Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

90 accord overheating problem(already searched)

Old 03-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (vtecgsr98)

new timing belt and water pump were put in today. Got a call around 2:00 and the cars still overheating. He said hes gonna take the head off because he thinks the head gasket is bad or it might even have a cracked head. I asked him how much a head would be and he said it would probably be cheaper to just got a whole used motor since he can get them for 300 bucks. Hes gonna start to work on it again tomorrow morning and call me and let me know, hopefully its just the gasket and that it. What would be some signs of a cracked head?? The car runs great, idles perfect and everything. He got everthing done with the t-belt and water pump and took it around the block and after about 15 minutes it was right up to the red like it was doing b4. Lets just hope for the head gasket...
Old 03-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If, as you say, the bottom radiator hose never gets hot. You have a coolant circulation problem. I don't see how a head gasket could cause that. I would test the thermostat, or take it out, and see if it still overheats.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:26 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecgsr98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">new timing belt and water pump were put in today. Got a call around 2:00 and the cars still overheating. He said hes gonna take the head off because he thinks the head gasket is bad or it might even have a cracked head. I asked him how much a head would be and he said it would probably be cheaper to just got a whole used motor since he can get them for 300 bucks. Hes gonna start to work on it again tomorrow morning and call me and let me know, hopefully its just the gasket and that it. What would be some signs of a cracked head?? The car runs great, idles perfect and everything. He got everthing done with the t-belt and water pump and took it around the block and after about 15 minutes it was right up to the red like it was doing b4. Lets just hope for the head gasket...</TD></TR></TABLE>

woooo hold on there,,,,,DO NOT let this guy remove the head because ( HE THINKS ?? THE HEAD GASKET IS BLOWN?? what kind of a judgement is that ??
tell him to do a LEAKAGE TEST ,, than he can properly DIAGNOSE ..if there is a crack on the head or a blown gasket.......
here is the scoop and it has been told to you by some other guys here.......
if you start the car and let it warm up,, the top radiator hose should feel hot, the lower radiator hose should feel hot as well but not as hot as the top hose.........if the lower hose feels warm or cool,,,, You got either a stuck closed t-stat,, corroded fins on the water pump.. but since you just hat it replaced i would take a look at the t-stat.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (accord-pro)

maybe he did the leak test alrady. if he did then what is the problem that is why he said "I THINK" cause he cannot see any coolant leaks............mechanics don't tell you step by step what they did.....

My mechanic just tells me what is wrong and then I ask them how they know and they will tell me. A lot of people do not want to know how the mechanic came to that conclusion, they just want the car fixed...... and most people don't really understand much about how engines work....

I would definately place my $$$ on internal engine failure at this point since everything else checks out........

He's already corrected the fans not working issue
He's already power flushed the system
He's already replaced the t-stat
He's already checked the Radiator
He's already checked for leaks

Now here is what I thinked happened

Car overheats multiple times due to cooling system component failure and unfortunately by the time he was able to get the other problems fixed, the engine blew a gasket or cracked a head/block

Modified by YeuEmMaiMai at 9:55 AM 3/30/2006
Old 03-31-2006, 05:19 AM

Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (YeuEmMaiMai)

yo YEU........regarding your comment,,,,,,,,
would you rather have a tech say.........I thing the head gasket is blown
OR

would you rather a tech say,, i did a leakage test # 1 cylinder has a 60% leak, engine has a blown head gasket.or cracked head

A GOOD PRO TECH .. one who has no or hardly any comebacks does the job right the first time , he diagnoses the problem properly he does not guess,, once you start to guess the comebacks will pile up, or the customer gets screwed for being charged something that did not need to be done

A Good Pro TecH .. works by the V.D.V.R.V
v... VERIFY CUSTOMER COMPLAINT
D....DIAGNOSE THE COMPLAINT
V....VERIFY THAT WHAT HE DIAGNOSED IS CORRECT
R....REPAIR WHAT HE DIAGNOSED
V...VERIFY THAT IT IS FIXED

Now this guy keeps on saying the the lower radiator hose is not getting hot,, a blown headgasket will not prevent that . what would prevent that is poor or no circulation,, t-stat, water pump, etc etc
Now i am not saying the head gasket could not be blown because of all the overheating like you stated,,, alL i was saying a tech just does not come over and says I THINK ........and if the lower radiator hose is cold car has other problems

And one last thing for you,,, I have read a few of your posts and you are the guy that seem to think that dealer techs are gods, they are the only ones that can fix a problem properly....WAKE UP .......I could tell you stories about a few dealer techs.
and you seem to put down shops that specialize on Hondas,,,,,,well.. where the HELL do you think these guys got the training???? these are the same guys that worked on your car a few years back ..........You loved them then and you bash them now????

Old 03-31-2006, 06:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wait a sec here

you have to read what I said......there were multiple problems all successfully fixed by the person so far.....

