning to me is the tranny mounts, from searching some people say I can reuse one of my mounts, some say I need full swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey Guys,

I was going for a B16 head, but after consulting with my brother, he advised on a GSR head... not going to question his opinion so that's what I'm going for. From the research I've been reading on, a lot of topics on GSR vs. B16 and yea I heard B16 has better flow as well... thnx for the input guys!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SPD DMN)

But when you have the B18c1 bottom end/ B16 Head= Poor Man's Type R. The only thing you'll be missing is the limited slip and internals...other than that it's a nice set-up..I plan to do that once I get CTR pistons.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (My DC2)

Hey My DC2, wish I could have a b18 block, but my bro already has a b16 block so I guess this is my poor man's upgrade I think I've gotten what I need from everyone, any further input/opinions/advise is more than welcome. Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can reuse almost all the mounts.... heres the mount list you need....

94-01 b series rear t bracket.. ( goes between the motor and the mount )
94-01 b series transmission tourqe mounts ( goes on the front of the tranny/under the frame)
94-01 b series shift linkage ( except del sol )
94-01 b series ac bracket ( goes on front of motor also under the frame)

usually it depends on the drivers side.. my friend had the b16 and he used his cx mount.. it depends on if its a 2 bolt mount or a 3 bolt mount.. if u have a 2 bolt mount stock.. and the b16 comes with a 2 bolt.. like im shure it will .. the drivers side mount is fine.. also i think the tranny mount will be the same too from a d to b

hope this helps
Old 05-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siregcivic)

siregcivic: thnx for the info, im gonna check out my mounts and see if they match up to your explanation. Thanks!!
Old 05-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPD DMN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">siregcivic: thnx for the info, im gonna check out my mounts and see if they match up to your explanation. Thanks!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

no problem man.. im glad i can help someone out.. hahaha.. ya im a d series guy but.. i know about b series too.. done a few swaps
Old 05-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no problem man.. im glad i can help someone out.. hahaha.. ya im a d series guy but.. i know about b series too.. done a few swaps </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, i'm not that experienced myself... only proj i've gotten my hands dirty in is a minime swap, suspension, disk brakes, exhaust... so this I guess would be my first BIG project... glad I got my bro to back me up... anyways any other input would be gladly appreciated. Keep up the good work peeps!
Old 05-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can reuse almost all the mounts.... heres the mount list you need....

94-01 b series rear t bracket.. ( goes between the motor and the mount )
94-01 b series transmission tourqe mounts ( goes on the front of the tranny/under the frame)
94-01 b series shift linkage ( except del sol )
94-01 b series ac bracket ( goes on front of motor also under the frame)

usually it depends on the drivers side.. my friend had the b16 and he used his cx mount.. it depends on if its a 2 bolt mount or a 3 bolt mount.. if u have a 2 bolt mount stock.. and the b16 comes with a 2 bolt.. like im shure it will .. the drivers side mount is fine.. also i think the tranny mount will be the same too from a d to b

hope this helps
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey siregcivic, and everyone else.

Did some more searching on H-T, man there's a lot of mixed information out there. Hopefully this thread can clarify it all.

From this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=548027

it seems that all i need is the Rear T bracket mount (#7), and the driver side engine mount (#8).

However, from this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=548027

it seems in addition to the above 2 mounts, I also need #4 and #6 and the front tranny mount #10

But from your above post, it doesn't mention anything regarding the other mounts that I need, so it seems like I'm back to square one - lost! Haha sorry if i sound ignorant or retarded on this subject, but I just dont wanna be dropping $$$ on stuff I can reuse, and I definately dont want to start my swap and find out I need mounts that I may have overlooked. So if ANYONE can just finalize and clarify EXACTLY what tranny mounts and what engine mounts I need, and which ones I can reuse that would save me from my own stupidity, and also clarify a million questions other people have out there as well.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up
Old 05-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no one?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i told u what u need already.. u need part numbers # 10 #1 and #7....

the bolts that go into part numbers 10 and 1 will come from your d series if those dont come with them... they will thread in and fit.. u just need the bracket.. also i forgot if u said u have it.. but u need the throttle cable from an si coupe 99-00 if its going in an ek 96-00
Old 05-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how bout ECU??? not on your list.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i told u what u need already.. u need part numbers # 10 #1 and #7....

the bolts that go into part numbers 10 and 1 will come from your d series if those dont come with them... they will thread in and fit.. u just need the bracket.. also i forgot if u said u have it.. but u need the throttle cable from an si coupe 99-00 if its going in an ek 96-00</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey siregcivic, thnx again for posting, sweet I'll take your word for it and get some mounts now! Your insight has been much appreciated again!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how bout ECU??? not on your list.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey schardbody, I currently have a minime swap so I'm reusing my P28, thnx for the heads up though!

u guys rock!