Notices

Rust repair quarter panels

Old 05-08-2006, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust repair quarter panels

So I searched around and all I came across were posts of people asking about them with no answers. So here goes.

I found some repair panels at rustrepair.com. The are just the portion that rusts out commonly. They go for $46 a side. Seems reasonable to me.

Has anyone used these before? I can't tell if they are metal or not. They look like plastic. I'll be shooting them an email to confirm this. If they're plastic, doesn't sound like its worthwhile.

I know people say just goto a junk yard and cut the pieces out. That's easier said than done here.

Here's the cancer spot on the driver's side FWIW.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rust repair quarter panels (Deviation)

"...replacement panels are die-stamped for an accurate fit and made of heavy gauge sheet metal to last long."
Old 05-08-2006, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Rust repair quarter panels (9 CRX si 1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9 CRX si 1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"...replacement panels are die-stamped for an accurate fit and made of heavy gauge sheet metal to last long." </TD></TR></TABLE>
*smacks forehead* Not enough caffiene yet....
Old 05-08-2006, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah.. but where did you find them for crx's?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Rust repair quarter panels (9 CRX si 1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9 CRX si 1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah.. but where did you find them for crx's?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Odd that they don't have them listed for CRXs. They list the fronts, but no rears....
Old 05-08-2006, 09:12 AM

Thought I'd post up this link for people thinking about welding in their own panels. Very good info.
http://www.hotrodders.com/foru....html
Old 05-08-2006, 04:53 PM

anybody know where you can find panels for a crx, im in desperite need of some
Old 05-08-2006, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Rust repair quarter panels (mrtoastyjr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrtoastyjr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anybody know where you can find panels for a crx, im in desperite need of some</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 i need both sides... mabe we can get a group buy thing????????
Old 05-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rust repair quarter panels (b16crexster)

replace the rotted part with new steel, no need to change the whole pannel.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Rust repair quarter panels (HamiltonRex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HamiltonRex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">replace the rotted part with new steel, no need to change the whole pannel.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm more worried about getting the contours and gauge right. Seems like this would be the simple way to do that.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Rust repair quarter panels (b16crexster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16crexster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

x2 i need both sides... mabe we can get a group buy thing???????? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea im deffinatly down for that, moneys short right now for me and times running out. i need them bad.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:45 PM

i used those things

Old 05-09-2006, 04:29 AM

Default Re: (slammedcivicsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammedcivicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i used those things</TD></TR></TABLE>
Good to hear from someone that's used 'em. Were they decent quality?
Old 05-09-2006, 05:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

wow, thats awesome i'm gonna get a pair as well, people do a lot to get these from junkyards in decent condition
Old 05-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Deviation]So I searched around and all I came across were posts of people asking about them with no answers. So here goes.

I found some repair panels at rustrepair.com. The are just the portion that rusts out commonly. They go for $46 a side. Seems reasonable to me.

Has anyone used these before? I can't tell if they are metal or not. They look like plastic. I'll be shooting them an email to confirm this. If they're plastic, doesn't sound like its worthwhile.

There was another post with a guy that used them for 94 civic, seemed to work out alright. Good price and it's brand new sheetmetal so it'll be better than buying from a yard IMO, especially from cars in Ohio. I plan to do the same thing with my integra, but unfortunately rustrepair.com doesn't make them for my integra, so I just recently bought a quarter panel from a California car that doesn't have any rust. I've also heard of people glueing the panels in with exopy and then spot welding 4 or 5 different spots to reinforce the panel once it's in. Here's a good link: http://www.rustrepair.com/glue_on_pnl.htm. Also some people say that welding the panels increases the likeliness of rust coming back again, not sure of the specifics.
Also look into to POR 15 or some kind of rust inhibitor, basically you coat the metal with it before welding it, I've heard good things about those products.

