Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny?

hey guys, I found a really nice transmission to buy for my engine swap(b-series) and I'm just wondering how do you guys like driving with the cable/hydraulic conversion kit on the cable transmission to make it compatible with the car?

Is it a noticeable difference between the hydraulic transmission?

thanks
Old 01-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny? (Mr.RHTuner)

i wouldnt do it
Old 01-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would stick with hydro
Old 01-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny? (Mr.RHTuner)

My EG coupe that i sold had a 93 LS swap in it, there was no problem running it with the cable tranny, the clutch felt more stiff than a regular hydro version but other than that it was fine, I used to drive it 250 miles a day and had no issues at all. If u run one u need to get an intermediate shaft/axles for that gen tranny as the the bolt pattern wont line up with a hydro int shaft since its a lil different in length than the other. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny? (dohcVTECeg2)

I would like to get hydro but around here people are selling hydro transmissions off 2000 Si for 600 bucks and that's not even with LSD.

the transmission I found has LSD and it's a Y1 so has I believe the shortest gearing for the SiR's and that will go good with the way I want to race this car.

yes I know I would rather had hydraulic but I'm not going to pay the money they want here for a non-lsd transmission.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:27 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we did a swap like that before, and it had astronomical pedal pressure.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny? (boostedcivicsir)

with the extra money it costs to make a cable work on a hydro car, you might as well buy a hydro tranny
Old 01-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny? (MugenHonda)

I've never driven a car w/ a conversion on it.. but my 1st gen rex had a cable tranny in it, and I actually prefered the cable feel over the hydro.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny? (mwieczorek43)

I prefer the cable too - you can actually tell when the clutch is about to crap itself with those at least.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:34 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny? (lifeofbean)

BUT, with the cable conversion, it changes the fulcrum point where the pressure is applied. making the pedal hard ***. if you want to upgrade clutches later, the pressure gets rediculous. i WILL NOT ever do that conversion. plus it is a pain in the *** to bleed.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny? (boostedcivicsir)

it works fine, just as long as you have a good conversion kit and if you place the brackets in the correct position so you don't get any dead pedal feel. I ran my 97 hatch that way for almost 2 years before I sold the car with no problems and I raced it at teh track to.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny? (StReEt TuNeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BUT, with the cable conversion, it changes the fulcrum point where the pressure is applied. making the pedal hard ***. if you want to upgrade clutches later, the pressure gets rediculous. i WILL NOT ever do that conversion. plus it is a pain in the *** to bleed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice. Good to know

::runs and writes that down::
Old 01-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny? (MugenHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MugenHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with the extra money it costs to make a cable work on a hydro car, you might as well buy a hydro tranny</TD></TR></TABLE>

what are you smoking?
the cable-hydro conversion costs under 150.00 and I already have it from a friend

thanks for the feedback guys
Old 01-05-2006, 11:31 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

I know it's about preference but IMO

Cable ownz hydro.

When I swapped, oh man, it was night and day. So much smoother, less mechanical, more feel, less choppy, more precise. I'm in love with my cable tranny. I've literally greased up my throwout bearing and had sex with it.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny? (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know it's about preference but IMO

Cable ownz hydro.

When I swapped, oh man, it was night and day. So much smoother, less mechanical, more feel, less choppy, more precise. I'm in love with my cable tranny. I've literally greased up my throwout bearing and had sex with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

can you give me some info on what car you have, motor/tranny? what hydro-cable conversion kit did you use man?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I could go either way, but people seem to like cable better, because you get
a better feel. I guess it's the same way with shift linkage too Rods &gt; Cable.

I'm just throwing this out there because I'd like to hear some opinions
is it true that cable tranny's hold up better that hydro under high horsepower
conditions?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:23 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny? (Vintech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.RHTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can you give me some info on what car you have, motor/tranny? what hydro-cable conversion kit did you use man?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I guess I am sort of biased. I swapped out my D15B7 to a k24a2 using an rsx -s tranny. Now that was done in an EG hatch so I had to convert an originally hydro car to accomodate a cable tranny. No problem. Cut a hole through the lower part of the firewall and you're golden.

I dont' know anything about the B series hydro/cable stuff but I'm just saying that IMO cable &gt; hydro trannies. Even if you're not sure, since it comes with LSD and is that cheap and considering your alternatives, I'd get it for sure.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:35 AM
rk

anybody have some more info on cable transmissions over hydraulic?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man....thanks for puttin together the last few H-T Meet's....you've done an excellent job throughout the years with that, RHTuner.

Now back to the point, I live just about an hour north of you and I'm doing THIS VERY swap this Spring, April/Mayish....I will be runnin Brians (Hasport) Hydro/cable kit, on a PGM-Fi JDM B16a with S1 tranny, into a 1992 EH2 CX. Actually I'll have it runnin complete at your next Spring H-T meet. I've heard nothing but POSITIVE feedback WITH BRIAN's kit....there are other kit's out there but I WILL only be runnin Brians. I've heard enough positive about it to A) Spend the money on HIS kit, B) actually do the swap and run an S1 tranny...C) Finally, had the PGM-FI B16 and S1 tranny kit layin around, why not use it. I've seen the kit and talked with guys at your past H-T meet's and CRX N10/N11 meets and they all LOVED the kit and runnin cable trannies in Hydro car's....this is why I'm doin this swap.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody running a b-series EG/EK hatch with a cable tranny? (1250b18c5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1250b18c5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey man....thanks for puttin together the last few H-T Meet's....you've done an excellent job throughout the years with that, RHTuner.

Now back to the point, I live just about an hour north of you and I'm doing THIS VERY swap this Spring, April/Mayish....I will be runnin Brians (Hasport) Hydro/cable kit, on a PGM-Fi JDM B16a with S1 tranny, into a 1992 EH2 CX. Actually I'll have it runnin complete at your next Spring H-T meet. I've heard nothing but POSITIVE feedback WITH BRIAN's kit....there are other kit's out there but I WILL only be runnin Brians. I've heard enough positive about it to A) Spend the money on HIS kit, B) actually do the swap and run an S1 tranny...C) Finally, had the PGM-FI B16 and S1 tranny kit layin around, why not use it. I've seen the kit and talked with guys at your past H-T meet's and CRX N10/N11 meets and they all LOVED the kit and runnin cable trannies in Hydro car's....this is why I'm doin this swap.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have some pricing info on this brians kit?

I have the JDMshit kit from a friend, it has the top tranny mount and the hydro-to cable conversion with it. I couldn't find much feedback on that kit so that's why I'm asking what others are running and what they rock.

thanks man
bart
Old 01-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.RHTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you have some pricing info on this brians kit?

I have the JDMshit kit from a friend, it has the top tranny mount and the hydro-to cable conversion with it. I couldn't find much feedback on that kit so that's why I'm asking what others are running and what they rock.

thanks man
bart</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey Man....hate to say it but you should read just a lil'closer.....notice the one and only set of parentheses in my paragraph.....ie: ()......within them says Hasport....at any rate his price is $199 American....it's the kit I AM going with...and the one that has all of the positive feedback when I've asked actual owners/users of said kit....Hasport=Brian Gillespie.

Lookin forward to seein ya again at this Spring's H-T meet.