If my mechanic told me that he believes the head is blown and all of the problems leading to that were fixed (such as the bad relay and temp senors) I would be OK with it becuase I trust him since they have been working on my cars for 4+ years.

I am willing to give this guy the same amt of slack assuming that he has covered all of the bases with his mechanic

and please quit comming of like an moron OK? I know how to fix my car but I am in a situation where I don't have to worrry about it. My Local dealer EARNED my trust by fixing my car right the first time every time and being within the price range of the local shops.

Now when my dealer told me to take my '98 accord to an independant trans shop because of the:

A. cost difference (almost $2 grand)

and

B they are better equiped to fix the problem than just doing a swap (IE I STILL HAVE THE SAME TRANS IN THE CAR)

Now if my dealer changes me $730 for a t-belt including water pump and everything else and the local shop wants $700, I'll stick with the people who I know can fix my car....and use HONDA PARTS versus the guy who may or may not use Honda parts depending upon what he can get the cheapest and mark up the most.......

If the OP trusts his mechanic and if his mechanic has done a good job in the past I see no reason to not trust him now....

Do you even spend time in this forum? I don't think so because it is full of people who have f'd up cars that were fixed by local mechanics and were worse off than they would have been if they just went to the dealer......just the other day someone had their brother's shop do a t-belt and the mechanic screwed it up

SO before you open your mouth and start assuming things maybe you should actually read what I write......

If the local Honda dealer f's up your car at least you can fall back on HOA for assistance.........they are actually very good people if you treat them right....
Old 03-31-2006, 07:03 AM

I have to agree with what has been said. From what I have read you've been trying to correct this yourself so I'm guessing you have at least a rudimentary knowledge of how an engine works.

Letting a mechanic open up your engine to explore a problem without telling you why he "thinks" that component is the problem is like having a health problem and the Doctor decides to do Exploratory surgery without telling you why he thinks he needs to and not telling you if he has run any other tests.

It's very easy to tell if there is a head problem by a combination of leak tests. If the mechanic is telling you "He Thinks" I wouldn't trust that opinion very far. If there is actually a head issue he should be able to say "Your head gasket is bad or head is cracked. I'm pulling the head to find out "WHICH"." There shouldn't be any question in that mechanics mind..........

Personally you never said you were losing coolant so my first thoughts are clogged hoses/radiator or bad thermostat.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (gsdreams)

hey sorry ive been bust the last couple days guys. He tried pulling the thermostat on the car to see what it would do before he did the leakdown test an the car isnt overheating now. Im driving the car around without it in it for right now, i just dont see how it could be a bad thermostat cause i put a new one in and a new one was installed b4 i got the car. I do have a good knowledge about cars so i wouldnt let him pull the head and do anything else without doing a leakdown test and all. Im kinda stumped right now that its runnin fine without a thermostat just really cold and goes up half way at stop signs. It cant be a bad thermostat, im leanin towards a bad headgasket or a craked block right now...
Old 03-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Farts in the shower

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecgsr98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey sorry ive been bust the last couple days guys. He tried pulling the thermostat on the car to see what it would do before he did the leakdown test an the car isnt overheating now. Im driving the car around without it in it for right now, i just dont see how it could be a bad thermostat cause i put a new one in and a new one was installed b4 i got the car. I do have a good knowledge about cars so i wouldnt let him pull the head and do anything else without doing a leakdown test and all. Im kinda stumped right now that its runnin fine without a thermostat just really cold and goes up half way at stop signs. It cant be a bad thermostat, im leanin towards a bad headgasket or a craked block right now...</TD></TR></TABLE>

No thermostat and it doesn't overheat means the water pump is still good. I would STILL put in an oem t-stat and see if that does the trick. For some reason I highly doubt it's a bad head gasket because you're not losing coolant and your car isn't smoking...NTM I doubt it's a cracked block. I say give the t-stat another try.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the car doesn't overheat with the thermostat removed, the thermostat was the problem. What makes you think the head gasket is blown? Is there another problem? I don't understand this. Enlighten me.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (BLKFLSH)

As people have said, if the problem goes away with no thermostat there is your problem.

FYI did you flush the cooling system yet? Did you flush it with either thermostat in or with both in?

If you did that could damage a thermostat. Most of your better flushes say to remove the thermostat........

Old 03-31-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (YeuEmMaiMai)

yo yeu............you know how to fix your car..??? what did you do? change a flat tire once???or did you replace wiper inserts ?? all i ever read from you is ,i took car to dealer for this or for that ...dealer this, dealer that

As for my knowledge ..I got more knowledge on Hondas on my Pinky nail than you will ever get the rest of your life ''

And by the way ,,,did you read what the fix was ... A BAD T-STAT ...i think i mentioned that once or twice ..

gee what happen to ,,,I THING there is a blown head gasket or a cracked head.?
that was such a crack of **** comment for a tech to make without doing any diagnostic work to verify it .. what would have happened if it was your car , and you told the DEALER TECH to go ahead and pull the head off ....think about that for a few seconds before you answer ...ooooooooops ,, they would have installed a new head gasket, new t-stat and charged you for a head job,,and all it needed was a t-stat ..WAKE UP man stop idolizing dealer techs..there are good and bad techs all over ,,including dealers ... and the way that tech came across is not the way a good tech would have ...