Keep us updated with your progress. I'm planning to do this here shortly as well, It'll actually be the first time I've stepped into doing bodywork.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had some rust free ones ( I know in the pic they are rusted but the main spots are not )

Still have the floor pan as seen in the pic for sale
Old 05-09-2006, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Rust repair quarter panels (Nisif)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nisif &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There was another post with a guy that used them for 94 civic, seemed to work out alright. Good price and it's brand new sheetmetal so it'll be better than buying from a yard IMO, especially from cars in Ohio. I plan to do the same thing with my integra, but unfortunately rustrepair.com doesn't make them for my integra, so I just recently bought a quarter panel from a California car that doesn't have any rust. I've also heard of people glueing the panels in with exopy and then spot welding 4 or 5 different spots to reinforce the panel once it's in. Here's a good link: http://www.rustrepair.com/glue_on_pnl.htm. Also some people say that welding the panels increases the likeliness of rust coming back again, not sure of the specifics.
Also look into to POR 15 or some kind of rust inhibitor, basically you coat the metal with it before welding it, I've heard good things about those products.

Keep us updated with your progress. I'm planning to do this here shortly as well, It'll actually be the first time I've stepped into doing bodywork.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I imagine the rust could come back from welding since you have some oxidation leftover. If its something I can get to, it will get hit with POR15 or some other rust treatment when its done. Just in case.

This is my first time as well. But I figure its not my daily driver right now, so I can take my time and learn. Should be fun. I'll keep everyone updated.

BTW, ever get on streetracingdayton.com? Just curious since I see you're from the dayton area too.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rustrepair.com has a listing for the civics but not for the crx. anyone know if the civic wheel arch is identical to the crx?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deviation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I imagine the rust could come back from welding since you have some oxidation leftover. If its something I can get to, it will get hit with POR15 or some other rust treatment when its done. Just in case.

This is my first time as well. But I figure its not my daily driver right now, so I can take my time and learn. Should be fun. I'll keep everyone updated.

BTW, ever get on streetracingdayton.com? Just curious since I see you're from the dayton area too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've even heard some people using the POR 15 before welding it. Nah, haven't really been on SRD much, guess I'm too hooked on h-tech.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and wala..... https://www.hondapartsdeals.co...+4802
Old 05-09-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Re: (3s0n3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 3s0n3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and wala..... https://www.hondapartsdeals.co...+4802</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i know you can get thrm from a dealer, i just wasn't all about $600 for panels.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Re: (mrtoastyjr)

I have 5 brand new sets of panels on the way

They are EF8/ED9 arches. I should have them in 2-4 weeks for anyone interested. The arches are DIRECT replacement for hatches and may need a trim for a CRX. However, the arch is identical on both. hatches and CRX's. I will post some pics once I have them in hand.

I wish I had these myself before I did my own project. I ended up pounding out my own panels by hand, which was labor intensive and nerve-wracking.

I don't think anyone in the US currently has any. I searched high and low with little luck. Even the above links mentioned seemed to be hit and miss and they would list them one day and then they would disappear.

I'm currently estimating the cost to be $150 shipped for both sides.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:17 PM
MEAT PATTY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (88 rex)

Will, definitely let me know when you get them in. I'm very interested in them.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: (goforbroke)

BTW, I personally expoy'd/riveted in my own panels, as an FYI to the DIY'er. I had no experience at all, but had some time and a little creativity (and a little $$ for extra tools). I used my own stuff made from scrap metal from home depot with a hammer/hands/and shears. Not fun to say the least in trying to make those panels, but installing them was a hoot. I would have saved myself countless hours with ANY kind of pre-made panel. I'm bummed I didn't have these then, but maybe this will be incentive to do another project
Old 05-09-2006, 07:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deviation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BTW, ever get on streetracingdayton.com? Just curious since I see you're from the dayton area too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used Zero-rust to coat all my metal

Then I used Metal-2-Metal to fill in all my body work It's water proof and won't shrink.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rust repair quarter panels