Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

What'll cause my engine to violently shake? (besides motor mounts)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What'll cause my engine to violently shake? (besides motor mounts)

i done a search and it didnt explain too clear to me what'll be a culprit in causing my engine to violently shake. aside from mounts of course. im curious to know if a mis-timed belt can cause it to shake,or a worn belt. or can a worn belt slip and end up being mis-timed afterwards? just a bunch of things that hit me cause lately she been doing a HARD HARD shake. and when i give her some gas she'll shake even harder until i hit like 25-30,but i cant hold the pedal there. i'd have to float her so the shaking would stop. at idle she shakes hard aswell. and when i look under the hood she idles while shaking,but the moment i hear the idle sounding smooth the shaking stops aswell. she shakes hard,but theres moments inbetween her shaking thats normal. so can it be a belt slipped and winded up on the wrong marking or whatever?
Old 01-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What'll cause my engine to violently shake? (Thunder Cat)

AC compressor?

I had the bearing seize in a compressor on a Chevy truck once. The compressor was engaged by an electronic clutch that came on when you turned on the AC or the defrost. When that clucth engaged and tried to spin the compressor, it shook pretty violently.

Good Luck, Chris
Old 01-11-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: What'll cause my engine to violently shake? (Lowski)

Ok, a couple thoughts. How the heck do you know that the engine is shaking when your at 25-30? (unless your on a dyno). Motor mounts are designed to hold to motor in place and keep the movement (shaking) to a minimum. Therefor if your engine is shaking really badly, there is obviously something wrong with one or more or your engine mounts.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: What'll cause my engine to violently shake? (Thunder Cat)

It sounds to be a mis-firing cylinder (not producing power). You've got (in effect) a firing order like:
1,3,[skip],4

It smooths out at speed because the rotational speed of the engine goes faster.

It could be a loss of compression
A bad vacuum leak
No spark energy to one cylinder

Start digging

P
Old 01-11-2006, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What'll cause my engine to violently shake? (zumiez007)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zumiez007 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, a couple thoughts. How the heck do you know that the engine is shaking when your at 25-30? (unless your on a dyno). Motor mounts are designed to hold to motor in place and keep the movement (shaking) to a minimum. Therefor if your engine is shaking really badly, there is obviously something wrong with one or more or your engine mounts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i beg to differ but aside the mounts ,, if you have a misfire on any 1 cylinder or 2 ,,the engine will shake, especially worse under light accell........

Yo thunder make sure you dont have a misfire on a cylinder.. get insulated plier so you won't get shocked and pull the wires 1 at a time from the cap, see how it effects the engine,if 1 does not make any changes in runnubility , that cylinder is not firing , chk plug, wires, make sure injectors are clicking ,, if they are all ok chk compression,,

Old 01-12-2006, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

with the engine on and running:

you want me to pull a plug off ONE at a time from the dizzy cap? how do i check an injector to see if its clicking? and when you say check compression,wouldnt i need that compression tester? yes that sounds like a stupid question,but i DO know very little,so im just being sure.

and P_Adams:

i checked on HT for vacuum leaks and only ONE thread popped up. all it said was to run some WD40 into the line and the idle would change when the WD passes a leak in the hose. i'll try and see if i can locate the hose first

oh and nobody answered my question about the belts

Modified by Thunder Cat at 5:44 AM 1/12/2006
Old 01-12-2006, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: (Thunder Cat)

A quicker method to locating a vacuum leak.
Can 'o' Carburetor cleaner...
Stay away from the ignition wires (I suspect them as a possible problem)
keeping to small areas, spray the carb cleaner in the area you suspect. If there is a vacuum leak, the engine rpm will rise in reaction.
How?
The Carb Cleaner is a fuel (It burns), and when it finds its way into the engine (along with an oxygen supply) it's going to contribute to whats there already

P
Old 01-12-2006, 05:45 AM

yo Thunder,,,,,,,,,a worn belt will not cause the shake,,,,, Now if you had a t-belt done recently, and someone badly misaligned the balancer shafts , that could also create an engine vibration
Old 01-12-2006, 06:40 AM

Default Re: (P_Adams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P_Adams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A quicker method to locating a vacuum leak.
Can 'o' Carburetor cleaner...
Stay away from the ignition wires (I suspect them as a possible problem)
keeping to small areas, spray the carb cleaner in the area you suspect. If there is a vacuum leak, the engine rpm will rise in reaction.
How?
The Carb Cleaner is a fuel (It burns), and when it finds its way into the engine (along with an oxygen supply) it's going to contribute to whats there already

P</TD></TR></TABLE>

woow, that's a very smart idea... imma keep it mind for the future

and dude, you might been having the firing order messed up for a while and that shaking have broken your mounts, and the shaking is even obviously now.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there was no shaking before!

the only shaking that i can recall that happened RECENTLY was in reverse. P ADAM already told me about my rear motor mount. and even then-the shaking wasnt as HARD as it is now. and even then-the shaking only occured during reverse. now she shakes while i drive or idle her. its a pretty hard shake so dont think i wouldnt have noticed a prior shake whether it was small or not.

can my timing belt slip out of place and cause the shaking though? thats my question. or p/s or alt. belt.

my first guess was that since i had a bad REAR mount,the front one is wearing out now since the weight distribution is un-even. right or wrong i would like to know for sure. i'll try that vacuum leakage test out,but first i'll replace the dizzy cap/rotor/wires/plugs. then i'll post up again. i barely have time to even watch tv let alone stand outside in the freezing cold to work on the car. expletive man
Old 01-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what about transmission problems? can it be a culprit?

anyway:

i was told NGK for my honda is fine straight from autozone. to get what i want,can someone tell me the proper # sparkplug for a stock accord? 5F or 6F? also can i get the rotor/dizzy cap from autozone too or should i drive down to the dealer. i ask this because of the bad shake she got and the dealer is across town for me.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:03 AM

plugs..NGK..ZFR5F-11,,,,,,,,get those at autozone is cheaper than dealer ,, but as for cap and rotor i would go factory parts
Old 01-16-2006, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump.....guys i do need someone to answer my last few Q's...like can transmission be it...and remember my had p/s dampening my pulleys? can the belts slip from their mark? ANY belt?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is it an auto transmission?

no your a/c, p/s, or alt belts would not cause a "shake"

a jumped timing belt could I suppose

have you tried what P said? remove one plug wire at a time to see if the motor sound changes? try that!

Old 01-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah its an auto

bumping...parts been ordered by a friend finally. she been busy. anyway,i dont drive my car,only move her for alternate side parking rules. i noticed if i start her up and drive,shes fine. but if i warm her up,the moment shes close to normal temperature,you'll feel the shake coming. it starts off with a few bursts of light shakes that lead into the full heavy shake. just a description. btw i havent checked that vacuum **** yet.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thunder, have you done anything P and HM told you to do? Shut up, and do it. Then come back with some results. You have a hard head dude. Stop asking questions, and do what they told you. They are trying desperately to help you out, and you make it harder, by not listening. Sorry, if I'm a little harsh.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

np lol. i just said the parts been ordered just recently because bla bla bla. and this last upping of my own post was to tell what i noticed aswell,but never mentioned. its cool