If you do not know what you are talking about, just read and learn .
Old 03-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If this guy has an exhaust gas analyzer in his shop, have him hold the probe over the open Radiator fill with the engine running. If you've got a blown head gasket, he'll get elevated hydrocarbon readings (exhaust by-produces getting into the coolant). Another hint of a blown gasket is surging coolant in the Radiator as large bubbles try to make their way out.

I suspect you've a large air bubble which is resisting the standard purge routine. have this nimrod of a "repair guy" raise the front tires off the ground by (at least) a foot and run the engine with the radiator cap off.

P
Old 03-31-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (P_Adams)

YO P- such an hansome guy you are,,, Now ,,,about the salt and pepper ,no disrespect but i see a lot of salt and sun tan...where is the pepper ???

Old 03-31-2006, 09:45 PM

Uhmm, Accord-Pro this is his car. If he had put a head + t-stat in it that would probably have cost him the money, no one else.

I haven't read his old posts, but I also tend to take any newer vehicle (15 years or newer) to a dealer. Primarily because they know that vehicle better than anyone else in the area 99% of the time.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok,Ok so I have to retouch the photo... satisfied?

It's either that or a picture of Pierce Bronson (or an Older Connery); but I'd rather stick with Truth in Advertising

RE: gsdreams... He really doesn't know you does he??

I'm waiting for the other shoe........

P
Old 03-31-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (P_Adams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P_Adams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok,Ok so I have to retouch the photo... satisfied?

It's either that or a picture of an Older Connery);

P </TD></TR></TABLE>

ehy that is already taken
Old 04-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (Honda-Master)

Just wondering. Could the thermostat have been installed wrong? Isn't there supposed to be a notch, to let the air go through? Could it be installed upside down?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (BLKFLSH)

the thermostat was installed correctly. It has arrows on it pointing which way it should go that says "to radiator". I guess that i am just gonna get a honda thermostat and see if that fixes it, i just dont think it could be it since i put 2 new ones in it already which werent honda ones , but the chances of two of them being bad are slim to none. The cars over my friends house now, hes gonna bring his leak tester and some other things home and were gonna do a compression test and leak down test this weekend to see if it is the head gasket...
Old 04-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The engine does not overheat with the thermostat out, right? Then the thermostat was causing the overheating. What other problems do you have, that you think the head gasket is blown? You seem to have found the problem, and you still keep troubleshooting. ????????
Old 04-01-2006, 06:28 PM

When you get a Honda thermostat, you will see a HUGE difference between it and whatever cheapo, aftermarket thermostat you are using. It has a much larger opening and allows much more flow. You won't be the first person on this site with a 2 or 3 page thread chasing a cooling problem that knew it couldn't be the thermostat that they had already replaced multiple times.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (amckee)

i left the car at my friends house last night and rode home with my fiance. We went and picked it up this morning and she followed me home and said there was alot of white smoke coming out of my exhaust and when i got home and popped the hood there was coolant going on to the overflow but it wasnt overheating at all, the guage didnt even go past the "c" part since there is still no thermostat in it and it was cool out. So it looks like its something other then the thermostat.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also had to add coolant the last couple days, so its losing coolant also..
Old 04-02-2006, 08:06 AM

Thermo is easy to check. Heat up some water with a thermo in it. When it hits 180 to 190 it should open. You can see this happen. Then you know the Thermostat is good.

sometimes a bad radiator cap can cause overheating. Yea a cap. Its rare but it happens. A dirty radiator can do this also. Look at the fins and see if its all dirty or roted. If it is replace the radiator. I have had to do this to my 91 already.

If the lower hose is cold, you are not getting proper flow. You should try to use the bleeder for the coolent system to check the system out. Use that to blow air threw your coolent system to see if you have flow out the lower hose.

Or if you have a tester you can attach it to the top of the radiator and do the same thing. There is a good chance that you might just have some blockage somewhere. Hopefully you dont have to do a full tear down to fix it.

How is the flow without the Thermostat installed? is the lower hose getting warm at all now? if not then you for sure have a blockage in your coolent system.

Good luck
Old 04-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched) (hawkimport)

flow without the thermostat is good. Im just trying to figure out why I still have coolant going into the overflow and alot of white smoke coming out of my exhaust. The coolant is going into the overflow even with the thermostat removed and the car not overheating. The guage doesnt even move off of cold since it is circulating good now...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 90 accord overheating problem(already searched)