Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Help installing rear suspension!

Old 05-19-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help installing rear suspension!

Hi,

Car: 1994 Acura Integra
Suspension: Cusco Zero-2's (ITR LCA)

I was attempting to remove my rear suspension and I loosened the bolt holding the bottom of the damper in the rear LCA but I cannot get the bolt to come out. The bolt isn't seized and I can loosen it but it seems to be stuck in there. I've read some threads about tapping a rod on the end to tap the bolt out, but when getting it back in it doesn't seem to align and I can't thread the bolt back in to tighten it.

It's been very discouraging thus far and I don't have access to any air tools. Any pictures, techniques, or help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone have any tips on how to adjust height with the bottom collar on a coilover in the rear? The front hasn't given me any problems,

Thanks!!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where the trailing arm attaches at the top by the suspension, pull that out and you'll be able to swing the whole assembly there and you can wiggle that bolt out.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Help installing rear suspension! (juniordc2)

what youre dealing with the bolt not aligning is expected.

what you need to do is take off the outer lower control arm bolt. then install the shock bolt. you need to then jack the lower control arm up, so it pushes the shock and control arm up. the trailing arm should be free to grab and then you can align it so the outer control arm bushing bolt can easily be pushed through. you may try sticking a screwdriver in there to help.

this is the proper way to do the rears. the key is jacking up the lower control arm. and while its jacked up, tighten all the control arm bolts in this position to zero out the bushings.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help installing rear suspension! (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what youre dealing with the bolt not aligning is expected.

what you need to do is take off the outer lower control arm bolt. then install the shock bolt. you need to then jack the lower control arm up, so it pushes the shock and control arm up. the trailing arm should be free to grab and then you can align it so the outer control arm bushing bolt can easily be pushed through. you may try sticking a screwdriver in there to help.

this is the proper way to do the rears. the key is jacking up the lower control arm. and while its jacked up, tighten all the control arm bolts in this position to zero out the bushings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did this yesterday without having to do all that...save a lot of time just doing it from that upper trailing arm bolt...

Right there above the caliper (or drum in the case of the pic), that guy...I dunno, it's a little trick I learned, you can do it the other way if you like but then you have to put weight on the LCA to get it to line up...
Old 05-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help installing rear suspension! (Kris)

you still have to push up the suspension to zero out the bushings and properly complete the installation.

theres always more than one way to do something. doesnt mean theres not a "better" way tho.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, Agreed... the Koni install thread up top does it the way I did it yesterday. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1106020
Old 05-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help installing rear suspension! (Kris)

rj still jacked up the rear. shrug.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rj's mom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In the rear, jack up the lower control arm to get the upper control arm back onto the trailing arm once the shock is in.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-19-2006, 01:19 PM

Thanks for everyone's help so far! I will definately implement all of your tips during the install. I've been following my Helm's manual throughout this, but the little things i've picked up here should make the install go alot smoother. Just to make sure i'm on the right track I should:

1. Remove the 2 top damper bolts
2. Remove the upper trailing arm bolt
3. Remove the damper LCA bolt
4. Remove the bottom LCA bolt near the caliper

The key for me is to go as smoothly as possible since I fear that I will have to repeatedly take the assembly out while fiddling with the bottom collar of the coilover to get the height just right.

Keep the suggestions coming, thanks!
Old 05-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by juniordc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1. Remove the 2 top damper bolts
2. Remove the upper trailing arm bolt
3. Remove the damper LCA bolt
4. Remove the bottom LCA bolt near the caliper</TD></TR></TABLE>

huh? are you trying to put your suspension together or take it apart?

Old 05-19-2006, 03:01 PM

taking it apart, and reversal for re-install
Old 05-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

MY way, you dont touch the upper control arm.

i follow the helms manual.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rj still jacked up the rear. shrug.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah, I had my car on a lift so I just pushed the assembly up and pulled the UCA down and got the bolt in nice and easy.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by juniordc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">taking it apart, and reversal for re-install </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, you don't need to remove both the UCA and the LCA bolts, just one or the other, depending on which way you're going to pull it out.