Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

*** How-To*** Clean Your FITV aka Fast Idle Thermo Valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: *** How-To*** Clean Your FITV aka Fast Idle Thermo Valve

Nice thread, helped me a lot. Just a little sugesstion - while you'r at it, you might wanna clean the IACV, PCV and TB as well. I did it on my DA9 and the car runs much smoother and idles like it's supposed to.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:43 AM

nice, i might have to try this on my da
Old 02-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just installed my maxbore 64mm
when the motor is cold it idles from 1500-2000rpm
i have outlaw engineering gasket kit
it cant be the gasket?
maybe air in the system?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Amazing write up, did this to my car and no more annoying idle, appreciate the time you took to do all this.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey everyone. So I installed a newer engine in the car cause I hydrolocked the last one in a storm last month. Anyways I have this weird idle problem now. The teg is an automatic. When I start my car the idle is at 1800rpm and drops down to 1100-1300rpm after its warmed up. When I put the car in drive it sits at around 1000-1100rpm. While in drive it will sit at this rpm any time im sitting at idle. After driving anywhere and I put the car in park the idle will go all the way up to 1800rpm again until I shut it off. If the car is warm and I shut it off and turn it back on while the engine is hot it will sit at 750-8000prm which is where I had it set to when I clean my iacv. Im just wondering why it revs so high all the time unless the car is warmed up and I turn the car off and then back on. I adjusted the fitv on the car a couple years ago when my idle started to get lumpy and it fixed that problem. I was thinking of this again but the engine I have now doesnt have one. I read on here that all auto tegs had one even 96 and up. Could that be my problem. I tried cleaning the Iacv and bleeding the coolant but that didnt do anything..... So the car only idles at 750-800 when the temp guage reads just under half and I shut the car off and then turn it back on. Also after doing this and I drive the car it goes back to 1100rpm at idle. Thanks for any inputs.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think crx's have a fitv do they?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *** How-To*** Clean Your FITV aka Fast Idle Thermo Valve (Das Schmoo)

Originally Posted by Dartanian
Good writeup.

In the Helm's, it states that it shouldn't be disassembled, just replaced when it is suspected to have gone bad. I guess you proved that wrong.

The big question is...did it fix your problem?
does anyone know why Helm's states taht it shouldn't be dissasembled ?

Originally Posted by wildoutwhitegsr

I never had a problem with my FITV, I just decided to do a write up to help out the other members with there idle problems.
then how did you conclude that cleaning it can possibly fix at defective idle problem?

also, how does it being dirty affect the FITV from working as it should?

thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Trial User

AWESOME my FITV looks very clean im going to clean it up anyways I notice the white adjustible thing was hardly tighted at all few threads im going to tighten it up with tuning in mind hope it works
Old 04-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Trial User

I have a 1990 prelude with a 2.1 engine. the idle was too high when it was cold as soon as it warmed up, the idle was going up and down. I tried to clean the iacv but it didn't do anything to help my problem. from reading your comments I went ahead and disassembled the fitv. I cleaned it with some throttle cleaner and I put it back on my intake. that made the difference in my idle . its back to normal. I almost bought the IACV thinking that that was the problem I just saved about $240+
thank you guys
Old 05-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 94 ls integra and I have the same problem with my rpms at normal temp staying around 1200-2000rpms. This occurs until i pump the gas really quick then it goes to about 750-1000rpms.

I have taken and cleaned both IACV and FITV. It feels a little better than before but it still didnt solve my issue. I didnt screw in the center all the way down. it was a about 3 revolutions counterclockwise from the bottom. It took about 3 revolutions to install it back to the original position.

Should i have screwed it in all the way down and if I screw it down all the way is it going to drop below the 750rpms when the vehicle is at normal temp?

Also When i took apart the IACV cleaning the inside became to be a challenge since i could still see the carbon build up even after spraying it with brake cleaner. Almost used the whole bottle trying to clean it out lol. It looked much better just dont know if I was able to clean it as well as it should of been cleaned.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just swapped a 96 GSR B18C1 into my 90 CRX Si. I am in startup mode. I've started it. It runs, idles, revs fine UNTIL warmed up. When it warms up, it idles down to like 3-500rpm and will NOT rev at all. If I give it throttle at all, it will bog. If I don't let off of the throttle, it will die. My cold start idle is bout 12-1500rpm. I'm stumped on what is causing this. Could you help? Any suggestions?
Old 06-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cleaned this as well as IAC, car idles better now at a standstill, however have something funny happening which I was trying to eliminate. Drive car (auto civic ex), slowing down, car downshifts to it's first gear and once I hit around 1k RPM, it kicks the rpm's up a little to say 1200-1300 then settles back down. Reset ECU, cleaned IAC/FITV, anyone else have this little gremlin?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Trial User

Default Re: *** How-To*** Clean Your FITV aka Fast Idle Thermo Valve (wildoutwhitegsr)

The IACV--Idle Air Control Valve impacts the idle speed at operating temp

If this is true what happens when it fails cus i am currently going through a weird experience where i was driving and all of a sudden my car kicked and my car wouldn't accelerate. Everytime i pressed the gas pedal it accelerated like it was in neutral. My steering wheel was hard to turn and the brakes wouldn't work but all my electronics were still functioning

any ideas?????................
Old 07-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice write up. i will check this out asap.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice write only took me like 20 mins to do everything. didnt think that it was gonna work cause mine was even that dirty but worked like a charm
Old 09-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I cleaned my IACV on my 91 teg and it still had a surging idle. Cleaned the FITV, took like 15 mins haha. Purrs like a kitten now! Thanks!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my car starts up fine, but when I drive it...then its starts to idle up and down at a complete stop almost as if I'm reving it. I bought the car with a Blox throttle body. Would you recommend cleaning it???
Old 09-09-2010, 08:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

will cleaning this help with rough starts? I know high idle until wamred up is normal mine sits RIGHT AT 1500 rpm for about 10 minutes (which is way too long for my impatient ***, is that normal?) then it goes to 750. but when it first starts up it just seems rough like it revvs up violently fast to 2000 rpm then real quick it sits at 1500 until at OT.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what kind of car is this? i have the same problem but ive got a 94 honda civic ex coupe??
Old 10-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great write up! My 90' Si hatch has an idle problem where the idle will fluctuate between 500 and 1800. Going to try this today and post again.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump good write up
Old 10-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got time to do this and I discovered that my ZC has a selenoid type FITV! However my idle fluctuation problem was solved by unplugging the the EAVC and resetting the ECU. My idle is still acting weird though, with a very high fast idle (2k) and a low regular idle (500). So I'm not sure what's going on with it at this point I'll have to investigate more.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice writeup ..took mine off today to clean it .dang it was a biatch to get to the 3 bolts and was a slow process wrenching them..but once i got it off and opened it up ..found that the white thing that unscrews on the inside had worked its way out of the threads and was just sitting in there..so ofcourse wasnt functioning properally..my car had been idling from 1k to 3k up and down up and down and was totallly annoying...screwed the white piece all the way back in .cleaned everything and put it all back together and back on ..and now my car purrs like a kitten....yay.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you so much man we was having a problem with the idle going up and down it was bad like couldnt even stop at a light without people looking but with your write up i had it fix in no time.. YOU THE MAN ... once again thank.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great write up man it fixed my problem on my da with b16 swap, i was going crazy cuz I didnt knew what the problem Was

Quick Reply: *** How-To*** Clean Your FITV aka Fast Idle Thermo Valve