Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

LS Vtec question??????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Vtec question??????????

I have an ls vtec with stage three cams, titanium lifts/retainers, 11.1 compression pistons, aebs intake manifold, rc engineering throtle body, greddy emanage. I asked my mechanic if i would need a fuel rail along with bigger injectors and he said it was not necessary. My car has been tuned using the wide band and according to my him my air fuel ratios are good.
My question is, if i have the manifold and cams to produce more power why does my mechanic tell me i wont benifit upgrading my injectors, fuel rail, fuel pump?

my friend has less then my car only having skunk2 cams but bigger injectors and his car is pulling almost as strong as mine, and he has an integra while im in a hatch with no ac or power steering!?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: LS Vtec question?????????? (deepbluepentium)

depending on how much air your engine is moving, it may be a good idea to get some bigger injectors and retune. But I would not expect a power increase unless it is really starving. The fuel rail is not needed.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS Vtec question?????????? (Runnerdown)

your compression isnt high enough for stage 3 cams first of all, second oem fuel rail can supply enough power for at least 300-400 whp. you will be fine.. use 310cc injectors
Old 04-24-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: LS Vtec question?????????? (Oldskool teggy)

I dont understand that im not running high enough compression for stage 3 cams. And if i get the injectors do i have to get a fuel pump as well.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of stage 3 cams do you have. it could be the buddy club spec 3 cams which is similar to a stage 1 cam in general. So all in all you are trying to compete with your friend right? what transmission are you running? are you getting traction? do you have any dyno charts? how high are you revving your motor to. there's alot of ways to improve. number 1 is how you drive it though....
Old 04-24-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Re: LS Vtec question?????????? (UNKNOWN_MEMBER)

I have a b16 tranny, and yes i have the buddy club spec 3's. I red line at 9k and my driving and launch are pretty good. Im just confused why his car is able to hang with mine. The only thing he has upgraded that i have not is the injectors.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

11:1 compression is fine for the spec 3s. put it on a dyno and post up the graph. you can run crome, put 270cc injectors, and tune it. you don't need to upgrade the fuel pump.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The amount of fuel you need is based on the power output of the car and its specific fuel consumption. For the injectors, you generally don’t want to work them over an 80% duty cycle (the tuner will tell you the duty cycle you’re at when you tune). The fuel pump needs to supply enough flow to feed those injectors.

The equations to size injectors and fuel pumps are all over the net and probably here somewhere. If you want, I.M. me and I'll send you a great spreadsheet that sizes your injectors and fuel pump in just about any units you want, it's very easy. That goes for anybody that’s interested.