Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Power windows always getting off track

Old 04-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (808_si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 808_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you might not need a new regulator just yet. go and get some silicon lubricant spray and lube up those rubber tracks. Sometimes it falls off because it doesn't slide well enough...it helps with the slow windows too...</TD></TR></TABLE>

+2
works very well
Old 04-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (central_driver)

It's not a window regulator, I had this problem on my 2000 si with power windows.

There are grooves instead of holes where the window bolts up to the track (on the bottom) make sure that it's aligned correctly.

Avoid shutting the door when the windows are down. At least raise them 5-6 inches before you get out.

1st time mine got off track it took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to get fixed (did it myself)
2nd time took 90 minutes
3rd time took 30 minutes
and sooner or later, I just kept a 1/4" rachet wrench with a 10mm socket in my driver's door pocket and could get it back on track in less than ten minutes.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:18 PM

i have the same problem, just dont put my window down all the way but that is annoying so i think i will try the silicone spray. anyone have any issues with having silicone residue on your windows when they are up?
Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Power windows always getting off track (central_driver)

for good info. I thought I was the only one that had this probem in my 00 si. for crappy windows!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power windows always getting off track (SiCiViC2000)

when ever you replace the window regulator its a good idea to replaced the run channel as well
Old 04-05-2006, 04:18 AM

it's a two door right? it's funny b/c i have a four door and my rear windows when i roll them down they go down kind of go down sideways but they never get off track, my front window (driver side) rattles alot when it is half way down. my brother has a two door ej8, and his window kept on sliding off the track and he kept on fixing it and finally our mom decided to take it to a shop and the person did the same flippin thing my brother did and sure enough the window fell right off the track the next day, i think you might need new rails.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Power windows always getting off track (d16lxciv)

i dont got power windows but both my windows on my 97 hatch get off track, makes me wanna go buy new doors cause im always fixing it
Old 04-05-2006, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power windows always getting off track (92eg6)

If it's going down straight and not sticking in the rails you may also need to adjust the rails. Move the bolt on the bottom of the rail to tighten it up a little...
Old 04-05-2006, 07:19 AM
aak

Default Re: Power windows always getting off track (miahmouse)

if the regulator/motor is working, the problem is the window channels. i've seen people replace regulators, and almost immediatly the window comes off track. the channels get bent due to the shifting of loose parts...screws, and things that keep the regulator in place. lf your window is coming off track when they are down all the way, and you slam your door, it sounds like your channels are bent. silicone spray will only help the window slide easier, but if the window channels aren't right, you're still going to have problems. i'm not a know it all, but i do fix this stuff for a living. hope this helps somebody.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:14 AM

Ok, I just had this problem yesterday and got the window back on track and everything is good to go mechanically. I'm having trouble getting the damn panel back on though. Its about 2mm too high, but it still clicks back into place and the trim that fits right against the interior of the window is way off. Any help?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the Hillbillies and Shotguns, Ontario, Canada
Default Re: (Froznface)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Froznface &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, I just had this problem yesterday and got the window back on track and everything is good to go mechanically. I'm having trouble getting the damn panel back on though. Its about 2mm too high, but it still clicks back into place and the trim that fits right against the interior of the window is way off. Any help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try to take it off and re-install it, which is bitch but slide the top edge in first (the hardest part, then once you have that lines up slide done, then try to visually see the clips lining up to the holes on the door then push the panel on.

Your door pnael's probably not on correctly.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

putting on the door panel SUCKS!! patience though, so you don't break anything.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:43 AM

Finally got the damn thing back on after cursing it many times and dicking with it for 2 hours last night. The freakin trim at the top just wouldn't line up. Grrrr.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:32 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah my door panel wont go on right either. The damn tweeter is in the way, the lock latch doesnt sit flush either. I dont see how to hook up the factory tweeter when the panel is back on. Just may have to take it to the dealership.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:12 AM

i had this problem too, but i had to replace all the brackets that hold the window inside, from what i read its a common problem for 96-00 civics
Old 04-06-2006, 08:16 AM

ok well here is my problem..... if I roll my window down about hafe way I can grab my window and lift it like 2inches.... and it also comes off the track I tryed bending the lower part of the rain I tryed lubing it nothing seams to work..... the bad part is I use to leave it up like 6 inches and it would be fine now it comes off then 2 .... it seams to come out of the track when im rolling it up! any help would be nice
Old 04-06-2006, 08:56 AM

I have that happening on my passenger side in my del sol. My car got broken into a while back and I had this cheap mexican to get me a window and put it in and he didnt even do it right. I should have done it but the adhesive is dry and I'm not goanna mess it up any more than it is. but I think Rays_si 's advice will fix both our problems
Old 04-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ANBERLIN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah my door panel wont go on right either. The damn tweeter is in the way, the lock latch doesnt sit flush either. I dont see how to hook up the factory tweeter when the panel is back on. Just may have to take it to the dealership.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya i took that metal bracket on top of the door off, then i got it on, like if you star where the front of the panel is in the middle of the window, get that on, slide it forward you can get the whole thing on. its a PITA, but once you figure it out its not bad, ya i can get the door panel off window fixed and panel on in about 30 min now, in the dark with my cell phone as a light lol.

Good info, ill try the sillicone, and being gentle on the doors.

Nate
Old 04-06-2006, 06:19 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ammadien)

metal bracket? Its been awhile since I looked at it.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:47 AM

The metal bracket that Ammadien is refering to is the trim piece that has the rubberized piece that rests against the window attached to it, I believe. I didn't have to remove this piece, but that might make it easier. The real trick is that this trim piece angles down sharply at the tweeter. The tweeter housing actually sits on top of this piece when it is in correctly. Take a look at your other door for reference.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:50 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Froznface &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The metal bracket that Ammadien is refering to is the trim piece that has the rubberized piece that rests against the window attached to it, I believe. I didn't have to remove this piece, but that might make it easier. The real trick is that this trim piece angles down sharply at the tweeter. The tweeter housing actually sits on top of this piece when it is in correctly. Take a look at your other door for reference.</TD></TR></TABLE> I know how it sits, but when I was doing this before I could not get it to go under that damn tweeter. Is the metal bracket the strip with the tabs that you bend in or out to hold it in place? If so that little sucker at the end would pop out on me and I would have to stop and fix it nearly everytime. For those of you who removed it....does the window function fine with it not being there???
Old 04-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes your window will still work without the tweeter on. Check the weather seal on the outside of the window, its the little black strip that runs along the edge. I just fixed mine and thats what caused it all. Either grease it up and roll it up and down until its smooth or get a replacement from honda. Signs of this are your window will not roll all the way down or it will slide of the track at the top. just some more info. PEACE
Old 04-07-2006, 09:13 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (projEKtjokes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projEKtjokes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes your window will still work without the tweeter on. </TD></TR></TABLE> No not the tweeter, the little metal bracket.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bense
It's not a window regulator, I had this problem on my 2000 si with power windows.

There are grooves instead of holes where the window bolts up to the track (on the bottom) make sure that it's aligned correctly.

Avoid shutting the door when the windows are down. At least raise them 5-6 inches before you get out.

1st time mine got off track it took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to get fixed (did it myself)
2nd time took 90 minutes
3rd time took 30 minutes
and sooner or later, I just kept a 1/4" rachet wrench with a 10mm socket in my driver's door pocket and could get it back on track in less than ten minutes.

LOL i only had my driver window off track but last night my passenger went off track too. been messing with the window and also keep a 10mm in my car
Old 09-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power windows always getting off track

Originally Posted by 808_si
you might not need a new regulator just yet. go and get some silicon lubricant spray and lube up those rubber tracks. Sometimes it falls off because it doesn't slide well enough...it helps with the slow windows too...
OMG that WORKED too WELL. I love honda-tech